Youth players only,anyone sucessful?

i've read career updates about people trying to get a youth team only to win the champions,

and while some seem to be making progress nobody seems to have made it,

but my question is has anyone ever got a really competetive team with youth players only? let's say competetive enough to fight for leagues like the Eredivise,Zon Sagres etc... ?

I've won Zon Sagres and Champions with a team with an average of 23 years old, not really youth youth but not bad, luisão and cardozo from benfica were the oldest on the squad, as far as champions goes it can be quite hard, i've won the final against barcelona on penaltys, as long as you play a tactic that relies more on team play than single key positions the performance shouldn't drop much as long as the youngsters know how to pass a ball, if you rely on key positions just make sure you get some really good youth there.

Yes it can be quite hard, i usually scout for players less than 20 years old and sign those that look alright or are recommended by a 20/20 scout, then depending on their age i send 'em on loan or playing on reserves till they at least 19,20 years old by that age if i don't see anything that catches the eye i just give up on 'em and start again Lol

With the quality of regens coming through my academy I'm lucky if i even get 1 decent player lol. I have to buy all my young prospects! Would be a mental achievement if somebody has actually won a trophy with only players that got promoted through their own academy!!!

I've done this. I was Southport on fm09. Took around 60 game years but eventually I had a team full of youth products, hadn't signed anyone for over 12 years. After years of trying I finally won the premiership. Took me a while but it paid off. Never did too well in Europe though, the furthest I got was the semi-finals of the Champions League where I lost to Ajax. I had screen shots on my old lappy but unfortunately it died.

Winning the Champions League with only youth academy regens would be near on impossible, but yet not quite impossible. Having played the 'Give Youth a Chance' challenge a couple of times now with various sides, you'd be surprised at the sort of team you can assemble with only academy graduates. A lot of the time, the potential star rating the coaching staff will give the new youth players is undershot, and with a bit of tutoring and plenty of opportunity, they can go on to be better than initially expected. The troubles you might run into though is that you have to be adaptable with tactics. If you like to play with a big target man striker, sometimes you'll have to wait years and years for a decent one to come through, and even if they're good in the air, they might lack strength, so they won't work well at hold up the ball. And you can guarantee you'll always have problem positions, most commonly at left back, and most annoyingly at goalkeeper.

However as I said it's not impossible. You'd need a hell of a lot of luck in terms of getting a good side together, and then again of Champions League draw, and the individual matches in the competition.

Archived