& the point of the game is???

From the customer's point of view surely the whole point of the FM game is to play it & have fun.

I started a game with Winterthur (Swiss 2nd. Div). Had a 'Semi-pro' background, English, with French as 2nd nationality, & my rep now is 'National'. Have around 14 European leagues playable with English, French, German & Italian leagues down to 2nd level.

I got Winterthur promoted to Swiss 1st. in year one. In the 2nd. year I finished just below mid-table when the board requested I 'avoid relegation.' I was totally disapointed with 'board expectations' for the 3rd. year taking the Transfer Budget & Wageroll into consideration. So I quit, went on holiday whilst applying for jobs with 'any club'.

It is now a year later & no application has been successful. A couple of the top teams laugh at me, a few of the lower teams are 'flattered' by my interest; but still out of work a year later???

Which brings me to my starting statement; '& the point of the game is?'

Right now, the game is preventing me from playing. I am having no fun at all constantly pressing the 'Go on holiday' 'Apply for...' etc. buttons. This can't be right, or it's taking realism too far. I bought the game to manage a football team & the game should give me the opportunity to do this within a reasonable length of time or, in my opinion, the game doesn't work!

If my management background is never going to get me another job offer in this game scenario then I should get a 'You must be joking, you can't get any job with these playable leagues' message before I waste all this time. I am still trying but feel a year out of a job is too much.

Any others had this problem?

Calling it a 'simulation' changes nothing. Everyone stumps up their cash for the 'simulation' to have fun. What is happening in my case is not fun! Therefore this situation is surely defeating the object of the 'simulation's' existence?

Will people stop with this utterly ridiculous simulation 'argument'. FM simulates football matches, that's where the simulation starts and that's also where it ends. It's still a game and every other aspect of it besides the matches has nothing to do with the term 'simulation' since, guess what, life in managment can't be simulated in a computer game. You might as well call COD a simulation of warfare. How ridiculous would that sound?

In real life you wouldn't be a manager. Stop with this nonsense' date=' please.[/quote']

So you are arguing that FM shouldn't conform to realism because of this, and therefore you should get offered the best jobs and win every competition no matter what?

How many jobs have become available in Switzerland? On fm11 I took on a Uruguayan team, no idea why, but I did. Anyway I left the Uruguayan club after winning the league thinking I can get a job in league 2(England) no problem but alas I couldn't get a job anywhere. Apart from one country, yes Uruguay. Seems I was the cream of the crop over there. Every job that became available there was offered to me but not a single job anywhere else.

It seems to me, and rightly so in my opinion, that your reputation is hel ins higher regard in the league you are experienced in rather than across the globe. Which is quite fair really. I mean in real life it is very rare to find managers moving countries they have no experience in unless they are recommended by a club favourite or have a massive reputation.

That may be your problem my friend. Personally it wouldn't ruin my enjoyment but I can see why the tedium of pressing the same buttons repeatedly can be irritating, for want of a better word.

In real life you wouldn't be a manager. Stop with this nonsense' date=' please.[/quote']

In real life anyone can be a manager if they take the time to do the qualifications ;)

Anywhere it would be better if the OP listed the countries loaded and the leagues but I suspect he has fallen between the cracks somewhat with the main countries being of too high rep to be able to get a job.

Presuming he is on FM12 he should be able to expand the leagues/countries to include more around his current manager rep.

In terms of time out I don't have a problem with going on holiday for 12-18 months, more than that I think is too long.

How realistic would it be that you got a super-budget after slightly exceeding your expectations with a small Swiss club in the second season? The club has no money - so how could they afford a bigger budget?

National reputation in Switzerland means nothing in England, Italy and Spain. So you quit the job and now you don't have a job. Your choices, your game.

I've heard that it's rather hard for uncontracted managers to get jobs in FM12 no matter what experience, so bolulu, you're probably not alone. I recommend you do what most do: work around it and don't let it spoil your experience. You can, for example, create a new manager and take over the club you intend to manage. Alternatively, you can run your career with the aim of not getting sacked, and wait for another club to offer you a job while you're in an existing contract - so long as you're not tied down for too long, and you're doing well, the offers will come, if you're discreet you won't upset your club too much.

They may change it with a future patch, they may not, so as I suggest, work around it and enjoy the game!

The issue is that you started as 'semi pro' and this is why, even though you have had some success, the game is not giving you much recognition.

The better way is to maybe start the manager rep as 'Automatic' and that will enable to better job offers but will still keep some element of realism to the game, i.e. Man U may not offer you a job but its likely someone will.

