Those funny ol' days...

What's the most interesting match you've had on FM12 so far?

My side's best and most interesting was in the Champions League quarter final. My gutsy young Honvéd side had made light work of Galatasaray in the round of 16, but coming up against Real Madrid, with the first leg in Madrid was a very different task. Having been dumped out in no uncertain terms by Real Madrid last season my side knew the quality that they were coming up against. The side were in red hot form and whilst young and inexperienced had the ability to, on their day, test Real Madrid who had faltered earlier in the competition and were lucky to get out of the group stages.

Things started in ominous fashion with Ozil beating my entire team from the kickoff to scored almost immediately. Things were looking bleak when the side failed to get out of their own half for the first 15 minutes. Then, out of nothing, 19 year old Constant Romaric took the ball from the edge of the box feeding it out to the midfield. The side broke quickly and Romaric received the ball again just inside our half before beating Pepe, Diarra and Albiol before slotting it past the on rushing Casillas. Out of nothing the side were level.

Egyptian leftback Yasser Sobhy changed the mood quickly though. First picking up a yellow card for a silly foul out wide before repeating the act within 2 minutes to leave his side with only 10 men for 70 minutes. The side would hold out to half time, barely leaving their half.

Out of habit I told the side I was disappointed with their performance being level at half time. Romaric and another player were furious, and not even praise for their performances would change their mind. The rest of the squad however seemed to understand my frustration. The side came out firing and within minutes Real's young left back Juan Perez, who was an half time injury substitute was forced to deal with a marauding Peter Ogbeide, my side's star player. His challenged earned him a straight red and nearly instantly the side were now with 10 men. The side continued this raid and when Romaric and Ogbeide combined only Casillas kept the scores level. The ensuing corner was a different story however with Ogbeide putting the kind of ball in that gives keepers nightmares. Whilst Romaric got the first touch, it was ruled that Pepe got the final one and Honvéd lead with 20 minutes to play.

It wasn't over yet and Real wanted to make us remember who the big boys were. The dominance they showed for the next 10-15 minutes was in stark constant to the previous 25 minutes and Real were unlucky to have not levelled the scored. It was all for nothing for Madrid though as another Ogbeide run brought about another rash challenge, this time from Albiol on the edge of the area. Madrid were down to 9 men with 2 minutes of injury time on the board. Young Ricardo Silvestre, a defensive midfielder who was forced into taking over Sobhy's leftback role came up to take the freekick. Having never scored a goal it was a odd choice of taker, but neither that or the 76000 Real Madrid fans could faze this kid, hamming it home low and hard past a lost Casillas. The wall was oddly enough covering the far post and this mistake was forced to pay as the youngster got his first ever career goal. So it was full time, Real Madrid 1 - 3 Budapest Honvéd.

In my current save I have put together a gritty team from Finland, AC Oulu. Im in my 5th season and have just had a brilliant run in Europe. There was one standout game however.

Starting in the 2nd Qual round, I depatched Puynik, Shamrock Rvrs and FC Copenhagen to reach the group stages. Where I was drawn against Man Utd, PSG and CSKA Moscow. Home defeat to PSG but an away win in Moscow set me up for the two back to back games against United. I beat them at home and got an incredible draw at Old Trafford. 7pts from my first 4 games was pretty good I thought.

I was beginning to feel like I had cracked it and that I would surely now qualify for the knock out stage. My next game away PSG changed it all. A massive bump back to earth where I was beaten 7-1! Despite being level at HT. Got that team talk pretty wrong! Lesson weel and truely learnt!

I went on to beat Moscow at home in the final game but still finished 3rd with 10pts! Really annoying! How many teams fail to qualify with 10pts?

I dropped into the uefa and had a good run, beating Freiburg and Schalke on the way to a QF against Inter, who I beat at home but easily beaten away from home.

That 7-1 is low and fustrated I have ever been playing this game.

i just had a 1st knockout round against real madrid too,in the first leg on barnabéu we drew 2-2,we started winning but some awful defence made us go to 2-1

i was pretty sure about crushing them at home so a 2-1 loss didn't bothered me,but i didn't want to end my unbeaten run,so i threw everything forward and on the 93 min my 19 year old winger stole the ball from a centreback,my ST started running immediatly,my winger passed and he scored

so here we go to the second leg at home,me all confident and all

we drew 0-0,if my random act of changing from standard to overload in the 1st leg never happened we would've lost,i never felt so lucky in my life.

I had a bit of a disaster in Europe this year which still has me annoyed, my group in the champs league was Lyon, Real, and Lecht, so i was quite happy, as the dons in the 9th season thats not the worst draw that could happen. First game is Lyon at home, playing for a draw, but they somehow implode in the first 20 mins and have two players sent off for last man challenges and i score both pens, then score a last minute goal from a corner, fantastic 3-0 win and sets me up nicely, then go away to Lecht, 3-0 again and im looking good, then back to back humpings from Real, which i wasnt too worried about as things stood beaten Lecht at home should put me in a strong position to go through. Lecht at home, go 2 down in the first half, lose the plot with my team and win 4-2, fantastic again, couldnt be any happier, only thing was Lyon somehow scrapped a 1-0 away to Real, which ment we were dead even going into the last game, Lyon away for me, all i had to do was avoid a 3-0 loss and i was through, set my more solid team out, and stand firm for 60 minutes, and i mean firm, they barely had a shot on goal and my two ball winning centre mids were having the games of their lives, then i lose a cheap goal from a corner, not too worry tho, only 20 mins or so left from that point. My team then collapses, bang, bang, bang im 4-0 down in a 15 minute spell. So i decide to have a go, if i nick that 1 goal i have a better head to head on away goals.......game ends up 6-0 Lyon. I went to bed after that.

My most gutting anyway was a League Cup Semi Final second leg, having demolished fellow Premier League side Wigan 5-0 in the first leg, sent a fairly strong side with maybe 3 or 4 very young players out to finalise the result in the second home leg. After being 4-0 down at half time, brought on a few regulars but conceded again to go 5-0 down and 5-5 on aggregate, Pajtim Kasami scored a wonderful goal to surely secure our progress before a latish goal swung the tie back in Wigan's favour. Then I won a penalty very late which John Arne Riise smacked off the bar and they scored within 3 touches to kill the game and make it 7-5 on aggregate.

And that's why I no longer play weakened teams despite the first leg score...

Archived