Way too high transfer fee demands?

Am I the only one who think that the ai demands way too much money for their players?

Of course I realize that star players will be ridiculously expensive but it has gone way too far imo.

On my save with liverpool I'm having trouble with buying decent players despite having a transfer budget of 96million during the start of the 4th season.

An example of this is Robert Lewandowski. He is 25 years old, have played quite a few games during the last seasons, scored some goals but haven't really set the world alight.

As a test, I put in a bid for him of £46million. They responded that they wanted £101million!!

The situation isn't quite as extreme with other players but the prices are still way too high.

fm1w.jpg

His history:

fm2qw.jpg

Am I the only one who think this isn't right? I realize that they don't want to sell but there should be a limit.

That it seem impossible to lower the price by unsettling the player doesn't help either.

I think the biggest problem is smaller clubs often operate with a big club mentality in the transfer market in FM, whereas in real life they simply cannot turn down big offers. I often see low and mid-table clubs in big leagues turning down 25m-35m bids for their star players

I think it's about right, especially for the big clubs. If you take Gareth Bale as an example, who Spurs have said they wouldn't sell for £60m. Barcelona have said the fee is unrealistic, but that's the point: Spurs aren't interested in selling, so if Barca really want to buy him they have to pay the stupidly inflated fee.

Dortmund have just agreed a new deal with Lewandowski, so why should they sell him to you for anything other than crazy money?

Because it's a lot of money and he isn't even good. Spurs don't want to sell Bale because he is really good and I don't find that weird at all.

Arsenal bought Gervinho for £11million this summer despite being one of the most important players for Lille. On FM12, he would probably be £30million minimum.

The mechanic that important players should be ridiculously expensive is right. It has just gone too far imo. I have a transfer budget of £96million on my save and the 4th highest reputation but I can't find a decent striker without spending every penny.

I think it's about right, especially for the big clubs. If you take Gareth Bale as an example, who Spurs have said they wouldn't sell for £60m. Barcelona have said the fee is unrealistic, but that's the point: Spurs aren't interested in selling, so if Barca really want to buy him they have to pay the stupidly inflated fee.

Dortmund have just agreed a new deal with Lewandowski, so why should they sell him to you for anything other than crazy money?

£46m for Lewandowski is crazy money.

Because it's a lot of money and he isn't even good. Spurs don't want to sell Bale because he is really good and I don't find that weird at all.

Arsenal bought Gervinho for £11million this summer despite being one of the most important players for Lille. On FM12, he would probably be £30million minimum.

The mechanic that important players should be ridiculously expensive is right. It has just gone too far imo. I have a transfer budget of £96million on my save and the 4th highest reputation but I can't find a decent striker without spending every penny.

Arsenal got Gervinho for £11m because he had 12 months left on his contract and had refused to sign a new one. Lille didn't want to see him leave for free, and so accepted Arsenal's bid. If he'd had another year, Arsenal would have probably had to pay another £10m.

And you might not consider Lewandowski to be that good, but if he's Dortmund's star man, they aren't going to want to see him go, and by you baulking at the price, they've achieved exactly what they wanted...

And you might not consider Lewandowski to be that good, but if he's Dortmund's star man, they aren't going to want to see him go, and by you baulking at the price, they've achieved exactly what they wanted...

For £46m, Dortmund would be able to easily fund 2-3 players who would improve their squad more than a single Lewandowski.

After all, £46m would make him one of the most expensive transfers of all time!

For £46m, Dortmund would be able to easily fund 2-3 players who would improve their squad more than a single Lewandowski.

After all, £46m would make him one of the most expensive transfers of all time!

You're missing my point: they don't want to sell him! The price quoted is designed to scare potential suitors off, not encourage bids. As a result, what they could do with £46m is irrelevant.

You're missing my point: they don't want to sell him! The price quoted is designed to scare potential suitors off, not encourage bids. As a result, what they could do with £46m is irrelevant.

Why wouldn't they want to sell him for a vastly-inflated price of £46m?

It would be cutting off your nose to spite off your face if "we don't want to sell him because we don't want to sell him".

The team is more important than any single player.

Why does every player need to be sold, I know in game there are several players If I have/ever get hold of I'm never going to sell, why should every player the Ai have be available, but ofcourse I'm not saying every player should not be made unavailable.

But he isn't their star player. Surely they can't value him as high as Götze and Hummels?

Most players have a price irl, even if they happened to be the star player or not.

Aguero didn't cost City £100Billion despite having just signed a new contract, being one of the most sought after players in the world and the star player of Atlético.

Two seasons in, every good player is basically a "star player" and it gets impossible to buy anyone.

I think this was much more balanced and realistic in FM11

Why wouldn't they want to sell him for a vastly-inflated price of £46m?

It would be cutting off your nose to spite off your face if "we don't want to sell him because we don't want to sell him".

The team is more important than any single player.

Why didn't Tottenham sell Modric for £40m? After all, they could have signed two quality midfielders with that, and £40m was a vastly inflated fee, and a profit of £25m. The answer is simple: they didn't have to, and they didn't want to. They considered him to be too important to their team. Why can't the same apply to Lewandowski?

