Fallen Giants

I am after a list of once big clubs that have fallen on hard times. I feel like trying to restore a club to it's former glory.

Anyone make any suggestions for clubs outside the British Isles that would fulfill that criteria?

I am after a list of once big clubs that have fallen on hard times. I feel like trying to restore a club to it's former glory.

Anyone make any suggestions for clubs outside the British Isles that would fulfill that criteria?

Queen's Park!

They've won the Scottish FA Cup more times than any other non-Old Firm club, were one of the first Scottish dominant forces and play at Hampden Park.

...however they refuse to give up their amateur status and pay players - their club motto is "to play for the sake of playing". Now there's a challenge!

Edit---> Oops... just noticed "outside the British Isles". Sorry!

Queen's Park!

They've won the Scottish FA Cup more times than any other non-Old Firm club, were one of the first Scottish dominant forces and play at Hampden Park.

...however they refuse to give up their amateur status and pay players - their club motto is "to play for the sake of playing". Now there's a challenge!

Edit---> Oops... just noticed "outside the British Isles". Sorry!

Yeah, I got as far as the Premier with 'em in fm2011 before definetely giving up as I was still waiting for them to turn pro :mad: and didn't know they were programmed to stay amature...

You've got the editing option though if you want to... I just didn't felle it was right ;)

You've got Red Star 93 in French national (3rd division) also as a nice challenge.

Stade de Reims is a good example and sounds perfect for what you want.

2 times Champions League/European Cup finalists, once the dominant side in their country and had one of the greatest attacks in the history of the game with Just Fontaine and Raymond Kopa and now a struggling second tier team.

Steaua Bucharest from Romania - once won the Champions Cup and European Super Cup and soon after lost another Champions Cup Final. Five years ago they were also in the semi-final of the UEFA Cup and almost got through to the Final with Sevilla. You could try it, they are not too happy with their latest Romanian League results either and they have an incisive chairman, who sacks coaches in a matter of few lost games.

Boavista and Belenenses were the only teams outside of the top 3 of Portugal to win the league

belenenses is in the 2nd tier

boavista is in the 3rd tier

Boavista won theirs in the 2000's and only fell through the leagues due to financial problems if am not wrong

If you want something exotic check out Oulun Palloseura (OPS). It's former Finnish giant. They won Finnish championship twice in 1979 and 1980. Also they fought 1-1 draw with Liverpool in European cup in 1980 (though they lost ugly in Liverpool ;) ) Currently they are playing in Finnish 1st division and definitely fighting for promotion!

+1 for River

Alania in Russian First Division won the Premier League and stayed at the top for a while in the 90's and are now bottom of their current league.

Same with Torpedo Moscow.

There was also a Hungarian side Puskas played for that were HUGE in his time, before he went to Real Madrid. Can't remember who though.

Sampdoria

Borussia Mönchengladbach

Eintracht Frankfurt

IFK Göteborg

Parma

Anderlecht

How is Anderlecht a fallen giant? Sure they haven't won the champions league lately but they are leading the Belgian league and are currently the only team in the europa league with a perfect record.

napoli. although they are improving, they are not yet where they once were. I'm going into my fourth season with them and its been my best save in years. It makes it fun if you do what they do in real life, only sign italian and argentinians, makes for a robust team with oodles of flair

Luton town FC of England.

Holstein Kiel of German.

Lol Luton town may of fallen, only buy 2 leagues, plus LT was never a giant, with the very small fan base they i say league 2 is about there lvl. TBH Luton town is such a small and poor town they should dissolve and put there resources into helping MK Dons out.

If you are after a proper challenge, apart from the usual Sheffield Wednesday/Nottingham Forest type suggestions...try this:

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2011/2/6/the-fallen-giants-of-spanish-football.html

Does FM12 go down as far as 'Segunda Division B'?

Yes, all four divisions of the Segunda B are featured.

Some good "fallen giants" to try:

2ªB1 - Real Oviedo, Tenerife, Albacete

2ªB2 - Alavés, Real Unión (four times Spanish Cup winners, pre-1930)

2ªB3 - Lleida Esportiu (formerly just Lleida)

2ªB4 - Cádiz

Meanwhile, next step up in Liga Adelante, most prominent "fallen giants" would probably be:

Celta Vigo, Real Valladolid, Deportivo de la Coruña

How exactly are Liverpool a fallen giant?

They was a big team, you cant really say they are a giant now. They are a team fighting for CL spot.

A really big team back then. Sure they did won UCL few years ago. But when was the last time won the league? 18 titles and no more.

I doubt they will win the league in the next 3 years.

They was a big team, you cant really say they are a giant now. They are a team fighting for CL spot.

A really big team back then. Sure they did won UCL few years ago. But when was the last time won the league? 18 titles and no more.

I doubt they will win the league in the next 3 years.

Of course they're a giant, if they're a side in contention for European qualification, they're still spending £20m+ on players like Suarez, Carroll, Downing. They've only 'fallen' from the best team to the 5th or 6th best in 20 years. Not exactly a meteoric descent is it. Leeds/Notts Forest are sides who have reached European finals, playing in lower divisions, that's what quantifies a fallen giant. And besides, the OP did say non-British teams. Deportivo are a good example; Champions League regulars only a few years ago. THAT's a fallen giant. If Liverpool get relegated this season, then they'd qualify. Not finishing in the top 4 doesn't.

Archived