Corner kicks are an absolute joke!

if one thing S.I. needs to sort out for their next patch, its the corner kicks. 9 times out 10 after its been taken, its kicked wide of the near post by a player. ridiculous. i appreciate there may be some sort of 'tactic' that can get round this, but if it were real life this wouldnt happen. nor would you have to specificaly tell your players not to do this. corners are historically a difficult way to score goals in FM. just like free kicks in pro evo.

if one thing S.I. needs to sort out for their next patch, its the corner kicks. 9 times out 10 after its been taken, its kicked wide of the near post by a player. ridiculous. i appreciate there may be some sort of 'tactic' that can get round this, but if it were real life this wouldnt happen. nor would you have to specificaly tell your players not to do this. corners are historically a difficult way to score goals in FM. just like free kicks in pro evo.

the problem was that last season you could score a corner almost ever game with near post flicks. They have made a tweak to this. I would suggest looking through the forum for a good corner routine. Mine right now scores about 15 goals a season in the prem.

I think this might be the answer to your troubles...

Scoring from corners cracked

I don't think there's a particular problem with corners myself. Yes, it's hard to score lots of goals from them, but as IRL, teams successful from corners tend to have a set play they stick with that's difficult to defend against.

Follow the instructions in the thread I've linked and you have an example of one such tactical approach. icon14.gif

Yeah, I agree with the tc.. my corner taker always always aims for the near post even though I have the corners setting on "penalty area" or "far post" maybe this is due to his creative freedom being set too high? My current corner taker's corners stat is pretty high so I can't figure it out why he keeps shooting for the near post. I have one player set to Near Post Flick on, but aiming for him all the time doesn't make sense. Even when I had the tactic set to mixed, always the near post

Default corner kicks are laughable, but with a bit of work they are generally ok.

The only must is that you get rid of near post flick on, because it just ruins corners.

Yes there are too many over hit, or hit into the guy stood 3 yards away (often successively) but i don't think they're that bad - bear in mind that IRL corners are quite often wasted by players.

Also it depends what team you are - IRL i've never seen barca score from a corner, i'm sure they have at some point, but 8/10 they seem to take short.

I score from corners at least once every three games, sometimes more. One word: TACTICS.

1. removed anyone and everyone from the "near post flick" instruction. 2. Check out the other options on this forum. I think there must be a dozen threads on this now. The link from heathxxx is one of many.

did you guys notice how AI changes thier corner instructions during matches? I know we can do it also, but at least what we could have, is 3 sets of corner instruction that could easily be changed during match, so we don't have to click on each player and play for 2 hours...

I think corners are fine, I score around 20 a season, which not many teams get too near in real life.

Yes the default settings are terrible, but it clearly states in the manual and in those annoying ingame tips that you should take the time to setup you'w own setpeices!

Persoanlly I'd like to see more settings for freekicks....like from a good angle and within 25yards shoot. from further out aim for best header..rather than setting to mixed and hoping they use the right freekick in the right place.

Mitja - you can....just save your tactic 3 times with different types of corner on each - it's not more trouble clicking 'tactic + corner 1' or 'tactic + corner 2' than it would be to click a particualr corner setup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Minimal_Fuss:

I think corners are fine, I score around 20 a season, which not many teams get too near in real life.

Yes the default settings are terrible, but it clearly states in the manual and in those annoying ingame tips that you should take the time to setup you'w own setpeices!

Persoanlly I'd like to see more settings for freekicks....like from a good angle and within 25yards shoot. from further out aim for best header..rather than setting to mixed and hoping they use the right freekick in the right place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you think they are fine, but you score 20 in a season???!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Minimal_Fuss:

Mitja - you can....just save your tactic 3 times with different types of corner on each - it's not more trouble clicking 'tactic + corner 1' or 'tactic + corner 2' than it would be to click a particualr corner setup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you got me there, but I don't find it as a particullary good soulution, what if ME sees it like 3 different tactics, for example?

my point was clear, to have some variations on that metter, not how to out smart the computor...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please. Stop being an SI apologist. The default corners, those used by all those casual gamers that SI love, those people who don't come to the forum (and all the other qualities that are paraded as reasons to ignore our suggestions), are pants.

The corner taker hits it to the guy 3 yards wide of the near post who promptly hits it wide. Every. Time.

Now of course it can be tweaked, but the default options have to be a nicely balanced, average type of play.

I completely fail to see the point in making the game unrealistic out of the box to encourage people to tweak and fiddle. Those fiddlers will fiddle anyway but for those of us who don't it's a pain to have to correct massive flaws.

VB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please. Stop being an SI apologist. The default corners, those used by all those casual gamers that SI love, those people who don't come to the forum (and all the other qualities that are paraded as reasons to ignore our suggestions), are pants.

The corner taker hits it to the guy 3 yards wide of the near post who promptly hits it wide. Every. Time.

Now of course it can be tweaked, but the default options have to be a nicely balanced, average type of play.

I completely fail to see the point in making the game unrealistic out of the box to encourage people to tweak and fiddle. Those fiddlers will fiddle anyway but for those of us who don't it's a pain to have to correct massive flaws.

VB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've just made this point in another thread, the default tactics should be useful - or at least point a user in the right direction - i was trying to get one of my mates into this game, he set up a "default" 4-4-2, and used the suggested settings for each position, and guess what, first game he played as arsenal vs derby, he lost 2-0, i don't expect the default tactics to win any leagues, but this game is just not accessible to casual gamers, and issues like the comical default corners are just making matters worse.

Before you start a match, go to your tactics screen, spent 30 secs setting up your corner instructions, and save over your tactic - it then employs this corner routine in every match you play using this tactic. The downside is you need to do this for all your saved tactics.

You can even do this on the defaults - just save the default as a new name and it plays like the default tactic, just with better corners.

Default corners are pants, but then if you don't give players instructions what sort of manager are you?

Gotta say, I've tried the "Corners - Cracked" thing, and i've seen improvement. Usually, no matter the setting i had it on, the corner taker would whip it into the near post, and the attacker would head it wide from an obtuse angle, with the commentary saying "he should have scored", even though its practically impossible from that angle, but now, the ball seems to get into the box more, and i'd say my goals from corners has improved by about 300%. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Before you start a match, go to your tactics screen, spent 30 secs setting up your corner instructions, and save over your tactic - it then employs this corner routine in every match you play using this tactic. The downside is you need to do this for all your saved tactics.

You can even do this on the defaults - just save the default as a new name and it plays like the default tactic, just with better corners.

Default corners are pants, but then if you don't give players instructions what sort of manager are you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what is irritating a lot of people is that in FM07 the default corners were fine, in 8.0.1 apart from always getting disallowed, the default corners were fine, it's just that 8.0.2 has ruined any near post corners - this is what annoys people, i don't mind having to set up a corner routine, but there is clearly a problem with the ME that makes near post corners useless.

something that no one here's noted is that the ai wastes a huge proportion of its corners by knocking them to the near post, where the player will invariably nod them wide. it's a big advantage to the human player to be able to adjust corner routine so that it works when the ai seems stuck with the bugged default options

in fm07 it was only a problem if people set their corner routine specifically to take advantage of a flaw to the game engine. the correct way to fix a flaw like this should not be to render near post flick ons pointless, to the extent that you get a "that was a sitter" message every time you or the ai have a guy at the near post send one wide from an impossible angle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

802? you must be joking... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Typo - clearly i meant 8.0.1 . lol, if they are ruined on 8.0.2 then i may well be unhappy.

Archived