Do Man City ever get poorer / broke?

I am on season 3 and Man City are still spending £60 plus million.

In real life, City's funds will eventually dry up when Shiek Mustafarecugf decides he wants a new challenge, will this ever happen in FM? I'm afraid if it doesn't the game is going to be a little impossible. City will just win the league every season for eternity.

I would assume with City's situation, it won't change very much even when the chairmen change, because by that time they will typically have such a structure and squad of dominance, that they will be up there most of the time anyway.

There's a thread somewhere here about somebody who has done a holiday session into 500+ seasons in the future, and most of the top clubs are still there or thereabouts.

As Forest mentioned though, Chairmen do change depending on circumstances and over time, so i guess each game will be different depending who it is that replaces them, when they replace them, and the situation at the club at that time!

I would imagine Man City could be taken over in the game at some point just like any other club.

As for them winning the league every season, they have been 3rd and 4th in my 2 seasons so far. I'm not managing in England and the AI is capable of beating them as they lost 13 games in the first season. As in real life money doesn't guarantee success, although it does make it easier!

Using my save as one example Manchester City are still meaga rich ans spending. Here is a list of seasons spending and final league placing:

2011/12 - 33m = 2nd

2012/13 - 97m = 4th

2013/14 - 31.5m = 2nd

2014/15 - 83m = 2nd

2015/16 - 35m = 4th

2016/17 - 4.4m = 4th

2017/18 - 53m = 2nd

2018/19 - 8.5m = 3rd

2019/20 - 23.5m = 6th

2020/21 - 2.5m = 1st

2021/22 - 68m = 3rd

2022/23 - 43m = 2nd.

I know its different for everyone but Man City are a good good team but one title for that amount of money is not great. Although interesting that the year they buy only one player and spend very little is the year they claim the title. Maybe thats a clue for everyone else....

I have just had a check of the Premier League teams financial status and as of Nov 2023 Chelsea are down in 18th and described as okay despite still having the same chairman. They have only spent a combined £42m in last 4 seasons and £16m of that was on one player. So it would seem that chairmen can/do tighten their belts. Just out of interest in the English leagues only 6 teams are classed as rich:

Premier League

Man Utd

Man City

Arsenal

Liverpool

Aston Villa (recent tycoon takeover)

Championship

Watord.

Using my save as one example Manchester City are still meaga rich ans spending. Here is a list of seasons spending and final league placing:

2011/12 - 33m = 2nd

2012/13 - 97m = 4th

2013/14 - 31.5m = 2nd

2014/15 - 83m = 2nd

2015/16 - 35m = 4th

2016/17 - 4.4m = 4th

2017/18 - 53m = 2nd

2018/19 - 8.5m = 3rd

2019/20 - 23.5m = 6th

2020/21 - 2.5m = 1st

2021/22 - 68m = 3rd

2022/23 - 43m = 2nd.

I know its different for everyone but Man City are a good good team but one title for that amount of money is not great. Although interesting that the year they buy only one player and spend very little is the year they claim the title. Maybe thats a clue for everyone else....

funny how they won their first title after 3 years of relatively low spend, and then the season after spent one of the most of their lives and finished 3rd

funny how they won their first title after 3 years of relatively low spend, and then the season after spent one of the most of their lives and finished 3rd

Exactly my thought. Looking forward to next season as all the top teams minus Chelsea are spending high, Aston Villa have just been taken over and have already bid £25m for one of my CM and the rumour page has about 10 signings lined up for them. Throw in Championship side Watford who are top and spent £17m in the summer. If they can gain promotion too there will be alot of cash flying around.

Given Man City are 11th at end of November i would expect the managers job to be up soon. Interestingly enough the current ass man for City is Wayne Rooney!!

2011/12 - 33m = 2nd

2012/13 - 97m = 4th

2013/14 - 31.5m = 2nd

2014/15 - 83m = 2nd

2015/16 - 35m = 4th

2016/17 - 4.4m = 4th

2017/18 - 53m = 2nd

2018/19 - 8.5m = 3rd

2019/20 - 23.5m = 6th

2020/21 - 2.5m = 1st

2021/22 - 68m = 3rd

2022/23 - 43m = 2nd.

wat . . . . . . . .

I am on season 3 and Man City are still spending £60 plus million.

In real life, City's funds will eventually dry up when Shiek Mustafarecugf decides he wants a new challenge, will this ever happen in FM? I'm afraid if it doesn't the game is going to be a little impossible. City will just win the league every season for eternity.

Its hard to "know" how the game is coded but I imagine it is true to the popular educated belief about the top clubs.

City = As this project is a loss-leader in the western world for the backers money will never dry up, the backer will not move on but FFP may mean less investment is possible from outside. Also City are building a self supporting model it will just take a few years to fully develop.

Utd=In debt now but it looks like they are improving that from recent accounts. But if they are no longer winning the Prem they must finish top 4 or they will be in trouble except of course for their worldwide fan-market which seems to support them through any drama. The thing with Utd is one day a huge backer could come and make them again the richest club in England - but it could be too late due to FFP.

Chelsea=who knows what the future holds, could go either way

Arsenal=Perfectly set up now with FFP to be City's biggest rival

The rest=depends on so many factors.

Archived