Does anybody ever die in football manager

if you had to play football manager for say 25 seasons, would sir alex fergeson or bobby robson die in the game of old age, does that happen? or is the staff and players in teh game immortal?

I think it would be a nice touch if players randomly died, not often tho, just like a one in a million chance to keep it realistic.

I know it might seem a little tasteless in light of what recently happened with the legendry Phil O'Donnel, but its the little touchs that keep the game interesting to me, what do you think?

if you had to play football manager for say 25 seasons, would sir alex fergeson or bobby robson die in the game of old age, does that happen? or is the staff and players in teh game immortal?

I think it would be a nice touch if players randomly died, not often tho, just like a one in a million chance to keep it realistic.

I know it might seem a little tasteless in light of what recently happened with the legendry Phil O'Donnel, but its the little touchs that keep the game interesting to me, what do you think?

In a word; 'No'.

In a few more words; This has been discussed before and it is seen as too morbid. Plus, it could only happen to regens, as real players might not be too happy about dying. The same goes for having players fail drugs tests, or getting arrested for nightclub brawls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think it would be a nice touch if players randomly died, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you, a funeral director? icon_eek.gif

Well Rancer it is realistic for players and managers to die.

But its a bit to harsh to put it in the game.

1. the player/manager wouldnt be to happy that they died!

2.Its a game with a rating of 3+

3. why depress a good Football Managing game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gauvner:

3. why depress a good Football Managing game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it‘s realistic for managers and players to die. But there are better things to add to the game than allowing players and managers to randomly die. I‘m just a bit annoyed about the suggestions Ive been seeing on the forums lately (like those football chairman threads).

It's a game. Having players die would just be wrong, and thankfully SI have said it will not be included in this or future versions.

Same happens for your player character, you can continue until you're 200 if you want. Completely unrealistic of course, but infinitely better than playing on until you're 62 then as you prepare for a vital CL match getting a popup saying "Game over - You've had a heart attack".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saulty2805:

Anyone know of a thread asking who/what is the oldest you've ever got to .. age wise?

if so, could anyone point it out or does anyone know of a very high age? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People have got to well over 200 before, via holiday games.

I've holidayed to about 150 in previous versions when testing regens / finances in long term games. Like I said in my previous post, of course it's unrealistic. But if it bothers you that your manager is getting too old and you think he should retire, then hit the "Retire" button yourself.

The game shouldn't force you to quit, there's no upper limit IRL. It's not totally unheard of for managers to go on well past 70 IRL, eg Sir Bobby Robson.

There is a horse racing management game out called Starters Orders 2. Horses in that game die.

I know it's not the same game, but it does happen on rare occasions so it should be added to the game, even if only to newgens to avoid potential legal issues.

I always used to be against it, but when I started playing Starters Orders and I first saw it happened, I was gutted at losing a horse, but impressed with the thought put into how it was done and the realism it brought to the game.

For those of us who lean towards the 'AI Conspiracy Theory' this would probably infuriate even more. It's bad enough my star striker gets a 4 month injury just as I start to build a run to the playoffs nevermind having him die in a tragic car accident. I can already see myself screaming "How bleedin' convenient" at the screen icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

Technically, people do die in FM. - Once they retire, they're gone forever.

It doesn't fulfill anyone's weird fantasy of death taking them out of the game... but the result is essentially the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By that logic, deleting a savegame is like the Big Crunch - i.e. the end of the universe!

Anyway, SI have categorically stated that no, players do not and never will die in the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rancer890:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gauvner:

3. why depress a good Football Managing game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it‘s realistic for managers and players to die. But there are better things to add to the game than allowing players and managers to randomly die. I‘m just a bit annoyed about the suggestions Ive been seeing on the forums lately (like those football chairman threads). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we have all been annoyed over the Football Chairman threads

Many moons ago, back in high school, a friend of mine claimed that, on whatever version of Championship Manager was the most recent at the time, he had Teddy Sheringham die.

I haven't believed it to this day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I know it's not the same game, but it does happen on rare occasions so it should be added to the game, even if only to newgens to avoid potential legal issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because it is realistic, it doesn't mean it should be added.

I'd like anyone who suggests characters dying in FM to please explain WHY they wish to see this. Sure would be interesting.

That it would make it more "realistic" doesn't cut it one bit, as no-one would want to see a character representing their girlfriend, wife or mother on the screen, nagging at them telling them to stop playing FM.

So just explain why. What sort of malevolent "rush" would it give you, that you cannot obtain by looking at the obituary list in your local newspaper??

I think retiring is ok, but the players should not disappear from the game when they retire. Their profile should still be there, and maybe they could make som comments etc.

Would be nice is Sir Alex became a chairman for a club etc icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Gaffovski:

I'd like anyone who suggests characters dying in FM to please explain WHY they wish to see this. Sure would be interesting.

