It's Sacking Day again... (AI managers)

And here we go again...

Just like last year, November and December are rather torrid months for AI managers, with plenty of casualties and of utterly baffling appointments.

In the short span of two months, and with the new season being still very young, the following top-level sackings happened:

* Villas Boas sacked, replaced by Tony Pulls [despite Wenger being available, having resigned from Arsenal in July]

* Villas Boas gets the Stoke job

* Owen Coyle sacked, replaced by Nigel Atkins

* still waiting to see who'll replace Atkins at Southampton...

* Luis Enrique sacked, replaced by Vincenzo Montella (who had been sacked by Catania the previous season)

* Walter Mazzarri sacked [despite 3rd place and CL 1st knockout round] replaced by Antonio Conte [sacked by Juventus the previous spring]

* Davide Ballardini sacked by Catania, replaced by Mazzarri.

The thing is... I can understand managers getting sacked early in the season following a dreadful start [or out of sheer lunacy, Jesus Gil style], but there seem to be a clear pattern of managers getting sacked around November for reasons I can't quite grasp...

Even while some of those managers didn't really shine [Chelsea and Napoli lost the CL-playoff] I still maintain it's a bit too harsh sacking a manager at a Top or almost-top Club in late fall/early winter... Just don't offer him a renewal and eventually have him leave at the end of the season while signing a replacement in advance.

Also, how often do we really see managers leaving Club A in the middle of the season to join Club B??? This has to change, should have been fixed already but alas... it's usual FM policy for you :(

Another thing from your small sample is that the managerial merry-go round appears to be more like swap-shop with a sacked manager eventually going to the club that his replacement left to take his job.

As for sackings in Nov/Dec this is generally the time when chairmen finally give up on their manager & look to replace so having more sackings at this time of year isn't too concerning so long as the numbers are not ridiculous & there is no tendency for it to happen at the same time.

Finally have you noticed any instances of a whole job lot of managers all getting the boot on the same day? This is particularly annoy in FM11, on one single day I've seen 10+ English clubs sack their manager.

And here's an interesting twist in Walter Mazzarri's end of 2012 :D

November 3rd 2012: sacked by Napoli

December 30th 2012: named Manager of the Year

Isn't it great?!

Well thats absolutely brilliant :D

I find some of the retired pros appointed as managers more baffling. Playing a game right now where Papa Boupa Diop is West Ham manager with his first job in the game. He's not a West Ham legend nor a superstar so it seems impossible that he would get such a high profile job. Seems to be holding on there too despite having a win percentage of 30%.

I find some of the retired pros appointed as managers more baffling. Playing a game right now where Papa Boupa Diop is West Ham manager with his first job in the game. He's not a West Ham legend nor a superstar so it seems impossible that he would get such a high profile job. Seems to be holding on there too despite having a win percentage of 30%.

Remember Manucho? The Angolian who joined Man Utd. In Fm11 his first managerial job was none other than Barcelona. He won the league and lost to me in the CL Final in his first season..despite having awful stats.

Archived