Just seen Ronaldo go to Chelsea in the 2nd season for £28 Million....

That's really bad. Im sure that in reality RM will never sell CR for that value in the next few years.

Well, I think that he will not be sold for any value in the next 3/4 years.

He's very important for the club right now, no matter what manager they have he's the best player in the club, there's not even a small chance for that to happen in RL.

That's one more issue regarding the transfers in FM. Not very realistic in my opinion.

do you have the spanish leagues activated in your save? if you didnt its easier to get players from there because the asking price is far lower.

or he could have been injured last season for a long time that real decided to sell him?

I've got England, Spain and Italy top leagues loaded.

Played most of their games, didn't seem to fall out with the club(I'm certain he wasn't transfer listed), didn't have any injury I could see on his history. Only thing that may have made a difference is that Real Madrid finished 5th in the league, but even then if he wanted to leave they'd have still asked for about 50/60 million for him...

That said I've also noticed other big players available on the relatively cheap. Ibrahimovic, Mascherano, Di Maria all were transfer listed, available for 22, 17 and 15 million respectively...signed Mascherano for Man City..

I'm playing with Manchester United and I bought him for 32,5 million pounds (IIRC) in the February of the first season. He and Kaka fell out with Mourinho. Kaka because he wasn't playing enough and he had Indispensable To The Club status and Ronaldo because Mourinho didn't play him in his natural position. They both asked for transfer and Mourinho accepted it. I found out about that late in the January, so I didn't have enough time to buy him immediately, but I managed to buy him in February and he joined me at the end of the season.

I would like to raise an often mentioned point with regards to people saying it is unrealistic that Ronaldo would leave Real Madrid for that fee.

You must distinguish between unrealistic and unlikely.

If we assume that there are a few million games of FM going on, and Ronaldo has moved on in the 2 mentioned here, plus presumably plenty more nor mentioned here, but still not very many, then he has moved in say, making up numbers for example's sake 2000 in 2 million games.

Would you say there is less than a 0.1% chance that something could happen to make Ronaldo leave Real Madrid? Especially if Mourinho leaves and the team are in decline (finishing 5th?) I dont think so, who would have thought Tevez would leave city? Even though he will go for a lot of money, its probs still 20 million or so less than if he was happy at man city.

Therefore, the fact something unlikely happens in your game, but barely anybody elses, doesnt make it unrealistic.

I know I am far from the 1st person to raise this point of view, and probably havent done it very well, but the main point is there is nothing wrong with what happened in your game, as far as I'm concerned

I would like to raise an often mentioned point with regards to people saying it is unrealistic that Ronaldo would leave Real Madrid for that fee.

You must distinguish between unrealistic and unlikely.

It's both unrealistic and unlikely for Ronaldo to leave. Ronaldo brings Real Madrid huge amounts of commercial revenue as well as being an outstanding player who gives them footballing results. It makes no financial sense to jettison him for such a price. Ronaldo signed a six-year contract with Real Madrid in 2009 - they would at least give him a year since his financial value isn't going to fall that much in the 4th year of his contract.

Arguably, any scenario is realistic. It is impossible to disprove that the 2013 Balon d'Or winner won't be Paul McShane, since there is a tiny possibility that it will happen. So "unrealistic" is possibly the wrong word - there is little that is unrealistic unless it violates the laws of science. Therefore it is "realistic" for McShane to win the 2013 Balon d'Or, but of course very unlikely.

The phrase "unrealistic" used on these forums usually means "it is unlikely to happen in reality, but happens in-game". It's unlikely to see the default corner tactic score so many goals in reality - we use "unrealistic" to describe this happening in-game. After all, the game "answers" to reality - if something is unlikely in reality, it should be unlikely in-game; and if something occurs in-game, it should be able to occur in reality.

I simply don't think it makes financial sense to write off three years of Ronaldo's astonishing contract for a pittance, especially if he hasn't handed in a transfer request.

So what you are doing is saying "the word 'unrealistic' doesn't mean that, but by this other definition of 'unrealistic', this isn't true". Which is fine, but is just arguing semantics and misses the point.

If we assume that there are a few million games of FM going on, and Ronaldo has moved on in the 2 mentioned here, plus presumably plenty more nor mentioned here, but still not very many, then he has moved in say, making up numbers for example's sake 2000 in 2 million games.

47% of all statistics are made up. You have a small sample size, so you cannot extrapolate that easily. Besides, Ronaldo is almost surely not the only player involved in unusual transfers.

