My assistant manager has an unhealthy love for our supporters

Before nearly every game, he recommends that we tell the lads to do it for the supporters. Yet choosing that option almost never results in any emotion, positive or negative, from the team. I've started ignoring him - which is fine, I'm more than capable of choosing my own utterly ineffective teamtalks.

The question is though, what is it that my assistant is trying to tell me? Does he think my team of young millionaires don't care about the hard-working loyal supporters who pay a large percentage of their take-home pay to come and watch them throw away yet another win in stoppage time? Are SI making a statement about the state of the modern game here, by casting my assistant manager as one of the last of a dying breed of idealists who actually, you know, care about the massed thousands in the stands?

I usually go with the 'for the fans' options for most matches as there's no possible way that it could have a negative effect on the players.

Manager: I want you lot to go out there and win it for the fans!

1st team squad member: How dare he....who does the manager think he is. I think I might score an own goal today....

I doubt you'd ever get a response like that from a player.

I usually go with the 'for the fans' options for most matches as there's no possible way that it could have a negative effect on the players.

Manager: I want you lot to go out there and win it for the fans!

1st team squad member: How dare he....who does the manager think he is. I think I might score an own goal today....

I doubt you'd ever get a response like that from a player.

(Just for argument's sake) Maybe you could have a situation where the fans turn on a player (Milan fans x Gilardino, when he was playing for them), so he's upset by them, then telling him to do it for the fans may actually affect him negatively. Obviously a bit far fetched, but you never know. (Of course, I don't expect this to be in the game.)

Archived