Tutoring

Tutoring is done by 24+ year-olds for youngsters who have lower reputation.

It passes on mental attributes (hidden + Determination) to the tutee, so it is important that the tutor has high(er) Determination and a good personality (like Professional, Determined, Ambitious and better). It may also pass on Player Preferred Moves as seen under Positions.

Without high Professionality and Ambition, a youngster will not reach his potential. Determination helps him play well, which is also important for his development. Tutoring is therefore essential in a plan to develop youngsters into first team players. Very few high-potential youngsters will be generated with good enough mental stats to reach their potential on their own.

I know it may have changed since then, but on FM10 (which is the one I play), a player can be a tutor as soon as they're 22. Also, the maximum age for a player being tutored is 26. It's worth noting too that the tutor must be at least the same age as the tutee, and must also be at least of the same squad status.

For me tutoring is a vital. If done correctly, you can pass on a winning mentality from generation to generation.

I know it may have changed since then, but on FM10 (which is the one I play), a player can be a tutor as soon as they're 22. Also, the maximum age for a player being tutored is 26. It's worth noting too that the tutor must be at least the same age as the tutee, and must also be at least of the same squad status.

For me tutoring is a vital. If done correctly, you can pass on a winning mentality from generation to generation.

This is incorrect, I've had several players tutoring at 19 years of age and had my captain tutoring at 17 years of age. I have also had two players tutor each other at different times, they were the same age and shared a birthday in May (10th & 29th)

Also you can set a player to tutor several youngsters at the same time:-

Go to player profile and choose player interaction, select the linked player and type of tutoring but don't click confirm, repeat for as many players as you wish to tutor then go back through them and click confirm on each.

(FM11/12ers please note, this is for FM10) :)

Tutoring is quite hard now, 9 out of 10 I get either "gained nothing substantial" or a fallout between 2 players. :/

(fm12)

The "gained little" responses aren't true, actually. They do learn a lot; I have seen a youngster increase his Determination both 3 and 4 points and get a better personality... but still be disappointed with what he learned.

The "gained little" responses aren't true, actually. They do learn a lot; I have seen a youngster increase his Determination both 3 and 4 points and get a better personality... but still be disappointed with what he learned.

Was that because the ppm didn't "stick"?

Tutoring has always been a bit of a mystery to me and I tend to avoid it - but I know I'm missing a big trick.

There are different patches for FM10 mate, so I'd suggest we must be playing different ones, as I guarantee some of what you've said there won't work on the FM10.3 patch.

I'm using the same patch and I guarantee that it all works. I can provide screenshots if you want, but here's some I made earlier (regarding age of tutor), Posts #124 & #125:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/213536-Tutoring-results-test/page2

I remember when my coach recommended a tutor for a promising youngster. He had determination 6 and ppm argues with officials. And they wonder why I never talk to them.

With good tutors you could have got his Determination up to 20, improved his personality and got him to unlearn that PPM. If they have enough potential and you have the means to help them, then they are nearly always worth having. I have only given up on one youngster who was Unambitious and rejected three tutors and fell out with another.

Yes never blindly accept the advice of the coaches. I ignore the vast majority of the advice given to me - in truth the only reason I go into the coach meeting stuff is the odd chance that they know about a good youngster, so I always scout them... don't even look at the names.

If the managers follow the advice of their coaches and assistant, no wonder they are underperforming...

They do, however, develop a negative relationship, and one of the major perks of tutoring is building strong relationships among your squad. When your star youngster loves your captain, it makes him very easy to motivate. When he dislikes your captain, he becomes harder to motivate.

And yes, the coaches are idiots. They don't look at personality at all, though changing a player's personality is the main reason you tutor in the first place.

Which one to choose, "help improve his game" or "take X under your wing and mentor him off the pitch"?

In my opinion "help improve his game" changes the tutees determination stats and adds PPM at the mimimum.

And I think that "mentor off pitch" does the above but also changes the hidden stats like ambition/loyalty etc.

In my opinion "help improve his game" changes the tutees determination stats and adds PPM at the mimimum.

And I think that "mentor off pitch" does the above but also changes the hidden stats like ambition/loyalty etc.

My gut feeling is that the following applies (with no emperical proof whatsoever):

"Help improve his game" - Affects Determination + hidden stats and can transfer PPMs

"Mentor him off the pitch" - Affects Determination + hidden stats, but no transfer of PPMs

Now why would you chose the second option then?? .. well your tutor might have some PPMs that you really don't want the youngster to get. This way he can still benefit from tutoring by the tutor's mental stats, without getting unwanted PPMs that can be a huge detriment to his game (and usually impossible to get him to untrain again).

My gut feeling is that the following applies (with no emperical proof whatsoever):

"Help improve his game" - Affects Determination + hidden stats and can transfer PPMs

"Mentor him off the pitch" - Affects Determination + hidden stats, but no transfer of PPMs

Now why would you chose the second option then?? .. well your tutor might have some PPMs that you really don't want the youngster to get. This way he can still benefit from tutoring by the tutor's mental stats, without getting unwanted PPMs that can be a huge detriment to his game (and usually impossible to get him to untrain again).

It also appeared to be the case in previous versions (again, no incontrovertable proof) that the lower option was more likely to succeed, but would raise attributes by less. What I generally did was do a first tutoring on the lowest option, so if they fell out they didnt hate each other, but if the tuition succeeded I'd put the same two together for a more advanced session.

I think this part of the game needs some work. I am fine with a manager choosing an inappropriate tutor (ie Adel Tarrabbt kind of player when older), but the whole thing seems way to

temperamental. I sometimes ask a player and they say 'no' outright, which is pretty odd. If they do say yes, there is a reasonable chance that the younger player will say 'no' outright,

which is even more odd... 'Learn from Michael Owen? No thanks, he's crap!'. If they do both agree, they often ending up disliking each other, which can happen in real life from time to

time, but nowhere near as much as it does in this game. A bad choice by the manager should lead to the younger player not really improving, not them actually hating each other!

Anyone else agree?

Sorry Stormen but SI confirmed last year that the only difference between the options was how the tutor reacted, it made no difference to the tutee.

It may have changed for FM12.

I think this part of the game needs some work. I am fine with a manager choosing an inappropriate tutor (ie Adel Tarrabbt kind of player when older), but the whole thing seems way to

temperamental. I sometimes ask a player and they say 'no' outright, which is pretty odd. If they do say yes, there is a reasonable chance that the younger player will say 'no' outright,

which is even more odd... 'Learn from Michael Owen? No thanks, he's crap!'. If they do both agree, they often ending up disliking each other, which can happen in real life from time to

time, but nowhere near as much as it does in this game. A bad choice by the manager should lead to the younger player not really improving, not them actually hating each other!

Anyone else agree?

Just to confirm, I'm talking about FM12. Although it was a problem in the other games too.

Archived