But he isn't their star player. Surely they can't value him as high as Götze and Hummels?

Most players have a price irl, even if they happened to be the star player or not.

Aguero didn't cost City £100Billion despite having just signed a new contract, being one of the most sought after players in the world and the star player of Atlético.

I think this was much more balanced and realistic in FM11.

Simply put its the AI's way of saying sod off.

Why don't they say sod off? because SI bowed to the demands of a minority of users a couple of years ago that insisted that every player should have a price.

I think this was much more balanced and realistic in FM11.

Again though, Aguero wanted to leave and told Atletico he wanted to go the season before. Didn't he sign a new deal just to ensure that Atletico got a decent fee for him, and they weren't negotiated down because his contract was expiring?

Why didn't Tottenham sell Modric for £40m? After all, they could have signed two quality midfielders with that, and £40m was a vastly inflated fee, and a profit of £25m. The answer is simple: they didn't have to, and they didn't want to. They considered him to be too important to their team. Why can't the same apply to Lewandowski?

In today's market, £40m for Modrić isn't inflated. I'd say it's about fair value for him.

After all, the bidders Chelsea had just spanked £50m on Torres - they have money.

Modrić is arguably Spurs's best player, unlike Lewandowski is to Dortmund.

Personally, I think a "stupid" value for Modrić would be in the realms of £60m. At which point I would think Spurs would bite their hands off.

I've got players that the AI bids for in the region of €55m or so.

I refuse them all. If you reject the bid the player might get upset that you didn't allow them talks with a big named club, like Real Madrid, or Barcelona or something.

So you jack up the asking price and the big team runs away.

The AI is only doing what anyone would do. Yes we will sell but you have to offer an inflated price. You turn this down. The player then does not get upset with his manager.

In today's market, £40m for Modrić isn't inflated. I'd say it's about fair value for him.

After all, the bidders Chelsea had just spanked £50m on Torres - they have money.

Modrić is arguably Spurs's best player, unlike Lewandowski is to Dortmund.

Personally, I think a "stupid" value for Modrić would be in the realms of £60m. At which point I would think Spurs would bite their hands off.

Again, you say "best player" like it's a matter of fact. In your opinion, RL isn't Dortmund's best player; however the club can think otherwise...it's simply opinion. If he's their main goal threat, they aren't going to want to see him go, it's as simple as that. From the shots given we can't see his status with the club; He's had a good few years there, so the club would have to weigh up the fans' reaction to him leaving...and sometimes no amount of money can make up for that.

As I said earlier, they've quoted an unrealistic fee to scare clubs off, not to encourage them. And as for Modric, why should Spurs accept any bid at all? They aren't the same side without him, and they know it.

So a few seasons in you have to start to exclusively buy regens from obscure clubs? In my save I'm in need of a striker and CB but I can't find anyone good enough for the first team without spending everything on one player despite having a decent amount of transfer funds and the 4th highest reputation only behind Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man Utd.

Again, you say "best player" like it's a matter of fact. In your opinion, RL isn't Dortmund's best player; however the club can think otherwise...it's simply opinion. If he's their main goal threat, they aren't going to want to see him go, it's as simple as that.

Going by the OP's screenshots, if he is indeed their biggest goal threat, £46m is a ridiculous offer - times 10! :)

From the shots given we can't see his status with the club; He's had a good few years there, so the club would have to weigh up the fans' reaction to him leaving...and sometimes no amount of money can make up for that.

He's had several rather average years... The fans might not be that bothered.

As I said earlier, they've quoted an unrealistic fee to scare clubs off, not to encourage them. And as for Modric, why should Spurs accept any bid at all? They aren't the same side without him, and they know it.

True, they are not the same without Modrić... Which is why £40m isn't good enough for him.

Sure, they would be gutted to lose Modrić, but if they were paid extremely handsomely for it, they would be able to build a much better squad.

The club wants to succeed as a whole... Not keep one player out of spite.

So a few seasons in you have to start to exclusively buy regens from obscure clubs? In my save I'm in need of a striker and CB but I can't find anyone good enough for the first team without spending everything on one player.

It'll be up to you, really. If you want to save a few quid, go and find a couple of rough diamonds and bring them through. Think about which players in your squad might need replacing in the next couple of seasons and look a couple of seasons ahead.

However, if you want to sign distinguished international players, you'll have to cough up and pay top dollar.

You should make the transfer over 48 months. It takes less of a hit out of the transfer budget and you can still go and buy other players.

I've had scouts tell me a player Max Asking Price is 40m and I offer 10m and it gets accepted.

There are great bargains out there too. I bought a player for 700k and he's worth over 20m now.