I'm think you're giving good advice hugo!

However, I am still a little disappointed that a game I have spent two (game) years in is now no longer playable. There should be a job offer in this game somewhere. Germinal Beerschot for goodness sake, Aue, Lommel United (excuse me?) and numerous other lower league clubs which I am sure would not stretch the imagination to employ a person who has already had the experience of getting another similar team promoted.

There needs to be a 'failsafe' job offer in there somewhere.

BTW, I am 18 months out of work now, carrying on just to see who blinks first between me & WWFM.

You could try being more proactive about getting a job, show interest in a few jobs, then go along to a game of each of the clubs, the game recognises that you are doing this and it can work in your favour.

Unfortunately you have chosen a very low rep and started in the 2nd division of a very low rep league, and quit without any real success, no one is going to know who you are outwith Switzerland and wont be rushing to offer you a job.

I'm think you're giving good advice hugo!

However, I am still a little disappointed that a game I have spent two (game) years in is now no longer playable. There should be a job offer in this game somewhere. Germinal Beerschot for goodness sake, Aue, Lommel United (excuse me?) and numerous other lower league clubs which I am sure would not stretch the imagination to employ a person who has already had the experience of getting another similar team promoted.

There needs to be a 'failsafe' job offer in there somewhere.

BTW, I am 18 months out of work now, carrying on just to see who blinks first between me & WWFM.

Based on your rep and the leagues you've loaded you won't be offered a job in England, Italy, Spain, France or Germany. Unless you have other options this just leaves Switzerland, how many 2nd division sides/lower first division have sacked their manager in those 18 months?

Have you declared an interest in taking over any of these sides?

Presuming you are on FM12 load some other countries of lower reputation or add extra levels to the ones already loaded.

I am on holiday & applying for all the jobs; more pro-active than 'declaring an interest' surely. In fact I am about to give up on this game & start over. Life's too short to do what I'm doing.

Still believe the game has a fault by just going on & on ad-infinitum with no offers. That's wrong!

Before I leave this thread (with my tail between my legs) Wild2475, can you explain what 'Automatic' means for management experience? Would it be better than semi-pro? I don't like to play at a level where I get the Arsenal job offered after a successful year one.

Yes but your just applying, do you know how many people apply for managerial positions whenever they come up? If i was in your position i would be declaring interest in jobs, then going to games ontop of applying. But to be honest you have given yourself such a hard start you might be best starting again.

I am on holiday & applying for all the jobs; more pro-active than 'declaring an interest' surely. In fact I am about to give up on this game & start over. Life's too short to do what I'm doing.

No, declaring an interest is more proactive - You can go to a struggling team and you sometimes get the option in the top right. Once selected they'll be a chance that the AI will sack the manager and offer you the job.

Still believe the game has a fault by just going on & on ad-infinitum with no offers. That's wrong!

Its a problem of your own creation due to the leagues you have chosen to load. I can't really see away around that tbh, SI have given you the ability to add/remove leagues, why aren't you using it?

Before I leave this thread (with my tail between my legs) Wild2475, can you explain what 'Automatic' means for management experience? Would it be better than semi-pro? I don't like to play at a level where I get the Arsenal job offered after a successful year one.

Automatic has varied between FM versions but it tends to match your reputation to the club you chose to manage at the start or to a level that will allow you to get a job in the lowest rep league you've loaded (If starting unemployed).

In your case it wouldn't have made any real difference to the problem you've got.

With International Experience you start out with that amount of reputation yes. Automatic means you get an average reputation for the league in which the club you're taking over plays in. I got Regional with Roma, though, so I am unsure if it works like it did in FM11...

OK!

Starting over! Can't get a job here I'm just a complete flop; doohhh!

Would like to thank most of you for the positive help & criticisms received.

Who to go with now; it takes me AGES to decide an a new (lower level) club to begin with?

Cheers!

Calling it a 'simulation' changes nothing. Everyone stumps up their cash for the 'simulation' to have fun. What is happening in my case is not fun! Therefore this situation is surely defeating the object of the 'simulation's' existence?

So Man Utd should offer you a job within a week of you being unemployed and you'd prefer that? You get out what you put in mate, make an effort.

OK!

Starting over! Can't get a job here I'm just a complete flop; doohhh!

Would like to thank most of you for the positive help & criticisms received.

Who to go with now; it takes me AGES to decide an a new (lower level) club to begin with?

Cheers!

