Asking the board to negotiate a transfer for you

I wonder, does that have any advantage to just doing it yourself?

I like to do this myself as I remain in control of fees and conditions this way. Does anybody ask the board to take care of that? If so, why? Is there something to it which I don't see or is this just a convenient option for those who don't like to get involved so much, like leaving the team-talks to the ass man?

I did it on FM11, my Dortmund board bought Neymar. He was actually on lower wages than four of my players (Honda, Hummels, Barrios and Sahin), who were all on 50,000 euro a week. Think Neymar was on something like 45,000 p/w. Transfer fee was 26.5m euro, not outrageous either. That's the only time the board have ever agreed to negotiate a transfer for me though.

I used it midway through my 1st season with Newcastle (FM12) as i had no transfer budget left, i had an offer of approx £4m accepted and offered about £35k a week and my board would not sanction it due to funds. So i asked them to do it and they signed him for a cheaper fee and wage, so overall was impressed, however i do prefer to do this myself.

Advantage in that your board will likely be more generous than they allow you to be.

Disadvantage in that your board will likely be more generous than you ever had any intention of being.

Cheers :) Nicely put.

I used it midway through my 1st season with Newcastle (FM12) as i had no transfer budget left, i had an offer of approx £4m accepted and offered about £35k a week and my board would not sanction it due to funds. So i asked them to do it and they signed him for a cheaper fee and wage, so overall was impressed, however i do prefer to do this myself.

That however sounds as if using the option might actually be worthwhile at times :)

Ackter summed it up well; I only get this option when the player is beyond my budget but the board decides we need him.

Likewise, it's worth a go every now and again as long as you use it sensibly, didn't work at Arsenal when i tried to get Tevez but whilst at Watford it worked when i asked them to sign Adam Hamill. Good feature.

Advantage in that your board will likely be more generous than they allow you to be.

Disadvantage in that your board will likely be more generous than you ever had any intention of being.

You got that right, I asked them because a striker was transfer listed for £900k and was only on around £6k a week. I thought he'd be useful, so I asked them. They were right on it signing him for a fee of £1.7 mil on £17k a week. Oh yeah! He did score 22 goals in the Championship though, so I can't be too unhappy.

Archived