I understand the argument that they don't want to sell and are trying to scare off a club sniffing around. But personally I hate the feature - if they don't want to sell you should just get a message saying they don't want to sell, it looks ridiculous bidding for a player worth 2m and the club coming back saying they want 28m or something stupid. As per the OP, quoting 100m+ for any player would suggest they are the single best player in the world. Lewandowski is not that, by a long shot. 46m is already stupidly over what he's worth. IRL if a club were to bid for him, they'd probably get him with a bid of 15-20m, perhaps 25m if Dortmund were stubborn and the bidding club persistent. The logic is that if they're asking for 100m and you bid 95m they would reject it - that is absolutely mental, utterly indefensible. Ronaldo went for 80m, Torres for 50m - any club, receiving any offer north of 50m, should be at least entertaining the idea, IMO.

True, they are not the same without Modrić... Which is why £40m isn't good enough for him.

Sure, they would be gutted to lose Modrić, but if they were paid extremely handsomely for it, they would be able to build a much better squad.

The club wants to succeed as a whole... Not keep one player out of spite.

In Spurs' case, they'd be selling their key man to one of their biggest rivals, not only weakening them but strengthening Chelsea. Double-whammy, as they say, and on deadline day (or right next to it) for that matter. No time to adequately scout a direct replacement, and the window shuts. It could be £100m, but if the window's shut you can't spend it; meanwhile, Modric settles in at Chelsea and they race ahead of Tottenham in the hunt for the CL places.

Of course, then you try and strengthen in January, but you can't sign anybody as nobody wants to sell, and hence that £100m remains unspent until the following season. If you've finished 8th, you can't spend it either as nobody will sign for you as you aren't in Europe!

It's a vicious circle: just because it's silly money it doesn't make the sale an inevitable decision. Do you seriously think Barca would sell Messi for £150m on transfer deadline day? Of course not. They'd decide they wanted to sell in him in 18 months time, let their scouts find a replacement and then make the deal when they could. Only then would they allow Messi to leave.

I understand the argument that they don't want to sell and are trying to scare off a club sniffing around. But personally I hate the feature - if they don't want to sell you should just get a message saying they don't want to sell, it looks ridiculous bidding for a player worth 2m and the club coming back saying they want 28m or something stupid. As per the OP, quoting 100m+ for any player would suggest they are the single best player in the world. Lewandowski is not that, by a long shot. 46m is already stupidly over what he's worth. IRL if a club were to bid for him, they'd probably get him with a bid of 15-20m, perhaps 25m if Dortmund were stubborn and the bidding club persistent. The logic is that if they're asking for 100m and you bid 95m they would reject it - that is absolutely mental, utterly indefensible. Ronaldo went for 80m, Torres for 50m - any club, receiving any offer north of 50m, should be at least entertaining the idea, IMO.

Again though, just rejecting any offer risks upsetting the player for the selling club. If they quote silly money and the buying club pulls out, the potential selling club retain their relationship with the player. As somebody who normally plays in the lower reaches of FM, it's a tactic I use time and time again in order to keep my players. I always allow my better players a minimum fee, and I won't let them leave for anything less: either pay the buy-out clause, or sod off!

transfer buy out clauses?

there is such things as not strengthening your rivels but, 9/10 good players are not available.

as united i tried, modric, bale, fellaini, gotze, hulk, wickham (even after sunderland were relegated) ronaldo, half of barcalona.

incedently, real madrid OFFERED ME kaka and liverpool would accept 33 million for gerrard :D

what confuses me more, is that teams are smashing thier own transfer records. where did spurs get 36 million to buy cavani without selling anyone?

all the top players don't go for under 100m or so in my game when i'm trying to buy them. gotze, ganso, etc... even kroos was going to cost me 80m + extras for appearances...

but somehow man u signed bale for 30m... and nobody wants to buy my players at all... lol sigh

In Spurs' case, they'd be selling their key man to one of their biggest rivals, not only weakening them but strengthening Chelsea. Double-whammy, as they say, and on deadline day (or right next to it) for that matter. No time to adequately scout a direct replacement, and the window shuts. It could be £100m, but if the window's shut you can't spend it; meanwhile, Modric settles in at Chelsea and they race ahead of Tottenham in the hunt for the CL places.

What's all this about deadline day? Of course his price isn't going to remain flat as deadline day approaches... Modrić's price will increase as the transfer window shuts - but there's still a price. I would expect it to exponentially grow.

For £100m, Spurs can reinvest in their entire infrastructure and stadium, with a view to the long-term, for example.

Not that it matters... The OP is talking about a player who is miles worse than Modrić, and has not mentioned anything about deadline day. £46m for a player who has been rather average for 3 seasons and isn't a key player is a ridiculously good piece of business - they lose an average player for stupid money.

After having played some FM11, I think last years game was a lot better in this regard. Good players are possible to buy but for transfer fees that would be really high IRL.

While it may make the game somewhat easier, I still prefer it massively to how it is now. I can't find a really good CB at all on my save without spending £70million and I have even resorted to Genie scout to try and find one. Makes it much harder for me to enjoy the game.

Another point is Dortmund don't have a sound financial footing irl and would not be able to say no to a £46M offer for any single player, whereas Tottenham for example can afford to say no to £40M for Modric and/or Bale.

Another point in this discussions is AI teams don't seem too bothered about the prospect of losing players on a free, as they don't seem to drop their asking prices on players in the last 12 months of contract.

Archived