Criticising the ref

Yeah, but what I mean is, is there any reason why the manager would criticise the ref in the media? What is there to be gained? Or can you only lose from it and at best nothing happen.

In real life it might be said that it makes ref's slightly more wary of making decisions against your team, but I'm wondering if that happens at all in the game?

If you crit the ref and it wasn't justified you get chastised. If you crit the ref and you had cause for a complaint, you won't be.

Not sure how the ref reacts in the next game or anything?

But definitely your players appreciate it when you speak up against bad decisions.

Yeh only when you're justified. Pay attention to the news article. If the ass man didn't see it don't say anything against the ref.

Only when the Ass Man says the ref was not justified.

The news item is key. If you crit the ref without cause, then the players may react badly!

In real life it might be said that it makes ref's slightly more wary of making decisions against your team, but I'm wondering if that happens at all in the game?
That's actually a very good feature idea, would add to the meagre mind-games that currently exist in FM.

Well it would weigh on the ref in the real world. A wrong call might suggest he'd be more lenient in the next game to make "amends" or if he sent off someone or something.

Refs have personalities, and should be reflected in the game.

Even with the ref report, I still find that, quite often, the only way you find out if a decision was right or not is after you've had a go at the ref. The press conference and media report will make a decision sound controversial, you'll criticise the ref, and then get in trouble because "replays showed the referee made the right decision". But if replays showed that, they'd have showed it during the match and certainly after it, so there would be no controversy. Controversy only really arises when the ref gets it wrong or when there's enough room in what happened for a debate to happen. It's stupid to suggest there's controversy and then stitch us up by telling us the ref was proven right by replays all along.

If you're that bothered, you can always check the Match Report. If it's a dubious decision, it usually says it right there.

And referees can be fired in the game (or at least I've seen it happen in the past), but only for persistent uselessness.

Archived