squad rotation/tired players etc

At the moment I pick my strongest 11 for every match unless I notice a drop in morale/form where I tell the player I will rest him for a few games. More often than not he will tell me he has been feeling fatigued etc.

This is a bit random, for all I know I could have been playing with 4 or 5 fatigued players for weeks.

I assume I am missing something and there is somewhere I can find out this information?

Any thoughts?

Generally you'll look at "Condition". Less than 93% and I start to doubt they are ready to start a game for me.

Also:

Tactics > Fitness

I never play players who are "Tired".

Try to avoid "Lacking in match fitness" unless it's early season.

I find it's best to create your own set of columns to view all important bits of info.

I have made a custom filter for my squad screen which helps me keep track of those things.

I rotate very heavily, so most of the players in my team(s) get roughly an equal amount of games per year, ranging from 15-35 starts each. I normally only start with 100% fit players, so my "lower limit" is 95%, and then only for matches where I really need the max CA on the field. I have never in my life told a player I am resting him, and I rarely experience "unexplained" morale drops (which I assume have something to do with being rested). I would say it is not necessary to risk upsetting players by telling them that you are dropping them for some reason... especially when the risk of upsetting them by not telling them anything is smaller.

There is no point rotating heavily with players who have no future at the club. In other words, I only start doing that when I have gotten rid of everyone in the club's starting squad.

I like to have a set starting eleven with a solid core that will start most games. I only rotate a couple of players for any game, at most. Then test out others by subbing them in for 30 minutes or so if things are going well. Those that impress get a chance at a regular spot when others in the starting 11 let their standards drop. Works well enough, except the odd complaint about lack of playing time. Then again, if rotational players start complaining they will most likely be replaced anyway since rotational in my team means expendable in most cases.

Yes, you also need to look out for the warning sigh, 'jaded'. This is when the player is still physically fit enough to keep playing, but mentally he needs a break or his form will drop badly.

My goalkeeper is my only permanent fixture. I have two leaders, both DCs - my captain and vice-captain. I try to play one and keep one on the bench when it's a game I'm expected to win. Otherwise the rest of my first team squad might play 40-70% of matches. As a result I never get anyone topping the scoring or MoM charts in the league tables because they play fewer games than their rivals. As well as reducing injuries and loss of form, this policy is key for developing my youngsters.

It does depend on where you're playing a bit. In MLS at the moment, I only have one game a week, as the cup and CL haven't started; that's made it less advantageous to rotate, as I can really put out my best 11 every game. I'm pretty much relying on the reserve squad for match fitness and replacing players only as they get injured, and that's working...but I'm sure I haven players who will want to leave midseason.

Archived