Geography

Hello there

can someone tell me why the coordinates used in the FM Database differ always a bit from the real coordinates

Example :

LONDON (real) Coordinates: 51°30′26″N 0°7′39″W (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London)

Coordinates used in FM : 51.52 -0.10

Btw. i am from germany...could you explain me which "system" is used to adress the coordinates - thx

It looks like the real coordinates are being written in degrees, minutes and seconds, with the values in FM using the decimal equivalents.

For many practical purposes, a degree is a small enough angle that whole degrees provide sufficient precision. When this is not the case, as in astronomy or for latitudes and longitudes on the Earth, degree measurements may be written with decimal places like 40.1875° with the degree symbol behind the decimals.

Alternatively, the traditional sexagesimal unit subdivision can be used. One degree is divided into 60 minutes (of arc), and one minute into 60 seconds (of arc). These units, also called the arcminute and arcsecond, are respectively represented as a single and double prime: for example, 40.1875° = 40° 11′ 15″ . Sometimes single and double quotation marks are used instead 40° 11' 15" .

I'm voting this as weirdest question ever asked! Mind if I ask why you brought this up?!

??

Cause i am adding new Cities to the editor...and the Encarta/Atlas or Wikipedia coordinates won't match ?! :confused:

hopefully this answer will satisfy you -:)

Ah I see. I heard that the UK will have to grow by 10 cities the size of Sundeland before 2020 to accomodate all the immigration so that's got to give scope for some huge football teams.

I'm voting this as weirdest question ever asked! Mind if I ask why you brought this up?!

Not weird at all. I've created a number of Scottish highland villages in the editor and I also needed accurate coordinates. I got mine off a combination of google maps and wikipedia. New stadia need the coordinates too.

As has been mentioned, a lot of websites use degrees, minutes, and seconds for co-ordinates. FM uses the decimal system.

For those of you who need co-ordinates for adding cities, you'll love this site: www.itouchmap.com/latlong.html

Yes, but I noticed that in some instances they seem to have made a mistake by using the degrees/minutes value in the decimal mode, Turkish cities for example.

e.g. 41degrees 59minutes would be put in as 41.59 instead of 41.98

Archived