• It is NOT own goal by goalkeeper
    • Not bothered

Scenario -

- Scoring team direct ball toward opposition goal

- Goal keeper dives but misses ball

- Ball strikes post and rebounds out and hits keeper

- Ball bounces of keeper into goal

FM counts this as an own goal, do you agree? Any views

Its clearly an own goal, without the keepers intervention, there would be no goal. I dont see how anyone can state its not an OG.

FM gets it wrong when a player is on the line and a shot is going in but deflects of him, IRL it would be an attackers goal. Shots like that should only be an OG if they were going wide or the keeper was going to save it.

In this case it's an own goal, but there are scenarios where an OG is not an OG, which I find quite frustrating as my players don't get the credit they deserve.

However, I had a bizarre own goal go in my favour where my winger drilled in a low cross, it struck the opposition's centre-back's foot and was heading into the goal where it squirmed under the opposition goalkeeper, but not before the managed to get an arm to it. It was credited as an OG for the goalkeeper, but I see that as an OG for the centre-back, with the goalkeeper 'doing his job' by attempting to get a hand to it,

The OP's example has to be OG in real life and in the game. Simply, if the ball was on target and would have been a goal if it wasn't touched by an opposing player, it's not an own goal. If it was not on target before the touch or deflection (e.g. England's goal against Sweden on Saturday) it is an own goal.

What would be worth a poll is the number of own goals in FM12. I seem to have one every other game (thankfully 90% are in my favour). Most of them, it appears to me, were shots on target and touched an opposing player on the way in. It's these examples that should not be recorded as own goals.

In this case it is definately an own goal by the goalkeeper, you feel sorry for him as he couldn't really do anything but it is an own goal. Like phnompenhandy I do however see quite a few goals given as own goals when I very much doubt it would be in real life, examples including:

- Defender racing back to make a clearence gets a leg to the ball but can't stop it going in, not an own goal as it was going in anyways but in FM it credits the defender.

- Deflected shots seem to usually be credited to the defender, regardless of whether the original shot was going in or even if the deflection made much difference.

- Goalkeeper tries to take a ball out the air or stop a powerful shot and the ball goes through the hands, poor goalkeeping but not an own-goal.

How about these examples:

Player shoots from 8 yards or so, slightly to the side of the GK. GK gets his paws on it, but can only push it away a bit, and it continues into the net. Own goal or not?

Striker is out at an angle with a lone defender between him and the GK+net. Striker shoots, the ball touches the defender ever so sligthly, but doesn't alter its trajectory noticably, and it ends up in the net. Own goal or not?

Clearly an own goal, hitting the post is classed as off target and any shot off target shot which comes off the defending team is classed as an own goal, ala Englands goal vs Sweden.

It's not "FM" that classes it as an own goal but the rules of football.

Scenario -

- Scoring team direct ball toward opposition goal

- Goal keeper dives but misses ball

- Ball strikes post and rebounds out and hits keeper

- Ball bounces of keeper into goal

FM counts this as an own goal, do you agree? Any views

An own goal is a goal scored only because a defender touched it in some way. To simply, if the goal would have been scored had there been no one else on the pitch, then it is a goal even in there is a massive a deflection. In however the ball would only have gone in because it hit a defender, then it is, by definition, an own goal.

As such the scenario you've posted must be considered an own goal as it would never have gone in without hitting the keeper.

The game now can't differentiate a shot on target, which means if it hits the keeper and goes in, its not an own goal.

right now its like as long as it hits the keeper its an o.g. which is wrong.

Uh... I've seen shots hit the keeper and be ruled a goal...

...simply put, you're wrong about that one. It seems the game has it right.

Archived