These Things Take Time – FM12 Journeyman Career

ShyBaldBuddhist

These Things Take Time – FM12 Journeyman Career

I’ve been following a few threads in the forum and thought I’d try my hand too. Going to be bobbing around Europe for the main part but may add some South American leagues later on, if my manager rep becomes good enough. I’ve selected a variety of leagues, too many to mention but includes: Denmark, Greece, Iceland, Israel, Poland, Serbia as well as the major leagues. Game will be using fake players as scouting out hidden gems is my favourite part of the game.

My manager ID is a former Sunday league German/Italian footballer by the name of Simone Finke. I was going to start unemployed but decided in the end to let the game chose my club. It took a few clicks to get a realistic starting place but I finally found myself off to Belgium starting with La Louviere Centre in 3rd Division A.

La Louviere Centre

urllc.jpg

Founded 1922

Nickname Les Pierrots

Ground Tivoli

Capacity 9900 (5592 seated)

Starting Squad

squad.jpg

Summary

Looks quite a good place to start, strikers in particular look very good for this level. Think Charles playing as poacher could score quite a few, Daniel looks quite a promising AM and the keeper looks strong. Bit short on CB and no CM to speak of so will probably be playing 2 DM’s in 4231 formation. The main thing of concern is the fact we are an amateur team so holding on to decent players could prove a struggle and we don’t have much in reserve. Expectations are for mid table finish so not too much pressure. Not concerned one bit about the cup and will be fielding reserves. Being amateur means 2 games a week is a bit of a struggle.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made a few signings, noticable ones being:

Hans Vermeylen Looks like could make an impact at this level. Great passing and crossing ability but not much in the creativity department. Shame he got injured for 5 weeks as soon as he signed.

Gioacchino Petit Proper team player. 20 for workrate and teamwork, great tackler and stamina. Hoping he can shore up my defence.

Bernard Gobert Hoping he can slot into the AM role but has the benefit of being a bit of a utility player. Going to come in useful as only permitted 4 subs.

Unfortunately lost Charles and Daniel within a couple of weeks of joining and as typing this my keeper has signed for someone else. Being amateur doesn't leave you many options, all I could do was improve squad status but that wasn't enough. Back to the market for a keeper....

Thanks for the support guys. Not had a bad start, currently sitting 6th but only 4 points off the top. Had a bit of a false dawn by winning my 1st cup game 6-0, since then conceded too many. Altered a couple of things recently, kept a couple of clean sheets and last result was a very good 3-0 win. Not having much luck with injuries at the moment though. Just hoping Lukaku stays fit. His goals are the only thing keeping me near the top at the moment.

Period 1 Update

table.png

fixtures.png

Bit of a strange set up in Belgium. The league is split into three periods. The winner of each period is guaranteed a play off spot regardless of finishing position overall. There is no set number of games for each period, league rules just says 10-12 games per period (I think I have understood all the splits correct anyway, if I'm wrong please let me know). As Bleid are showing as secured play off spot I presume this 1st period is over. Bit up and down so far and don't really know how good the team is. I beat teams the bookies give me no chance against and get turned over by teams I should be beating. Conceding way to many and may need to reshape formation again. Overall though quite happy with 5th at the moment.

On the player front: Lukaku is on fire, Vermeylen needs to pull his finger out, I need Gobert to get back from injury and I need a commanding CB to sort the rest of the defence out.

@deltablue. Yeah think we are improving too so have high hopes we can sneak in towards end of the season.

Just a quick update with World players of the year. As playing with fake players thought a few people may be interested, be a while before I sign anyone of this calibre.

Winner: Cesar Acosta - basically the regen Messi by the looks of it.

2nd: Inaki - think this one is Fabregas.

3rd: James Leigh - aka Frank Lampard.

Bit disappointed the fake players feature hasn't improved over the years. Be a lot better if they were newgens rather than regens

One of the reasons I never bother with the fake players is because it seems like you can normally work out the real world player that the fake player was based on. Kind of defeats the point in my mind! If the game created all new players that were just the right caliber to play for the teams they're at, that would be much better.

Looking forward to seeing how this one goes! Always enjoy a good multi-national journeyman style save. :thup:

One of the reasons I never bother with the fake players is because it seems like you can normally work out the real world player that the fake player was based on. Kind of defeats the point in my mind! If the game created all new players that were just the right caliber to play for the teams they're at, that would be much better.

Looking forward to seeing how this one goes! Always enjoy a good multi-national journeyman style save. :thup:

If I was starting in one of the top leagues I wouldn't have used fake players. As you say it is too easy to spot who they are regens of. As I am playing in lower leagues I didn't to be influenced by other threads and who people have signed. Using the fake players means I need to go scouting around at this level which I like doing.

Its true about the regens, but then again, they (as in fake players' games) do have some crazy 15-16-17 newgens with bags of ability!

