Manager interaction through the press

Something that has bugged me for a while. Not the non-sensical "they'd better if they didn't try to walk the ball into the net" after you've humped the AI 5-1, but more the brashness and basically insults that seem to get thrown out. Does SI feel this is an accurate representation of how managers interact through the press or is it just added as a more novelty feature?

For example, I'm currently a point ahead of second with four games to go, and am about to play them. So their manager comes out with "Our next match is being hyped up as a big promotion battle but there's only one team with a chance of going up, and it's not (my team) as far as I'm concerned."

When have you ever seen a manager come out with something like that in the press, especially when I'm a point ahead of them?

When was the last time a manager blatantly came out and slagged his opposite number, saying he is out of his depth or his team has no chance at promotion or survival etc?

I'm sure there have been obscure examples of this but for the most part, managers use subtle comments to try and be clever in the media. You don't see Owen Coyle come out and go "I feel Roberto Martinez is entirely out of his depth as Wigan manager" before they play each other in a big relegation match in real life.

You're right to draw attention to this issue. There's a word for what managers say through the press in this game: crap. (Okay, so there are other variants on that word.)

I recently had an opposition manager say I was "dreaming if he thinks they're going to win the match". It doesn't exactly spoil the game, but what kind of manager talks like that?

Your example of managers saying other managers are out of their depth is another one. There's actually a solidarity amongst managers, even amongst those that don't get along. They don't talk down each other's capabilities because the one thing they all have in common is the boat they're in.

As you say, there's a total lack of subtlety in this respect in the game. If SI could find a way to make it more subtle, more varied and a bit more sensible, it would be a lot more realisitic.

Archived