Playing without installing ~ technical question

Hi, I just bought Football Manager 2012 and right now am installing through steam.

I am now downloading from university internet and thus, enjoying a moderate internet speed.

The problem is my harddisk is failling and for the next two days, I am travelling back to Indonesia, and I will replace my harddisk and thus, have to reinstall everything.

Second problem is internet speed in Indonesia cannot afford to download a 2.1 Gb game and hence, I need to wait for 1 month to go back to Singapore to play the game.

My plan is to download the full game now and then try to copy the data from my old harddisk to flashdisk, and then copy FM from flash disk to new harddisk in Indonesia.

Will it work? Or should I try something else?

If you install steam itself again it should recognide the games installed and allow you to use them.

A good example is when I installed windows 7 on a new SSD with steam games on another SSD. All I did when I had finished installing windows 7 was to install steam from the new OS and it made all my games usable without having to redownload them, thus saving me over 40GB of downloading!

Yep, I had steam on a seperate hard drive, you could copy the steam folder to an external drive and take that with you, copy it back to the new computer then reinstall steam into the steam folder you copied. That should work for you as its basically the same as I did but for your situation.

Archived