That's true enough. Get some brilliant youngsters coming through

Period 2 Update

period2.jpg

fixtures.png

Second period is all ready over with Tournai running away with it. Still 2 games of the period to go but with 100% record no one is catching them. Hardly suprising as they are the only semi-pro team in the league. It's becoming quite frustrating being an amateur club. All my best players are being snapped up by other teams. Only the start of January and already lost my 1st choice wingers and AM has signed precontract with another team to join in the summer. Lots of other players shown as wanted too so could be a bad transfer window for me.

Overall League still just outside the play offs but only 2 points off 2nd spot. No chance of winning the league but think we can make the play offs. If we do make I think we'll go up. All my better performances appear to come against the better sides.

2011-2012 Season Review

urllc.jpg

LeagueResultsSquad

Summary

Absolutely gutted in the end. Was riding high for a long time and then two months where I couldn’t buy a win. Nothing was working and I’m quite certain it was down to both my first choice wingers being snapped up by other clubs. Finally get two wins in final two games to put me into 4th spot, which should be a play off spot. Then, due to the way the league works with the periods system, I find 7th place Bleid take my place. The squad overall is quite good and if I could keep them I think we could get promoted next season. The fact is though my best youngster, and divisional young player of the year, has already signed for a new club. Also appear to be losing first choice left back and back up AM. It’s very hard to take when you don’t get any money in for them.

Seasonal Best XI

Fans Player of The Year

Managers Player of The Year

I’ve decided I’m going to nominate my player of the year each season. The fans are a fickle bunch and always appear to select the star name or top scorer. Whilst they were right to choose Lukaku as he was the lynch pin, I felt Bombele was the unsung hero. He only missed 4 games all season, 3 of which were for suspension.

Going Forward

For the next year I’m in two minds about staying at the moment. Whilst the contract offer is tempting:

contract.png

I’m not sure I am cut out for amateur clubs. I like to discover hidden gems, build a team around them and hopefully get a couple of promotions. With the amateur status it’s not possible to build a squad as they can all bugger off at any moment. It’s the season reset stage so might see what jobs are on offer before signing.

Other News

Euro 2012 GroupsKnockout Stages

Good showing by Ireland and Sweden. France had tough run and look like they deserved to win it.

Man Utd won the Premier league. Barca walked La Liga. Juventus won Serie A. Bit of a surprise in Germany where Shalke won the league (Bayern finished 5th). Barca beat Man City 2-0 in Champions league final.

So had a think about it and in the end decided my future lay somewhere else. So:

resign.png

Quite a few jobs going in lower leagues of Italy, Denmark, Spain and Romania. Applied for a few but kept getting knocked back. In the end started getting a bit of interest in Portugal.

Marinhense took me for a mug.

laugh.png

flat.png

job1.png

I decided I wasn't being taken for a mug and rejected their offer and took the second jod offered that day.

Got a bit unlucky to miss out on the play-offs and possible promotion there.

Nice move to Portugal though, looking forward to some Big Sam style football with Diogo up top!

And a real nice contract offer from your former club, not quite sure how you resisted that offer :D

Got a bit unlucky to miss out on the play-offs and possible promotion there.

Nice move to Portugal though, looking forward to some Big Sam style football with Diogo up top!

And a real nice contract offer from your former club, not quite sure how you resisted that offer :D

Big Sam is definately my inspiration this year :D played a couple of friendlies and he is looking pretty good. Not scoring too many but hold up play and flick ons are causing a lot of problems. It won't be pretty but I have high hopes this year

Mid-Season Update

league.jpg

fix.png

Things going well so far. Direct approach is really working wonders. Diogo is on fire with Simoes working wonders on the left wing. Simoes has me questioning my assmans ability to spot a player. Only rates him as one star but has all the qualities for a decent winger as evidenced by his 12 assists. Six points off the top at half way stage isn't too shabby. Not sure I'll be able to claw it back so looks like a season for building the squad. I'm a lot happier than in Belgium and have some decent youngsters at the club so the future looks pretty good.

World Player Of The Year

1st - Victor Hugo

2nd - Facundo Segovia

3rd - Juan Carlos Navarro

3_0.jpg

Season is definitely over now. Managed to renew a few contracts, importantly Diogo. Few clubs were sniffing around, even had cheeky offer of £7. He's currently scored 27 goals in 24 games and they offer £7k!!

Youth candidates have come through and looks like I'll be hitting the transfer market for a few more years yet. No talent at all in this bunch

youth.jpg

2012-2013 Season Review

vianense.gif

League - Results

Summary

Overall a very good season. Media prediction was 14th and board just wanted me to avoid relegation so 3rd is a result. We never stood a chance of promotion as Chaves as Varzim are just too strong. Got to face Chaves again next year as they lost out on the play-offs so don't think I'm getting promoted next season either. Some very good players in the squad and with a couple of additions I think we can push them a bit closer.

Seasonal Best XI

Fans Player of The Year

Diogo is abviously the player of the season and had a great year. Simoes was pivotal in him getting most of the goals though and why I have selected him. Unfortunately I couldn't get him to sign a new contract so need to go scouting for a new winger.