That it would make it more "realistic" doesn't cut it one bit, as no-one would want to see a character representing their girlfriend, wife or mother on the screen, nagging at them telling them to stop playing FM.

So just explain why. What sort of malevolent "rush" would it give you, that you cannot obtain by looking at the obituary list in your local newspaper?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whilst I am not in favour of death in the game, the fact it's realistic holds more weight than you give it. Having people live to be 150, or indeed active in the game much over about 80, is totally nonsensical and unrealistic. Accusing people of getting some rush from the idea of including death is a bit harsh!

Still, FM doesn't need death in order to be realistic in this area. Retirement and disappearing from the game would do just fine for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Gaffovski:

So just explain why. What sort of malevolent "rush" would it give you, that you cannot obtain by looking at the obituary list in your local newspaper?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whilst I am not in favour of death in the game, the fact it's realistic holds more weight than you give it. Having people live to be 150, or indeed active in the game much over about 80, is totally nonsensical and unrealistic. Accusing people of getting some rush from the idea of including death is a bit harsh!

Still, FM doesn't need death in order to be realistic in this area. Retirement and disappearing from the game would do just fine for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harsh, or a direct attempt to get some people to examine their motives.

It actually wouldn't be realistic at all. Given situations such as if Player "A" died in the game, whilst player "A" was still alive in real life. That would be decidedly UNrealistic. In fact, the complete opposite of reality.

I'm very glad SI do not have it in their game.

I remember on the first FM on PSP, if you offered for a player who's contract was gonna expire (6months) and then cancelled they could like, never retire and would go on forever

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

Having people live to be 150, or indeed active in the game much over about 80, is totally nonsensical and unrealistic.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If youre so bothered that a 150 year old manager being unrealistic, retire him when you feel it is realistic for a manager to retire.

FM is a game, therefore can never be realistic in ALL (however small i.e. age of manager) aspects of the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LSF07:

In a word; 'No'.

In a few more words; This has been discussed before and it is seen as too morbid. Plus, it could only happen to regens, as real players might not be too happy about dying. The same goes for having players fail drugs tests, or getting arrested for nightclub brawls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, I remember my son bringing some of that up like riots, closed door games, ref threats, games canceled, and all of those dark things which would be cool to add to a managing game, but not FM... please not FM icon_biggrin.gif

I feel like I've been a little misunderstood. Let me reiterate this. I am AGAINST death in Football Manager. I believe it would be unnecessary and in bad taste. Also, I obviously would retire myself before reaching a daft age. I was referring to AI managers/coaches/fans' spokesmen etc etc who reach such ages.

The point I was making is that, as someone who always wants SI to strive for greater and greater realism within a football context we cannot have people reaching stupid ages. Therefore, retirement and disappearing from the game are what I believe would counter it. Again, no need for death!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adamjordan:

how sad is this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, from what I can see, the overwhelming majority are totally against it. So I'd say that it's a triumph for decency.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macca69:

Can this be closed. Its pointless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't mind seeing it closed. To be honest, I've been left a little miffed by the nature of the responses to my points.

well, there are always other games where people die; but here they just retire. and you can no longer click on thier names. period. still, should be funny to see an ex-something star comment on a player in the season 2050 or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by devletli:

well, there are always other games where people die; but here they just retire. and you can no longer click on thier names. period. still, should be funny to see an ex-something star comment on a player in the season 2050 or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the problem, though. They don't always retire. For example, Malcolm Glazer stays at Man. United seemingly indefinitely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by devletli:

well, there are always other games where people die; but here they just retire. and you can no longer click on thier names. period. still, should be funny to see an ex-something star comment on a player in the season 2050 or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the problem, though. They don't always retire. For example, Malcolm Glazer stays at Man. United seemingly indefinitely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oww how much does this suck when you play manutd?

That's the problem, though. They don't always retire. For example, Malcolm Glazer stays at Man. United seemingly indefinitely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oww how much does this suck when you play manutd? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if you don't look at the staff screen, it barely matters. Problem is, I'm obsessive about realism, so a 110-year-old Malcolm Glazer is going to irritate me whether I go to that screen or not.

This is a terrible idea, and in pretty bad taste.

I was in the stadium the day Phil O'Donnell. I think about what I saw then at least once everyday, and still find it quite hard to get my head round. Why would I want reminding of this again when I'm playing my PC for a bit of fun.

Players dying? No I doubt they'd ever add that to the game.

But back in one of the really old versions of FM (champ man) players had a chance to get injuries that ended their careers - I seem to remember one of my players getting in a car accident or something and having to retire at an early age.

There was also an option to take out insurance on your best players so that if something like that happened you'd get a payout.

Archived