Horrid Board Decision

TGP

So i have taken York City up to the premiere league. I unexpectedly won the championship. The board decided that we needed to expand the stadium because it only holds 9k people. The problem? they cancelled the planed improvement to my horrid training facilities to do it. It took me 5 years to get them to agree to an improvement to the basic facilities and then they cancelled it because they allocated the money to the stadium expansion. im sorry but irl the team would be expecting the massive windfall from promotion and would not cancel the training facilities improvement because we are 1 million pounds in debt after they decided to allocate capital to the stadium expansion. these two things are not mutually exclusive and the board should have either gotten a short term until the TV money comes in to cover stadium expansion or they should simply ride out the next two months in debt.

In my opinion, yes and no. The board have prioritised. A 9,000 seater stadium in the PL? Unrealistic. Revenues from building/improving the stadium are massive and they've gone with that which I think any club would do in real life. More bums on seats is just what any Premier League club is after, right? Just my two cents.

Oh i agree that the stadium needs expansion. My point is that cancelling for lack of funds when TV money will provide more than enough to upgrade both is not a good decision especially when we were half way to completion of the training improvement. The board cancelled because all it can see right now is that we have no money but it doesnt recognize the soon to be realized tv money.

Can the game recognise 'soon to be realised' money? I.e. if a team has automatically qualified for the group stages of the Champions League, is the TV money and money granted from the competition factored into the budget? I don't think it is. My side's budget following CL revenue was only factored into my new budget/season expectations in late December of the season.

Can the game recognise 'soon to be realised' money? I.e. if a team has automatically qualified for the group stages of the Champions League, is the TV money and money granted from the competition factored into the budget? I don't think it is. My side's budget following CL revenue was only factored into my new budget/season expectations in late December of the season.

In real football it's done all the time. Many big teams use their future incomes to buy players, expand facilities, etc.

I will talk about a case that I know, but I'm sure there are many out there.

Benfica's budget for this season included some more millions € just because they expected to go through the group stage of CL, wich they did (thanks to Man Utd). If they didnt then to cover the loss I'm sure they would have to sell some players. Even if the money wasnt in their bank account they have included it in the budget.

I dont say that it's good practice, I just say that to compete with teams with a lot more income many small teams do that.

So the game should see that as the OP says.

Ok I will add my board experience.

Two back to back promotions and it is just short of my new season in the Npower 2. I'm delighted and board is delighted.. too delighted it turns out. Finances are ~300k € in the red despite being below wage budget. Stadium is never full and we attract a measly ~1200 spectators. Board decides to build new Stadium for ~5 Mill €, by taking a huge loan. The club now has HUGE debt. The club is worth ~700k € (and has ~4mill € loan - how did the bank sanction that loan ?!?!?) and wage budget for new season has been DECREASED - due to bad economy obviously. Does anyone find that decision just a little bit silly?

What the board also failed to notice, is that the 4 best players have rejected new contracts (insane demands), because we simply can't pay what they want.

So new season i'm looking at decreased wage budget, loss of 4 best players and more than insecure economy :p. A good challenge, but the board decision to build a new stadium is plain stupid, and the bank decision to grant a loan of that size to a minor club is unrealistic.

So new season i'm looking at decreased wage budget, loss of 4 best players and more than insecure economy :p. A good challenge, but the board decision to build a new stadium is plain stupid, and the bank decision to grant a loan of that size to a minor club is unrealistic.

Not that unrealisic in my opinion. I think its very realistic. Well, maybe too much realistic.

If you compare with reality it happened in the pass and it caused some of the problems that we are facing in europe right now.

On topic, I agree that in the game the club shouldnt be allowed to take that loan.

I wonder if the game allows for stadium renovation following promotion rather than dogmatically going for a new build each & every time, I'm sure there are number of grounds that can have work done on them to meet league rules (I've still not seen SI confirm that this feature is back but will assume it is).

I've seen a few posts about lower league clubs taking out multi-million pound loans to build a new 5000 capacity ground when promoted to the BSP rather than just extend their existing 2500 capacity stadium or consider ground-sharing which is a lower risk option if expansion is not possible, it's something I will be keeping an eye on when my copy of FM12 arrives.

Premier League rules state a stadium has to have a minimum 15,000 all seated capacity stadium. As far as I'm aware stadia rules are back in FM2012 so rather than denying you promotion, the game forces stadia improvements instead.

This is not a promotion to the PRL.. it's a promotion to NPower League 2!

In reality, you would have probably had a stadium built before reaching the Premiership, but you havent. I would request the facilities be improved again, if not now, then if you stay up!!!

Archived