Going Forward

Not even a thought about moving on. Got some good young players along with some experienced heads. Hope we can close the gap on the top 2 this year. Could do with a decent cup run as finances are really bad, £200k in debt at the moment. I don't want to risk losing decent players to finance the debt so will be going all out in the cup. Hope to bring in some new wingers, a striker and full backs. I have let a few players go as they were on high wages as reserves and can get better youth prospects for a lot less.

Other News

Chelsea won the Premier league. Barca walked La Liga again. Milan won Serie A. Wolfsburg won the league. Man Utd beat Barca 3-1 in final of the Champions league.

Transfers - Squad

Happy with how the squad is coming along. Got rid of a lot of reserves on high wages so help the finances. Happy with my signings but a couple more got away I think would have improved us a lot.

Patrick de Groot Brought in as new 1st choice left winger but could possibly do a job as target man if Diogo gets injured.

Ricardo Barros New strike partner for Diogo, had a great pre-season with 9 in 9.

Rui Pisco Back up winger. Can play either side and only he's only 20 so hopefully will improve enough to become 1st choice.

Rui Correia Will probably end up playing RB rather than LB. Good long throw too and I may have to implement it into my set pieces.

Only position I'm not sure about at the moment is GK. Paulo Cerqueira did a great job last year. Brought in Pedro Machado as player/GK coach as didnt have a GK coach or decent back up but I think he could be good enough to be number 1.

Good season, great year for Diogo aswell! Hopefully you can keep hold of him. Barros looks a nice partner for him aswell.

No bids in the end so managed to hold on. Barros took a while to get going but it's becoming a good partnership. Team is performing a lot better so far. Nearly at the half way stage and got 3 players in double figures for goals and more of players with decent amount of assists. Much prefer it when the goals and assists are shared around.

Mid-Season Update

league.jpg

fixtures.png

Couldn't have asked for a better first half of the season. Apart from the 5-0 hammering at the hands of Espinho we have performed in every game. Great 3-1 away win at Chaves shows the progress the team has made this term. Diogo is at almost a goal a game again and has been helped by Barros and de Groot getting into double figures. Been really impressed with de Groot as he has been setting them up as well as scoring. Sandro is another one to step up this year. He already has 12 assists compared to his 13 for the whole of last year. Special mention to Simao who has been a rock at the back and also added a couple of goals. Some bigger teams are watching and may not be long before some bids arrive. Hoping we can keep everyone during the transfer window and try and secure top spot. Won't be easy to get the promotion but if we can make the defence a bit tighter I think we can do it.

World Player of The Year

1st - Cesar Acosta

2nd - Victor Hugo

3rd - Andy Stephenson

2013-2014 Season Review

vianense.gif

League - Results - Squad

Summary

Obviously a good season to finish second but I feel robbed. I was flying for a while but couldn't shake of Varzim who always managed to match my results. Then injuries to all my key players took hold. Diogo, de Groot, Simao and F.Barros were all out for a couple of weeks. This meant 1 point against Espinho and Ribeirao when I was especting 6. Got them back for a few weeks and results improved but then collapsed with 2 defeats in last 3 games. I was very happy with the way all players were contributing this term, 4 players got double figures for goals and 4 in double figures for assists too. Checked out Varzim's squad and is no suprise they managed to win the league. They have players capable of playing at much higher level and are paying 4x more wages than we can offer. If we can improve again in the coming year we have to be able to top the league this coming season.

Seasonal Best XI

Fans Player of The Year

Patrick de Groot was the fans choice this year which suprised me. Diogo had become such a fans favourite I thought he was a shoe in, especially with antoher 26 goals to his name. For my choice it was between Sandro and Simao. I went for Simao in the end as he was probably the only defender that performed all season.

Going Forward

I have already signed a new one year contract. If no promotion though I think I may move on next year. Thinks are going to be a lot harder for a couple of reasons. Board reduced my wage budget by £600 p/w, no suprise with the debt we are in, and Diogo came knocking at my door saying her wants to move to a bigger club. I couldn't get him to stay and only managed to get £120k with 20% sell on for him. Losing Diogo means we will have to change system as the tactic was all about lumping it up to him and building from there. Hopefully a new tactic means we become better defensively. My plan this year is to try and get a few decent loan signings in. I have a couple of top flight parent clubs but they do not like helping me out. They keep asking for me to pay some of the wages which I can't afford to be doing.

Other News

World Cup Groups A-D - World Cup Groups E-H - Knockout Stages

Great run by Uruguay beating all the top nations to lift the trophy. Not such a good showing by England.

Man Utd won the Premier League. Wolfsburg won Bundesliga. Roma won Serie A. Real Madrid won La Liga. Barca edged out Man Utd 3-2 aet in Champions League.

Unlucky on the injuries and gutted to see Diogo go :(

Good luck on getting that promotion next year!

Cheers. Not too happy about Diogo either. To cap it all every monthly review so far has the fans saying it was bad business to sell him. Should be option to tell them to take it up with the player as he's the one that wanted out.

Archived