Take one with a relatively big stadium. In FM11, if you built a new stadium it took twenty years until they could consider building a new one, so if this is the same in FM12 most players really only get one stadium per club - and you should bless the gods if the capacity is increased with fifty percent, let alone doubled. So if you start with a minature club with a capacity of 3000 planning to take over the world, erase all other plans than FM because you're looking at forty-fifty seasons ;)

BTW it looks like you go for career mode but personally I really can't see the fun in that - it hurts too much to see the AI ruin what I have built up over several seasons in the matter of weeks, and the most boring stuff to me is to clear out the useless players and staff since I have done that so many times already.

But to each their own I guess...

Mafino!

Talk about missing the point; I'll take a pint of whatever your drinking.

Come back when you've read the thread properly & have something intelligent to add.

Thx again to the other advisors!

I agree with the OP as long as he has not been offered any jobs from higher reputation teasm in the swiss league than his last one, as thats part of progression, if he does a good job with a lesser swiss club a big swiss club would become interested, then if he gets into a euro competition it should increase his reputation slightly, also if he is english he shoulds receive some english coverage their for slight attention from lower league english clubs. especially if he is sending his cv to them, surley they would be interested in someone who got a team promoted.

The majority of english managers in foreign league are spoke about within england at some poiint, steve nicol in america, hodgson in scandanavia, albeit it after not doing a great job with blackburn but he went to scandanavia and made a name for himself.

But this is just my opinion, and yeah it is a game and should be considered as one for terms of realism at times, everyone know games can become to realistic.

As far as i am aware the manager doesnt always negotiate contracts or handle transfers so if we are taking it that far then when you takeover a club who have someone in place for transfers we should not be abke to make our own.

I cant agree with OP. There are many real managers that are well known in their cowntry and almost unknown in foreign countries.

Its not unreal that teams in others leagues dont offer you a job, even very small teams, because they never heard of you.

The problem its because you quit so easilly in the 1st job you had. When I play in career mode (starting unemployed) I grab what I can and only give up that team if another offers me a job. Because, even if thats a small team with very bad players, you could make something to be better known and thats all that matters.

If you give up I think its logical that the game doesnt reward you for that.

If you just want to have fun pick some big team like barça, real, etc. Starting with a small team its another kind of fun.

The're called opinions Stampler. Complaints are OK if the poster believes they are valid & I believe mine is.

This is a forum for these sort of exchanges, or perhaps that's passed you by.; so fatuous comments like 'thats just ridiculous' & 'so please then dont play the game if you just complain' are counter to the spirit of these pages.

I'll always be pleased to hear any of your constructive comments Stampler, but I won't stand up whilst I'm waiting.

I had 5 successful seasons at Santo Andre. Bringing them from Division 3 to First Division champions. Also won Sao Paulo State. Copa Sudamerica. Copa Liberatoras - on many occassions. I had great success in Brazil.

I then wanted a change of pace.

Everton job was up for grabs. I got laughed at.

Dortmund - laughed at

Sunderland - Flattered

I got Sunderland to 2nd place after 1.5 seasons, and won the Euro Cup and got to the final (didn't play champs league football with them)

Arsenal then approached me - and I took the job.

Just like real life - I would never leave a job without having another one lined up.

Sorry for the OP who can't get a job after a year. Perhaps take another low team and try to make a success. It was difficult for me to get out of Brazil after 5 very successful seasons. But once I got out it was worth it.

I know enjoy trashing both Everton and Dortmund in every game I play against them. I wish I could comment on the fact they rejected me in such a manner.

I was actually going to make a Thread about how demeaning that "laughed at" is when applying for a job, but decided not to. Considering kids play the game and the attitude displayed for trying to move up the football world, I think the news message is all wrong in it's tone.

I started unemployed. It took until the 28th October until I was offered the Lleida Esportiu in Segunda B group 3. They were 15 and had a media prediction of 5th. At the end of the season I had finished 5th, just 1 point from a playoff place. Then in June all my players were released from the club, I dont know if it was a bug or not but I was not impressed and resigned. I then continued to apply for segunda clubs and got laughed at. It then took until the first week in July (1 month after resigning) when Terressa approached me. They were another Segunda 2 team and I took the job.

I would have taken anything jmf. Getting an offer after a month is great!

BTW, enjoyed your post Eugene. I will persevere in the job I am in in future until I get another job offer. I have learn't my lesson.

Walks away muttering '....still think the game should have offered me some sort of job....mumble...mumble.'

I totally agree bolulu, the point is to manage a team. I think you should have more chances rather than waiting a year. The game should perhaps open up jobs prospects for you somehow. Perhaps under pressure manages get the bump to allow you to get in there? Or something.

Archived