R.I.P Gary Speed

Just heard the news on the passing of Wales manager and former Leeds, Everton, N/castle and Bolton player Gary Speeds passing aged 42.

What are your memories of this great player either in real life or in FM/CM series?

Have to say a brilliant player who had all the makings of a brilliant manager. A sad day for the whole of football and more importantly his family and friends. After watching football focus yesterday he seemed to be full of enthusiasm for the game. A tragic loss indeed RIP Gary Speed

Very very sad day for his family, and football in general, im a Man U fan, but its still sad to lose someone at such a young age, still cant get my head round the fact that at 42, with what we would al say was a fantastic job, a spectacular home, and as far as we are aware that loved him, he still chose to take his own life, makes me wonder what demons were lurking in his mind at the time.

God bless you Gary Speed RIP

Please keep any discussion in this thread related to FM memories of Speed, it just isn't the right place for a sad thread about real life.

Please either use this thread or the equivalent in the Football Forum to mourn Gary or whatever you wish to do :)

I think Gary Speed was the first player I signed on FM07, wanted to add some Premiership experience to the side, and who better than the man who was then the record appearance maker for the league? He didn't do very well.

Please keep any discussion in this thread related to FM memories of Speed, it just isn't the right place for a sad thread about real life.

Please either use this thread or the equivalent in the Football Forum to mourn Gary or whatever you wish to do :)

I think Gary Speed was the first player I signed on FM07, wanted to add some Premiership experience to the side, and who better than the man who was then the record appearance maker for the league? He didn't do very well.

I tried to sign him for Crewe on an older FM on a free transfer but I cannot remember which one it was but he was old at the time.

I didn't have many FM memories of Speed, but I loved watching him play for Bolton when he was their skipper and taking their spot kicks in real life. When he moved to Sheffield United as a player-coach I was excited for him because I knew he would become a fantastic manager from what I knew about his playing style and personality on the pitch. Sad loss today.

Speed is always a good reference point when arguing that in FM, players shouldn't always take a massive drop in physical qualities as soon as they hit 30. Speed still had exceptional physical qualities right up until his late 30s, which is something which could never be replicated in FM, and something I've always found annoying. In FM10 for example, if a player who starts the starts the game young, and quite good, by the time they reach late thirties (if still playing), they're physical stats will be shot, but they'll have insanely high technical and mental attributes, which is just silly really. I've seen players before with 1-3 on every physical attribute, but 20 on just about all technical ones.

Archived