Playing offline

My internet connection unexpectedly went down this afternoon for 3 or 4 hours, so I thought I'd try to use FM2012 in steam offline mode.

When I ran FM2012, steam reported it couldn't login(which I expected as I had no internet) and it gave me the option to go offline, but when I clicked the option to launch offline nothing happened.

There were two dialogs shown in the background one of which said something like "can't perform this operation in offline mode" and one said something else I can't recall. Not sure if these error dialogs were as a result of trying to go offline or whether they were as a result of attempting to originally start steam with no internet connection.

Anyway, I tried everything I could, but couldn't launch FM2012 while I had no internet connection. It also seems steam's help is all online, which is useful when your internet connection goes

My question is, if steam is running in online mode and my connection goes down unexpectedly again, is there any sure-fire way to launch FM2012? Can it be launched outside of steam? Do I need to always run steam in offline mode in order to run FM if my internet goes?

Had a similar problem recently myself. I hadn't logged into Steam because my internet connection was down, but when I tried to launch FM12 nothing was happening. In fact it wasn't even showing up in my list of games through Steam in my start menu. Clicking offline mode just kept giving me 'cannot perform this operation in offline mode' or something to that effect. Couldn't launch it via a desktop shortcut or anything, either.

I have same problem now and don't have Internet available at the moment so does that mean I can't play FM until I get my laptop back online? Absolutely ridiculous if so. Terrible service. I bought this game. Validated it online as I was supposed to and now I can't play the game I bought. Joke

Giggsidan, sounds like you got further than I did. I couldn't even get the steam client to launch, it always came up with those error dialogs and wouldn't start at all in offline mode.

If the only solution is to run in offline mode all the time, I can do that, but I was kinda hoping for some better workaround.

This is so stupid becouse few year back you could go in offline mode if you didn´t have internet connection but it has changed so you have be online and go to offline mode. then if your internet goes you can play in offline mode

Hello,

I believe you need to do this;

- Go to the Steam menu, settings, and check the account tab. Make sure you don't have the "don't save account credentials on this computer" checked as this will log you out when you shut down.

- If that's unticked, you should then be able to log out of Steam, and start if the Internet is offline. Or, alternatively, just run Steam in offline mode and play that way.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Matt

Unhelpful reply from Matt. He's already explained that the internet is down, so therefore can't play something he has paid good money for.

I have a similar issue where, here in Beirut, the internet is so painfully slow, and so I can't launch Steam to be able to put it in offline mode. So I'm left twiddling my thumbs.

I understand why Sega are championing Steam (to combat privacy), but you are also creating unecessary issues for the staunch faithful.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm just frustrated.

I just created a new account. Can some please tell me where the steam menu is? do they deliberately try to hide it. Is the steam menu online or that thing I downloaded that I need to install (which wont install anyway as it keeps telling me I have no internet connection)?

This is way too complex. Wish they would make it slightly easier. Create an account online then download something. Whats that all about. Grrrr!

I just created a new account. Can some please tell me where the steam menu is? do they deliberately try to hide it. Is the steam menu online or that thing I downloaded that I need to install (which wont install anyway as it keeps telling me I have no internet connection)?

This is way too complex. Wish they would make it slightly easier. Create an account online then download something. Whats that all about. Grrrr!

Sorry - I don't really understand the problem from what you've said. Can you give us a bit more detail in a diff thread about what you're struggling to get done?

Unhelpful reply from Matt. He's already explained that the internet is down, so therefore can't play something he has paid good money for.

I have a similar issue where, here in Beirut, the internet is so painfully slow, and so I can't launch Steam to be able to put it in offline mode. So I'm left twiddling my thumbs.

I understand why Sega are championing Steam (to combat privacy), but you are also creating unecessary issues for the staunch faithful.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm just frustrated.

In fairness, he said it went down - past tense - implying it was back - but he was frustrated at the time, understandably. We're just here to try and help if people have some tech issues - it's not working as smoothly as we'd have liked but all we can do is try and fix that.

I've told him how to avoid that issue arising again - ergo, he's now in a better place, I hope!

Cheers - and as there's no need for another Steam discussion, this is closed.

Archived