Question about gaining homegrown status.

If I loan out a youngster, will he still count as being at my club for 5 years when the time comes to register him for my champions league squad down the road? Or do I need to stop loaning out my kids that I bring through my own academy?

so if i read it right, i can't loan him.

No, you can loan him, he needs 36 months at your club to become "Club Trained", not five years, and they can be accumulative.

Here:-

18.10 A “club-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the start of

the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during

which he turns 21), and irrespective of his nationality and age, has been

registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire

seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant

national championship and ending with the last official match of that relevant

national championship) or of 36 months.

If he spends less than 36 months at your club he can become "Association Trained" if he has spent enough time on loan in his home country to make up the difference. Here:-

18.11 An “association-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the

start of the season during which the player turns 15) and 21 (or the end of

the season during which the player turns 21), and irrespective of his

nationality and age, has been registered with a club or with other clubs

affiliated to the same association as that of his current club for a period,

continuous or not, of three entire seasons or of 36 months.

so i can loan him all but 3 years, is what that's saying? Just have a hard time understanding it i guess. I've been sending my best youngsters to Leeds and I don't think I can get them 3 years now, so I'm a bit bummed now that I realize what I've done.

Yes, if you want him to become "Trained at Club".

If Leeds is your feeder you can recall them if there is still a chance to make the 36 months. Also, (see rules 18.10) there is extra time available beyond the player's 21st birthday up to the end of that season.

They will still become "Trained in Nation" if they spend 36 months in the club's country, on loan or not. (rules 18.11)

Archived