Understanding scout assessments

Now I have played for years, and while I like my scout reports, I rarely trust them completely. But today I got a report on a youngster (15 years old), that made me wonder how to exactly read what the scout is telling me.

FM12_Scoutreport.PNG

Ok, so initially I am think, not worth it, as he is rated at ½ star.

But then he is being compared against my best senior defender, and my 100k value youth signing. So I have to figure that in.

He does say that he thinks he would be a decent signing for most BSP sides. Now it that looking at his potential, or his current ability?? ... and since I play in the BSP, why does he not think he is worthwhile for my club?

Edit: Also I would have preferred that he was compared to my actual youth squad, not my seniors, but that is kinda off-topic ;)

I'd take a look at my current Central Defenders who are 18, then compare the Ability and Potential.

I'd also compare his stats to other youth players in the squad playing a similar position.

For the record I think the scout rates him very poorly. But what is the Scouts ability in judging player potential? This might be where the confusion is.

I'd take a look at my current Central Defenders who are 18, then compare the Ability and Potential.

I'd also compare his stats to other youth players in the squad playing a similar position.

For the record I think the scout rates him very poorly. But what is the Scouts ability in judging player potential? This might be where the confusion is.

Scout's got 6/6 in JA and JP, so he might not know much about what he is doing :)

While looking closer at mr. McLaughlin, I have decided not to spend more time on him. But I was a bit confused about what the scout meant by his 'Would be a decent signing for most BSP sides"

Also, can I assume that the ½ grey star, means that compared to my youth defenders he is also pretty bad?

Archived