Whit?

It quite clearly says I was making up the numbers, it would be impossible to know.

My main point is, Ronaldo leaving Real Madrid for 28 million, rather than fifty million, is unlikely, but not impossible. Therefore it happens in some of the games, but not others, reflecting this. Yes other players move too, but other players move in real life as well, not all for hugely inflated fees.

The phrase "unrealistic" used on these forums usually means "it is unlikely to happen in reality, but happens in-game". It's unlikely to see the default corner tactic score so many goals in reality - we use "unrealistic" to describe this happening in-game. After all, the game "answers" to reality - if something is unlikely in reality, it should be unlikely in-game; and if something occurs in-game, it should be able to occur in reality.

By that logic, if we were playing Football Manager 1984 and we saw Maradona sign for Napoli in the second season, after they finished one point above the relegation zone in the first season, you would call it "unrealistic"... Seeing something unlikely happen once in a while is perfectly realistic, it would only be unrealistic if it happened often (or not all, for that matters), which you haven't shown.

Whit?

It quite clearly says I was making up the numbers, it would be impossible to know.

My main point is, Ronaldo leaving Real Madrid for 28 million, rather than fifty million, is unlikely, but not impossible. Therefore it happens in some of the games, but not others, reflecting this. Yes other players move too, but other players move in real life as well, not all for hugely inflated fees.

Given the fact that Ronaldo signed a 6-year contract in 2009, he would have 3 years remaining at the end of the second season in FM12. Given Torres, an inferior player, transferred for £50m (and Torres signed a new contract with Liverpool the year before...), there is absolutely no reason why Ronaldo should move for ~£30m.

And it is wrong to argue that "because it is unlikely, the fact that it occurs once isn't a problem". Some things are so underwhelmingly unlikely that it is statistically significant to witness a single event occurring.

By that logic, if we were playing Football Manager 1984 and we saw Maradona sign for Napoli in the second season, after they finished one point above the relegation zone in the first season, you would call it "unrealistic"... Seeing something unlikely happen once in a while is perfectly realistic, it would only be unrealistic if it happened often (or not all, for that matters), which you haven't shown.

Football back then was very different to what it is now. Maradona broke transfer records by joining Napoli... And it is safe to say Ronaldo hasn't broken many records in the OP's situation.

There's nothing wrong with unlikely events happening every once in a while... However, the situation makes no sense, just comparing to the Torres transfer alone. Ronaldo, not unhappy, moving with 3 years remaining on his contract for £28m? No selling club will allow this kind of transfer, as it makes no financial sense whatsoever.

So is the conlcusion that yes it is highly unlikely Ronaldo will leave, BUT not impossible, not completely ruled out? So unless this is happening in every single save, or in 50% of saves, there is no issue? Or do people want it hardcoded that Ronaldo cannot leave Real so it fits in with their realism view?

Why just compare it to the Torres transfer? Why not compare it to the relatively cheap Suarez, or Cabaye, or any other good player that has moved on for a suprisingly low fee.

You are undoing your own previous arguement by just making one comparison, as players move everywhere all the time. There is nothing wrong with a player moving for a still very high transfer fee in a fairly small percentage of peoples games. As the OP said there were other factors, like the new manager and a poor league position, which may have unsettled him. It is a well known fact that in the game you yourself can unsettle a player to eventually get a lower fee, so no reason to believe that other factors couldnt do it for you.

Although there is no evidence for it here Im even content to tell myself that Ancellotti wanted rid of Ronaldo, as he is such a volatile character.

Im sorry x42bn6 but you are not going to sway me with your convoluted high-horse gargabespeak

Why just compare it to the Torres transfer? Why not compare it to the relatively cheap Suarez, or Cabaye, or any other good player that has moved on for a suprisingly low fee.

Ajax cannot command a transfer fee as large as Real Madrid, as they have little bargaining power. Real Madrid are one of the richest clubs in the world.

Cabaye is miles off Ronaldo's ability and is not worth comparing. Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world!

You are undoing your own previous arguement by just making one comparison, as players move everywhere all the time.

Alright, here's more comparisons. Ibrahimović to Barcelona: €46m + Eto'o. Kaká to Real Madrid: ~£50m. Shevchenko to Chelsea: £30m.

Why would Ronaldo move for less?

There is nothing wrong with a player moving for a still very high transfer fee in a fairly small percentage of peoples games.

