Losing money on friendlies.

Ok so I'm playing as Darlington started out in BSP and for the first 2 seasons I had no trouble with this I usually arranged 6-8 home friendlies per season to make up some of my losses. Got promoted to L2 and it was still working fine.

However once I got to L1 the problem started... the fee for inviting teams any team suddenly got Alot higher but that part I can understand as my team got more money and better rep and so on but and its a rather big but here comes the problem since then (and I am now in PL) no matter what I do and no matter what the numbers say I cant make a profit on a home friendly meaning I cant play home friendlies anymore as its just not worth it.

An example: (playing with Swedish kronor so roughly translated numbers to pounds)

Today in PL I arrange a home friendly against Man C.

Fee 230k

Board estimate I will make 450k

It get selected for TV so I get another 60k on top of that.

Matchday comes I attract about 13000 people (stadium can hold 25000 so not great but expected) with ticket prices around 45pounds.

Summary: I lose roughly 150k

tried both playing friendly myself or let ass man do it roughly same results.

At first I thought it was because my pitch was in a horrible state as it was back in L1 when the problem started but even with just relaid pitch in perfect condition its the same thing.

Going over the finances screen the problem seem to be I get roughly 250k in gate receipts when I would expect closer to 650k with the amount of people and ticket costs I currently have so what happens to all the money?

I've found that can happen as the match day expenses and the fee you pay to the opposition can really eat away at the gate receipts, and often negate all profit like it has with you. Try organising away friendlies, as it'll be you getting getting the fee then, and you won't have to worry about any other expenses apart from the small cost of travel.

I can agree they are not there to make money tbh but I still think its wrong when the game estimate I will get incomes of 450k and I only make 250k.

this is just 1 example obviously but every home game for 3 years end up losing money when the estimated income is almost double the fee... if they dont think I will make any money why tell me so?

even if they are not there to make money there got to be something wrong if 6-8 friendlies during summer end up costing more then I spend on wages in a whole year that seriously cant be right

Thing is if the game actually used my average ticket price it would more or less add up to what they predict I would be making.. but in the end I make not even half of what I do in a regular game with the same attendance.

I guess friendlies tickets cost less and I have no problem with it if thats the case...

But then the prediction should use those reduced costs not the average ticket price shown on team information as this is clearly completely wrong.

Archived