Need Squad Status Help

I'm new to the Football Manager series and I'm having trouble understanding the point of the Squad Status setting. The manual says:

This screen allows you to set the squad and transfer status of a player. You can determine his role from this list of self-explanatory options:

Indispensable to the club

Important first team player

Used in a squad rotation system

Backup to the first team

Hot prospect for the future*

Decent young player*

Not needed by the club

(* only eligible for younger players)

This can be set for any member of the squad, but for those you wish to sell, you can move on to set your instructions for handling transfer offers, including desired fees and whether the player is ‘officially’ on the Transfer List.

Once you’re happy with your changes, hit ‘Confirm’ to apply them.

This is definitely not self explanatory as it doesn't describe the effect (positive or negative) of changing these settings. I even have my assistant coach advising me to change players to this or that Squad Status but I don't understand why or how it affects the game other than ******* off the player if he is downgraded.

Any help or information would be wonderful.

Thank you!

not sure about this, but i think it is set to give information to other clubs.

so, if they are interested in one of you players, they could know what chances do they have to sign the player.

if you set a player as (indispensable to the club) that's mean that they know that it's imposible that they are going to sign your player without a really good offer that might be much more than the player's value.

it helps you if you want to sell some players you could set them as (not needed by the club), other clubs may be more interesting in bidding.

it's also very helpfull, if you want to sign a player, you could see what's his status. it's more likely that you'll have a successfull bid with a player set to (not needed), with very low price. (as if the player's value is $5m - it's possible to get him with $750k)

maybe someone else could help you more, as i'm not 100% sure about it :)

Its about player expectations.

For example if you have someone set as a key first team player but they hardly ever play, then they will become upset. If you then change their status to backup, they will expect not to get as many games. They still may not be happy about it though, but at least know where they stand so will eventually accept it or request a transfer.

If you rotate them enough it doesn't matter. I have never had a complaint about lack of first team matches, so to me those squad statuses are only there to allow me to give them higher or lower wages depending on their demands.

"First team regular" =/= playing every match

It is also a good indication to the player of how much game time he can expect to have.

One thing that annoys me about squad status is that I find usually half your squad will try and push themselves up to being a key player when their contract comes up for renewal.

Archived