Do players ever accept contract terminations?

I have a player who isn't anywhere near good enough for first team football, he is a player that was there at the start of my term as Forest boss. Robbie Findley is his name.

I've tried offering to clubs dozens of times, for free, I've tried offering him to clubs as a loan, with no success again.

He keeps complaining that he isn't getting first team football and I promised to look for a club for him, but if no one is willing to have him for nothing then SURELY the best option for him would be a contract termination?

Apparently not, he gets ridiculously annoyed every time I mention it, "I can't believe you would even ask that" etc.

Do players ever accept contract termination? Because this is pretty much an ideal situation for him to accept a mutual termination, but it seems like the game is intent on being unrealistic in this scenario. I can't really release him because Steve McLaren, genius that he is, gave him a 4 year contract and it would cost over 2 million to just let him go.

It's driving me mental.

As an aside, David Goodwillie is an absolute beast in the championship, he has 14 goals from 9 games so far with an average rating of 8.11.

If nobody wants him, he's probably better off on a contract with you than choosing to be without a club and not being able to find one.

But I've never managed to persuade a player to take a mutual termination.

.....a 4 year contract and it would cost over 2 million to just let him go.

This is probably why he doesn't want to leave. He is on a very healthy contract, and while he wants to play football, he doesn't just want to walk away from that amount of money.

Eugh, that doesn't sound too promising then.

And it's not that clubs don't want him, they just think his wage is too high (which I agree, f**k you Steve McLaren). If he was available on a free he'd get snapped up in no time.

God I hate him (and Steve McLaren).

I'm fairly sure Findley wasn't signed by Steve McClaren, but by Billy Davies.
He didn't give him a 4 year contract with stupidly high wages though.

His current contract started in June 2012, when McLaren was still in charge.

I do get them to agree from time to time. I find it works best if you tell them that they arent getting games and should move on, and then when they turn it down say you really think its for the best. I can quite often get ageing players to agree using this. It is far from every time though.

I once got a guy that would have got 300,000 willing to go for 22k. felt great seeing him out the foor

I once got one to agree. Player without a future wanted regular football. I told him he's not getting any from me and that he should leave for that. He agreed on which I transfer listed him. Ofcourse nobody wanted to buy him and then when the transferseason was over he came complaining about broken promises and stuff on which I proposed mutual termination. Best money I ever spent.

Most of my attempts at mutual termination succeed.

First, your relationship with the player must be positive - he respects your reputation and maybe has you as favoured personnel.

Second, you have to approach him right - I go for cautious or reluctant mood and tell him that I'm terribly sorry that he doesn't fit into my plans. That way he sees the tears in my eyes and feels sorry for me.

Most of my attempts at mutual termination succeed.

First, your relationship with the player must be positive - he respects your reputation and maybe has you as favoured personnel.

Second, you have to approach him right - I go for cautious or reluctant mood and tell him that I'm terribly sorry that he doesn't fit into my plans. That way he sees the tears in my eyes and feels sorry for me.

:D Liking that.

In my first go I signed El-Hadj Diouf for Bolton (nostalgia) and he was an unhappy git. He was more than happy to accept a mutual termination despite me never having a personal chat.

And in my current Aberdeen save I signed Michael Stewart and had a massive argument with him in private chat. I gave him the full Fergie hairdryer treatment and he was more than happy to mutually terminate his contract afterwards. Was very happy to get his stroppy bottom out the door.

I do get them to agree from time to time. I find it works best if you tell them that they arent getting games and should move on, and then when they turn it down say you really think its for the best. I can quite often get ageing players to agree using this. It is far from every time though.

I once got a guy that would have got 300,000 willing to go for 22k. felt great seeing him out the foor

This sounds exactly what I would do in FM11, I've had absolutely no luck in FM12 with this. You talking about FM 11 or 12?

you basically have to royally **** him off. You can try and make him unhappy with his training, insult him, generally be a ******* to him so he hates you, eventually if you mistreat him enough, he might decide to leave.

Edit: or apparently someone says being nice works too. I've tended to find being annoying to them sometimes my only option.

Archived