Making money with a small club

I'm really enjoying my current save with Nizhniy Novgorod in Russia, currently 9th halfway through the Premier Division season after promotion in my first season.

However, I've not had a penny to spend and we're leaking cash monthly (between 300-600k) and only have a 3,000 capacity stadium (moving to a new 9,000 capacity stadium in the summer) and we don't get much in TV Revenue/Sponsorship.

How can I increase our income? even the new ground won't make much difference. I'm within the wage budget but we're still piddling money away. I'll never get us competing if this continues...

Is there any way other than selling my best players and youngsters?

Arrange friendlies with bigger teams is a good way to make money. Even if its against the reserve teams its worth it.

A quick way of making money at this is to arrange pre-season leagues with REALLY well supported clubs. I used to have pre-season tournaments with at least one of the 'Big 4' in England, Real or Barca, a big Italian team or another well known club. You might only get 2-3000 for your own game, but if the other teams are well supported you can rake in millions. I took in 2.5million in a friendly league as Aberdeen with Man Utd, Liverpool and AC Milan in it. Costs money to bring the teams to the tournament, but you make a fortune.

It doesn't always work now the friendlies thing. Sometimes the bigger clubs will reject it as it isn't worthwhile for them. I also think it takes into consideration travelling costs now.

You'll find, no matter what nation you're in, most lower league clubs lose significant amounts of money and the best thing to do is to always look at selling a player if the fee is good.

With small, ambitious clubs you have to gamble on taking on the debt in the hope that you can recover it further down the line (when you get into Europe). Along the way you are likely to have sell a few star players to keep the club going, especially if it takes a long time to get into Europe.

Archived