Network Games ??? Help please...

I am a bit of a NEWBIE when it comes to Network games... not sure if there is a dedicated section for these ??? Anyways I couldn't find one so thought I should post here...

I am looking for help on how to get into Network Games... I found information via another forum on them, but could not manage to join any, it kept coming up with "couldnt connect to server" so any advice/help would be greatly appreciated :)

Try the FM Online on here mate theres a user guide and FAQ there.

To be honest what I found was not very helpful, it just stated the obvious and didnt trouble shoot any ideas... I saw some reference in a thread about the ports pointing to the right thing, but no reference of what the right thing is... I dont get why they didnt make it easier to do... or at least have a fools guide to it all :( There's loads of people in different threads with the same issue... and no one with the right answer :( Sucks royally... or maybe I am just too old for these games ! lol

Try google type in fm2012 network game guide and see what comes up thats what I usually do when Im stuck.

Again already done this and found nothing :(

Andy... I guess the first thing is if I have to download this Hamachi thingy everyone is mentioning...do I need it to just join a network game, when I first read about it I thought that was only needed to set up a network game...

I found two network games which gave ips... I entered both and both said "could not connect to server" I found a few with no ip, but a username... I put that same place I put the ip's (which I dont think was right) and again same message !

I am guessing the ones with usernames are for the Hamachi thingy ! So I guess I answered my own question...

Someone also mentioned about "ports" pointing to the right place... again aint got the faintest what this means... I can connect to network games like "counter strike" so I am guessing my ports are ok lol...

You have to play a game with someone with the same patch as you, Ive got patch 12.04 but Ive also got a data update Ive downloaded aswell so if we were to have a network game then we would have to have the same databases, try fmbase and fmformation if you need further help, I hope this helps you out.

Just done a quick search on google and here is a guide on how to use Hamachi.

Just found this on a football manager website that describes about network games, it might not help but its worth reading I think

Network play allows the user to play Football Manager™ 2012 against other humans over either a local area network or the internet. You can either be the host of such a saved game, or merely join a saved game hosted by another user.

To start a network game as the host, create a new saved game as has been described in this manual. Make sure the ‘Run as Server’ box is ticked in the ‘Preferences’ – this will allow other users to join your saved game. Once the game has been set up and you have chosen a team to manage, you are in a position to host a network game. From the ‘’FM’ menu, go to the ‘Game Status’ screen and note the ‘Server IP Address’. You will need to provide this to anyone you intend to allow into your network game.

Also try this link http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-network-games/

Again already done this and found nothing :(

Andy... I guess the first thing is if I have to download this Hamachi thingy everyone is mentioning...do I need it to just join a network game, when I first read about it I thought that was only needed to set up a network game...

I found two network games which gave ips... I entered both and both said "could not connect to server" I found a few with no ip, but a username... I put that same place I put the ip's (which I dont think was right) and again same message !

I am guessing the ones with usernames are for the Hamachi thingy ! So I guess I answered my own question...

Someone also mentioned about "ports" pointing to the right place... again aint got the faintest what this means... I can connect to network games like "counter strike" so I am guessing my ports are ok lol...

Firstly you do not need to download Hamachi, it's just a hinderance. If you are hosting a game and have a router you will need to configure your router to allow FM. You can use www.portforward.com, select your router and follow the guide.

If you are joining a game the pop up message is 'unable to connect to server' it is the host who has a router and not configured it to allow FM.

Everyone playing the game needs the same version of the game too.

www.portforward.com is free to use and you do not need to download a thing to get your ports open for FM.

Click on router list > select your router or a model as close to yours if its not on the list > click skip the advert > select FM2006 (its the same ports you open) > follow the guide for your router > get someone to join your game > job done

When forwarding your ports make sure the IP you are port forwarding for matches the IP on your game status screen, that is very important. The IP you port forward for will start something along the lines of 192.168.x.x.

So if I am reading things right... Hamachi is just a way of connecting with the people who run the network games ??? It's not actually anything to do with the actual network game itself, just a way to get the right information for the network game...

It's weird... I can definetly connect to some network games (so far 3) but at same time there must have been double that which came up with the "cannot connect to server" message... which to me makes no mistake... if it was a router issue surely then I wouldnt be able to connect to any of them :(

Never used Hamachi so don't really know the in's and out's of it. Try their website for all the info you need about Hamachi. The way it's always been for me is the host sets the game up and directly gives those people his IP for them to join. I assume this is what is happening for you to be joining all these games. If not how are you joining all these games?

So if I am reading things right... Hamachi is just a way of connecting with the people who run the network games ??? It's not actually anything to do with the actual network game itself, just a way to get the right information for the network game...

It's weird... I can definetly connect to some network games (so far 3) but at same time there must have been double that which came up with the "cannot connect to server" message... which to me makes no mistake... if it was a router issue surely then I wouldnt be able to connect to any of them :(

You need to forward the ports used by FM on your router even through some network games may work without it.

Archived