Height and Weight Stats

Just a quick question. Does a player's height have any effect on his aerial ability in the game? Reason I ask is that I have two centre-halves on trial, one who is 6"1 with jumping stats of 17 and another who has the same jumping stats but is 6"7. May seem like a silly question but I've always wondered if height, and also weight, have any bearing on a player's performance or whether they are there for purely display purposes.

Jumping within FM is the highest a player can get his head so in your example both players can reach the same height (jumping = 17) but the guy who is 6'1" has to get further off the ground.

Its also used within the ME to decide if a player needs to jump at all to reach the ball so the shorter guy will have to jump more often within a game.

i am sure somewhere around was said (and by SI) that jumping ability is determined solely on jumping stat and height has no influence whatsoever. maybe that changed in this fm, dunno. please correct me if im wrong.

It changed a couple of years ago, FM09 or FM10 not sure which.

Jumping has always been the height at which a player can win headers, and not how high the player can jump (which is somewhat counter intuitive). Height used to be a completely useless, and only superficial attribute, however with the 3D match engine, it now has a relevance. The only real advantage height can give you is that a taller play may be able to control a high ball with his chest, whereas a smaller player in that situation may have to head the ball as his chest mightn't reach that height.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that very short players have a limit to how high they can get their jumping attribute. For instance if you have two identical players, both young with loads of potential, both have 9 jumping, one is 164 cm, the other 175 cm, it is likely that the shorter guy won't be able to increase his jumping much, if at all, to reach the height of 9 jumping, he is already making a huge leap, however the taller of them will have plenty of room for improvement in terms of leaping high, so he should be able to improve his jumping considerably.

Jumping has always been the height at which a player can win headers, and not how high the player can jump (which is somewhat counter intuitive). Height used to be a completely useless, and only superficial attribute, however with the 3D match engine, it now has a relevance. The only real advantage height can give you is that a taller play may be able to control a high ball with his chest, whereas a smaller player in that situation may have to head the ball as his chest mightn't reach that height.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that very short players have a limit to how high they can get their jumping attribute. For instance if you have two identical players, both young with loads of potential, both have 9 jumping, one is 164 cm, the other 175 cm, it is likely that the shorter guy won't be able to increase his jumping much, if at all, to reach the height of 9 jumping, he is already making a huge leap, however the taller of them will have plenty of room for improvement in terms of leaping high, so he should be able to improve his jumping considerably.

The appearance of height in the 3d match engine is purely cosmetic. The only thing height does is to set a minimum and maximum jumping attribute. It is mostly relevant for newgens. A newgen that is good in the air is very often around two meters tall, while in real life such towering players are actually quite rare.

The real-life logic you apply in that post is not really relevant. The explanations of why it is like it is, are just imaginary I am afraid. Height mattered before FM11, as it then was height + jumping, but they have now simplified things so that it is only Jumping that affects how high a player can jump. The rest (regarding winning aerial challenges) is up to several mental stats, and, if there is a wrestling challenge with an opposition player for the same ball, Strength.

The real-life logic you apply in that post is not really relevant. The explanations of why it is like it is, are just imaginary I am afraid. Height mattered before FM11, as it then was height + jumping, but they have now simplified things so that it is only Jumping that affects how high a player can jump. The rest (regarding winning aerial challenges) is up to several mental stats, and, if there is a wrestling challenge with an opposition player for the same ball, Strength.

As a long time player of the CM/FM series, I can confidently tell you it was never 'height + jumping'. It has always just been jumping. In fact to my memory the inclusion of height and weight at all only came in at all by FM05 or thereabouts.

Archived