It depends on what that percentage is and whether a single occurrence is actually statistically significant. In some cases, it can be.

As the OP said there were other factors, like the new manager and a poor league position, which may have unsettled him.

The OP has been monitoring the player and would have known if the player had become unsettled. He hadn't seen it.

So we have a content Ronaldo, one of the best players in the world, in his prime, moving for less than Shevchenko to Chelsea...

It is a well known fact that in the game you yourself can unsettle a player to eventually get a lower fee, so no reason to believe that other factors couldnt do it for you.

Where's the evidence the player was unsettled?

Although there is no evidence for it here Im even content to tell myself that Ancellotti wanted rid of Ronaldo, as he is such a volatile character.

That's cool.

Either way, Ronaldo is a very professional player - he is devoted to improving himself and winning games. His attitude is perfectly fine, except for the fact he can be occasionally petulant. But his desire is miles better than most players - which is why he is one of the best players in the world.

Im sorry x42bn6 but you are not going to sway me with your convoluted high-horse gargabespeak

You aren't going to sway me with "just because it's possible, it means we shouldn't be concerned if it happens".

It boils down to significance testing and even a single occurrence can be statistically significant depending on the circumstances. So in a lot of ways, yes, we should be worried if something unlikely happened.

If I won the lottery every single week, there would be definite suspicions I'd rigged something, or there was something wrong - as it is so unlikely.

So would you prefer they hardcoded Ronaldo to never leave Real? Would that be more realistic, because again, unless he is moving in every save or at the very least a big proportion of them i dont see why him leaving should be seen as a bug or problem with the programming. No one thought for one second Man City would be willing to loan out their arguably best player for the last 2 years, yet because of circumstances thats exactly what is probably going to happen. Would you have cried wolf if that happened in game and had not happened in real life? Things can change in an instant in football, why are they not allowed too in FM?

So would you prefer they hardcoded Ronaldo to never leave Real?

Where did I say that?

I think any world class player - Ronaldo included - if he isn't unhappy, in his prime and has 3 years remaining on his contract, he should still move for a huge transfer fee. £28m isn't "huge". Not for one of the best players in the world.

i dont see why him leaving should be seen as a bug or problem with the programming.

Where did I say it's a problem if Ronaldo leaves? I think it's a problem if he leaves for £28m.

No one thought for one second Man City would be willing to loan out their arguably best player for the last 2 years,

I'm not surprised, and I don't think a lot of people are. Nobody can afford Adebayor's wages and he is not going to play a part in City's season. Real Madrid stuck on an option to permanently sign Adebayor to sweeten the deal, and Spurs are paying some of his wages while he's on loan.

yet because of circumstances thats exactly what is probably going to happen. Would you have cried wolf if that happened in game and had not happened in real life? Things can change in an instant in football, why are they not allowed too in FM?

Of course they are allowed to change. But Ronaldo, one of the best players in the world, will not move for £28m next year, even if Real Madrid finish 5th and Mourinho leaves.

Ronaldo probably makes Real Madrid £28m worth of commercial and footballing revenue alone in a single season. It would make sense to keep him - why else did they give him a 6-year contract with enormous wages?!

I was talking about Tevez not Adebyor sorry i should have made that clearer.

Why did Barca give Ibra the biggest contract in their history, along with arguably the wolrds biggest ever transfer fee, (when you take the money plus Eto into the equation) and then let him leave on loan after 1 season, then sell him for a fraction of what they paid? Because things change very quickly in football. Same goes for Tevez, or even Adebayor, there is no way when these players signed anyone could see them being allowed to leave on loan less than 2 years after their arrival. You cannot say for 100% certain Ronaldo will not leave Real next year, you can say its very very unlikely, but its not impossible, so why shouldnt he be allowed to leave in game for that price? If the new manager who comes in does not want him then it stands to reason Real are happy enough to lose him, much like City are right now with Tevez, they wont let him go for nothing, but they wont ask for half as much as they would have 2 years ago when he was happy and the club were happy to have him. Now we can look back and say ok i can see why it has happened, but anyone who tells me they saw City actively trying to sell him two years ago is lying.

