Non-Football Costs?

I'm 4 seasons into my Tottenham save and I make a loss each month, so I looked and the 2nd highest expenditure I have(after player wages) is 'Non-Football Costs'. If you put the mouse cursor on it, it says "Amount of Non-Football staff wages paid out by the club". I just find this quite stupid, I mean look at these values from my 3rd season.

Player Wages - £65,788,654

Non-Football Costs - £29,270,619

Staff Wages - £5,559,875

How on earth can I be paying nearly £30M a year to staff that aren't connected with football?

I remember reading about this in the past and I'm sure someone said it could be stupid things like electric bills as not alot of it would be footballing costs. I know it sounds a little stupid but would make it a bit more realistic to have an estimated bill due to 2 things. 1, It's something owners have to take into account when running a club and 2, most bills are estimated anyway so it sounds VERY realistic to me lol

IRL Spurs have been caught hiring spies to report on West Ham's bid for the Olympic stadium, and they've paid millions to consultants for their bid.

More generally, the old 'expenditure' query comes up quite often:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/286633-What-is-the-quot-other-quot-source-of-income

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/285009-Matchday-Expenses.

My non-football costs started at £6m in the first season with Norwich, by season 8, when I had made them one of the best teams in the world, winning numerous leagues and Champions Leagues, they had reached £40m per year! It's strange how they go up so rapidly...I can't see how they can be that high, it's a shame we aren't given more information as to exactly where this money is going, it's too vague, and the same goes for Matchday Expenses, Ground Maintenance and 'Other' costs, which all seem very high.

I'd also love to understand where all the money is going. Playing with Liverpool I'm winning consistently and my finances are increasing, but that's mainly through player sales - I can't stop losing money each week, even though I'm miles under the wage budget.

How do you make a club profitable? Am I going to have to wait till the stadium increases further, or will that just end up incurring further "non-football costs"?

Very few clubs (in FM, as in real life) are profitable on an operating level.

You either have to be one of the enormous clubs, i.e. a Real Madrid who can arrange individual TV rights for vast sums more than the competition, and make a killing through merchandise/sponsorship. OR, you have to be a small club who has a large fan base but low wage/operating costs - think Granada, Wolves (who actually are an extremely well run club - they have no nett debt, have cash in the bank, a healthy turnover, and so far have refused to allow their wages to balloon, though they appear to have relaxed their wage structure a bit recently).

And you're right, alot of clubs use developing and selling players to make up the losses in their operational side of things - think Udinese, Lyon, Porto.

Still... I don't think the financial model is accurate enough... finances make or break football clubs in real life. You can have fantastic players but if the finances are from another planet it will all go pear shaped sooner rather than later. Without a benefactor, Everton are going to spiral in the next few seasons, their business model is completely unsustainable and built on debt - a problem now that the banks won't lend anymore to them.

• 3 years later...
So my non-soccer costs are 30mil, staff costs are 4mil, player costs are 30mil. What are non-soccer costs and why are they so high? Using latest update.

There is a tooltip that tells you what it covers, it's the wage costs of non-football staff.

Gamewise it's basically linked to your reputation, the higher your reputation the bigger the club hence the more non-football staff the club has hence the higher expenses.

Archived