Manager's starting experience?

As a general rule if I want to start as a Premiership manager (& I don't often) I put myself as an International footballer.

Championship & Div 1: Pro footballer.

Below this level: Semi-pro or Automatic.

I use similar 'start' experiences for equivilent foreign leagues.

Can I ask what other players use & some reasoning behind their choices?

I choose Automatic. Currently it's too easy starting as a top team. It's no fun whatsoever.

I work my way up from the bottom league of whatever team will take me. I then build up team to the best in that country. Then I leave for a top team. AFTER the top players have all moved on/retired and the league is a bit less predictable.

But I do enjoy the top team football after about 5 or 6 seasons building up a crap team.

So you choose 'automatic' whatever class of league you start with?

You never select a particular experience? Can you tell me why?

BTW, most of my starts are at 3rd. or 4th. level of football, sometimes below.

I am also confused about 'automatic'. I thought if you choose this as your background it meant that your experience under this catagory would 'automatically' be suitable to take the job you opted for.

Maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, I am interested about players who choose a particular level, for which type of teams & why.

It's very unclear. Under the FM12 manual it's listed as

Past Playing Experience

Select your level of experience.

By default, the ‘Automatic’ choice is selected, meaning you are entering the football world with no prior experience.

However, for whatever purposes you like, you can select that you have been a Professional or an International Footballer. This will increase your starting reputation and potentially allow you more leeway with the Board than an inexperienced manager in the short term, but long-term your reputation and standing in the game may come under pressure sooner than someone of lesser stature.

Perhaps it should give you the choice of entering as a

Coach - Sunday Footballer | Amateur | Professional | International

Scout - Sunday Footballer | Amateur | Professional | International

Past Player - Sunday Footballer | Amateur | Professional | International

as your past experience?

That way - if you were a former coach, depending on your experience, you'd have more experience in setting up the coaching, so that the Training is semi-set up for you as that is your experience.

And if you were a former scout - you'd have a wider knowledge pool.

Past player - well that would encompass both the coach and scout experience - plus give you the benefit of gelling the team together, as you were once as they are and you know what team work involves.

Archived