Do you have the bad habit of signing too many youngsters in the 1st/2nd season?

Reaching my 4th season now and I have a squad overloaded with stars as well as talented youngsters. Back in FM2011 I made the same mistake, signing a bunch of talented U19, and having too many stars in first team that I face a major squad registration headache.

It's just too difficult to resist signing them when my scouts come back with 3 1/2 stars youngsters. :(

Guilty as charged... ;)

Although I've become more and more selective over the years it's still hard not to sign a couple of potentially decent player who'll never turn out half as good as I thought merely because they get lost in the shuffle in my bloated U19 squad...

I do, but don't see it as a problem. You can always sell them on and get a 50% of next sale clause. That way if they turn great you can re-sign them at half price, or let them be sold on and get half of the transfer fee. It's how I make my money.

I've got a bad habit of buying youngsters, got half the Denmark u19's team for Southampton in my onliner, it's just too tempting not to bid for the ones my scout recommends that are 4 star + potential, at least if they don't make it i'll make some profit in the future (hopefully)

yes although i am restricted from my club budgets at the moment. good thing is that although my facilities are rubbish (youth anyway) i have managed to upgrade the junior coaching to excellent and i have seen good rewards (sold one player for 500K, considering that i am just above zero on finances that was good). on my latest youth intake i had a DC which should play 1st team this year (backup at least) and couple of other players which i had top division teams sniffing around (i even accepted another 0.5M offer for another kid but he rejected the contract)

in FM11 i used to sign ANY player with 4 stars and above on my team. i used to have huge squads but i kept selling players when they reached 21 and not breached 1st team so i had a nice revenue (made my club the 3rd richest in the world)

yes,i have like 5 right backs,including one who is 4.5 stars potential (my club is top btw),but i dont mind,i love developing players i have 3 players with 1.5* stars ca and 3.5* pa+ nearing the 20 appearances with about a half as starters,most of them in the league too,i had a 2.5* ca youth start at the CL final against barca even tough my usual starter was fine (tough it was partly because he had some good defensive stats and i needed a good ball-winning mc for the occasion)

I tend to do the same thing but I don't usually get overwhelmed.

My favorite part of FM is youth development and I take pride in the amount of players I have developed who are starting for teams in across the top leagues in europe. The sad thing is that whenever they get to the age where they are ready for first team football, I have no choice but to sell them because the members of my current first team are irreplaceable. They are young and extremely talented.

Development is fun because I am far better at developing players than the AI ever will be. I guess its kind of my way of keeping my save competitive.

I usually have around 30 new players in the first window as Bath in the BSP :) ... there are sooo many good free agents and youngsters out there (compared to what I start with), that it is hard not to sign a whole boat load at a time :)

What are the cons to doing this? except that its silly.

I am fine for wages because I normally get rid of them all apart from 5/6 on loans every year.

I also get frustrated at how often I do this, as I am then able to get loads of money from it.

I think a good way for SI to fix this would be for you to get a reputation for exploiting the transfer system, then when you try to sign a good young player he will come back with something like 'I would like to sign for a club as big as yours, but I have heard that young players signing for you never make it into the first team', or 'there are too many players of my age, I don't want to just be one of 100' and so on.

That way people like me to find the game easy because we sign all the Major european countries u21 squads cheaply do actually suffer somehow!!!

please please do this SI, please!!!!

To counter it, if you do sign young players, but a reasonable amount, then young players will be keen to come to you as you have a good repuation for brining them through, and then once you have signed too many and your reserve team has 65 foreign kids, they stop wanted to come

I am fine for wages because I normally get rid of them all apart from 5/6 on loans every year.

I also get frustrated at how often I do this, as I am then able to get loads of money from it.

I think a good way for SI to fix this would be for you to get a reputation for exploiting the transfer system, then when you try to sign a good young player he will come back with something like 'I would like to sign for a club as big as yours, but I have heard that young players signing for you never make it into the first team', or 'there are too many players of my age, I don't want to just be one of 100' and so on.

That way people like me to find the game easy because we sign all the Major european countries u21 squads cheaply do actually suffer somehow!!!

To counter it, if you do sign young players, but a reasonable amount, then young players will be keen to come to you as you have a good repuation for brining them through, and then once you have signed too many and your reserve team has 65 foreign kids, they stop wanted to come

there's 1 con,there are so many youths at my team that some of them are being starved of game time in the under 19s,to make it worse i set my under 19 to have the same tactic as the senior team so that they grow up knowing it,and that tactic only has 1 ST...

maybe SI should make extra youth teams,U17s,U19s and maybe U21s?

Yeh but i just get rid of them all on loan. Although most of them come back saying the loan was useless......

I love it when you havent been checking on the players out on loan cos you have so many, and then one comes back at the end of the season and hes become amazing whilst away

Yeh but i just get rid of them all on loan. Although most of them come back saying the loan was useless......

I love it when you havent been checking on the players out on loan cos you have so many, and then one comes back at the end of the season and hes become amazing whilst away

i leave my players on my youth team until they turn 18 then i either promote them,or loan them,

there are exceptions of course,i.e the ones with the most potential go directly to the first team,i have a 16 year old playing oftenly in my squad even tough he's made some costy mistakes,i.e every time he's pressured he looks desesperate and ends up playing long balls even tough my passing is set to short

but i dont care,specially since he's developing like hell :p.

youth prospects gotta catch them all :lol:

You can counter the problem very easily, IF you find it a problem: just restrain yourself and sign only the amount of players that you can handle.

Yes, you end up with like 5 18 year old strikers that you know you wont be able to accommodate.

Do what I do, start experimenting with where you can retrain them to, in FM11 my two best fullbacks were originally strikers, nothing like having fullbacks with dribbling of 15+ bringing the ball out of defence :)

Archived