Why did Barca give Ibra the biggest contract in their history, along with arguably the wolrds biggest ever transfer fee, (when you take the money plus Eto into the equation) and then let him leave on loan after 1 season, then sell him for a fraction of what they paid? Because things change very quickly in football. Same goes for Tevez, or even Adebayor, there is no way when these players signed anyone could see them being allowed to leave on loan less than 2 years after their arrival. You cannot say for 100% certain Ronaldo will not leave Real next year, you can say its very very unlikely, but its not impossible, so why shouldnt he be allowed to leave in game for that price? If the new manager who comes in does not want him then it stands to reason Real are happy enough to lose him, much like City are right now with Tevez, they wont let him go for nothing, but they wont ask for half as much as they would have 2 years ago when he was happy and the club were happy to have him. Now we can look back and say ok i can see why it has happened, but anyone who tells me they saw City actively trying to sell him two years ago is lying.

But those players where UNHAPPY. Ibra didn't fit in the Barcelona system and didn't get along well with Guardiola and Tevez fell out with Mancini and made it worse when he went on vacation without the club knowing about it. Ronaldo in this case is NOT unsettled, so he doesn't want to leave therefore Real Madrid should be in no hurry to get rid of him, so under these circumstances he shouldn't be sold for such a low price.

Ronaldo is not unhappy at his club - the OP has been watching the player in case he does become unhappy. The only circumstance that has changed is Real Madrid's league position - but it's still not enough to upset nor unsettle Ronaldo.

I can think of plenty of reasons why it's wrong for one of the best players in the world, in his prime, not upset nor unsettled, with 3 years on his contract, to leave for £28m.

It's not impossible. However, there must still be a set of circumstances to allow this to happen. I don't see how the OP's post suggests such a set exists in his game.

After all, you could apply your same reasoning if Ronaldo was sold for free. "It is possible that Ronaldo would become extremely unhappy that Real Madrid will get rid of him for free." However, if Ronaldo were to be sold for free without any good explanation, I think the game has a bug and I'm not going to hide behind the lame excuse that is "it's not impossible, therefore it's not a problem if it occurs". I call this a word beginning with "bull".

Mourinho left the club after the first season, then Ancelotti was hired and Ronaldo sold. I think it is down to Mourinho leaving.
Ancelotti taking over would have them playing a 4-3-1-2, in which Ronaldo would not fit in in his natural wide position. It's still silly, but this is probably why. When I see players leaving well below their value and to lower rep clubs, this is usually the reason why.

without any good explanation, I think the game has a bug

I think our real life world has a bug. I don't think it's possible for Man Utd to be out of the last 16 in the CL. They were in a rather easy group and it's impossible, especially as a last year finalist, to lose the group stage of CL.

FM!!! please fix this!!!!

If people are going to moan that one example of a transfer is unrealistic, they might aswell get their coaching badges! It is a game at the end of the day and not everything will be realistic. If there was a 100% accuracy on transfers people would call for EVERY aspect of the game to be perfect.

Its not realistic getting a team from the Blue Square Premier to the Prem in 7 years, but people manage to do it. Deal with it...

How were Real Madrid doing in the league? Had they qualified for Champions League? Or knocked out in first round? How was his happiness? How was his contract. How were things going?

I'd find it stranger if Real Madrid were not winning the league, and they were not in the Champs league, and that perhaps they were performing below par, it would be stranger if he never moved under those circumstances.

How were Real Madrid doing in the league? Had they qualified for Champions League? Or knocked out in first round? How was his happiness? How was his contract. How were things going?

I'd find it stranger if Real Madrid were not winning the league, and they were not in the Champs league, and that perhaps they were performing below par, it would be stranger if he never moved under those circumstances.

They'd actually done badly in the league, but I'd been keeping an eye on him as I was interested in signing him, and he seemed perfectly happy there, hadn't asked to leave or anything, his morale was actually quite good. I'm not surprised that he left to be honest, it's the fee that surprised me.

I think our real life world has a bug. I don't think it's possible for Man Utd to be out of the last 16 in the CL. They were in a rather easy group and it's impossible, especially as a last year finalist, to lose the group stage of CL.

FM!!! please fix this!!!!

The OP's post reflects an irrational mistake (selling a player too cheaply) rather than an unusual or unlikely situation.

unrealistic

napoli sold 2-3 top players, including cavani to top premier league teams.

and these teams do not keep track of thier contracts until it is too late.

also chris casper, who played for manchester united, and coaches for manchester united, just leaves for chelsea? what?

here you go.

and liverpoo paying way to much for samba

CE06A90583FF4113C70C1E1B76E746460D9682F8

no way a team with ambition would sell 3 top players.

Archived