Are my midfielders morons?

Ok, granted, this is a pre-season match as Bath City's U18 squad. But still. How stupid can you be on this corner??

4 midfielders (with 'Go back' order for Set Pieces, default setup) stand in the same place, nowhere near the opposition. Once the corner is taken, three of them look like they are glued together.

FM12_CornerMidfielders1.PNG

FM12_CornerMidfielders2.PNG

"4 midfielders (with 'Go back' order for Set Pieces, default setup)"

Why do you even set 4 midfielders on 'go back' order?

If its the default setting, then change it.

Because default settings should work most of the time. At least they shouldn't stand outside the box like that. At least that is not how it is shown in the Set Pieces Creator.

Because default settings should work most of the time. At least they shouldn't stand outside the box like that. At least that is not how it is shown in the Set Pieces Creator.

Its more to do with timing.

When you watch the highlight and the ball going out of play you can see your defenders moving to mark players. In this case all four have moved to mark the guy on the edge of the box and then some are starting to move to pick up other attackers but by then the corner has been taken.

I've often seen two defenders go to mark the same attacker before splitting but they aren't always given enough time.

I think if I saw any of my players doing this I'd throw the monitor out the window.

Thankfully it was only a pre-season match for the U-18s, who are not really of high quality :) .... but yeah, if I see my seniors doing that, I might need to purchase a new PC and/or monitor.

I've seen this with a top team too. It's probably a bug.

And I see too much too often players swapping marker in corner kicks. In the 15-20 sec that it takes to take the corner, the players (not only mine...) just keep changing from marking one player, then another, then another, ... till the corner is taken, and then some times one player is totally alone and scores... This needs to be solved too, because it doesn't happen in RL.

I think it is a bug, and you can replicate it yourself either as the defending or the attacking team.

Defending team: Have 2 or more players on 'Go Back' but don't assign them to mark a small/tall player. As the corner comes in, a worrying amount of times they will all move towards the edge of the centre of the 'D' as they try to pick up the lurker outside the area.

Attacking team: Have a player set on 'Lurk outside the area'. If the CPU has players set to 'Go back' but no mark, more often than not, they will try to all pick up the lurker, just as the corner comes in.

Its a useful 'feature' for reducing the traffic during corners, but I do believe it really is a bug.

I think it is a bug, and you can replicate it yourself either as the defending or the attacking team.

Defending team: Have 2 or more players on 'Go Back' but don't assign them to mark a small/tall player. As the corner comes in, a worrying amount of times they will all move towards the edge of the centre of the 'D' as they try to pick up the lurker outside the area.

Attacking team: Have a player set on 'Lurk outside the area'. If the CPU has players set to 'Go back' but no mark, more often than not, they will try to all pick up the lurker, just as the corner comes in.

Its a useful 'feature' for reducing the traffic during corners, but I do believe it really is a bug.

Something is definitely off with this, as I never saw this happen in FM10/11 ... but as I haven't played FM12 much and only seen it once, I thought it a fluke. Maybe 'Go Back' depends too much on the Decisions, Marking, Positioning attributes, and youngsters with low scores end up in the same place, as they all make the same decision?? ... though I doubt this would ever happen in RL, except maybe with the utmost talentless 6-year olds. No players would ever bunch up at the edge of the box like that, with the opposition having three unmarked players in the box. At least the 4 guys would bunch up in the box itself.

I've seen it a bunch of times too, because I also use the default set piece. Of course I could alter something to prevent it, but then I realize that although I'll fix this flaw in my team's set piece, something else will break. I hope SI will overhaul the set piece, because while the team and individual instructions are very detailed, the set piece creator and instructions are incredibly simplistic.

Archived