Why is Marek Hamsik missing so many penalties?

So Marek Hamsik has now missed 3 out of 3 penalties for me this season, yet he's converted the only one he's had for his national team.

Looking at his stats, he has very good attributes for a penalty taker:

Penalty Taking: 16

Composure: 19

Finishing: 15

Decisions: 18

6yzc41.png

This, for me, is one of the big issues with Football Manager. There is no information coming from the game as to why he's suddenly started missing them. His morale is always either Very Good or Superb, he's playing in a winning team and the keepers he's facing are nowhere near world class. None of my coaches have suggested I take him off penalties, and he scored 2 out of 2 in the previous season.

I would really like to know why he's suddenly started missing them. The conspiracy theorist in me would imagine that it's because he's taking them against weaker teams, where I'm having a whole bunch of chances during the match and the ME is making sure the CCC conversion rate isn't high to avoid massive scorelines.

But I'm sure there's a more reasonable explanation.

Personality is Fairly Ambitious. I don't think it's a mental thing because he converted all his penalties in the previous season, and he's scored one out of one for Slovakia.

Pressure...

and actually it's fairly accurate methinks...

Hamsik has missed 5 penalties (out of 8) over the last three and a half seasons in Serie A...

In that case, why does he have such good stats for penalties?

And the problem I have is that there is no way of knowing that it's pressure which is making him miss penalties. The game doesn't give me any information as to why this is happening all of a sudden. All I see is a top class player with great stats for the job I've asked him to do, consistently failing to carry out the task. No explanation why.

It looks like the general consensus is it's just down to luck.

And the problem I have is that there is no way of knowing that it's pressure which is making him miss penalties. The game doesn't give me any information as to why this is happening all of a sudden. All I see is a top class player with great stats for the job I've asked him to do, consistently failing to carry out the task. No explanation why.

Except you arent looking at pressure/consistency. This is something ive encountered with Hamsik numerous times in FM12 and FM11, sometimes the pressure gets to him. This is where the game could be better at getting across some hidden attributes,

Except you arent looking at pressure. This is something ive encountered with Hamsik numerous times in FM12 and FM11, sometimes the pressure gets to him. This is where the game could be better at getting across some hidden attributes,

So what you're saying is that looking at the necessary attributes for penalty taking is pointless as there's a hidden stat which overrides them, or at least plays a big part in how he takes them? And on top of that, why is he feeling pressured when he's taking a penalty in a match his team are already winning, against a much smaller team?

It's like you said, the game is terrible at explaining why things happen and this is an area that really needs developing.

So what you're saying is that looking at the necessary attributes for penalty taking is pointless as there's a hidden stat which overrides them, or at least plays a big part in how he takes them? And on top of that, why is he feeling pressured when he's taking a penalty in a match his team are already winning, against a much smaller team?

It's like you said, the game is terrible at explaining why things happen and this is an area that really needs developing.

Where have i said that? What you need to understand is the attributes (shown and hidden) work with each other, its all very well being a technically good taker,( we can extend this to overall performance as well). But if you are not a consistent performer, or you succumb to pressure easily then you will often not do very well. Hamsik is neither particularly consistent, nor is he particularly good at dealing with pressure, something i have learned through using him, the game does give you some idea, but its not obvious. Wouldnt say it was terrible at it though

Well it's the usual thing about attributes being heavily subjected to mental factors...

Welcome to Football Shrink ;)

Once again, it's down to the hidden attributes being TOO HIDDEN and basically leaving you taking (poorly) educated guesses about players' personalities based on a couple of non-univocal adjectives and on mental attributes that may or may not actually be relevant...

In this case I think we can blame it on the researcher who "overlooked" Hamsik's lack of composure and generally speaking overrated his mental traits... Hamsik is a good player but his erraticness should have been reflected even in his visible attributes.

More in general, I do think we should be allowed to "find out" about or players' psychology while they're at the club... The longer they stay the clearer the picture (and the ATTRIBUTES) will be.

Just reading "Balanced" or "Resolute" is nowhere near enough, and even the experience we get via team talk feedback and private chats is clearly inadequate to assess a player's mental strengths and weaknesses.

Well it's the usual thing about attributes being heavily subjected to mental factors...

Welcome to Football Shrink ;)

Once again, it's down to the hidden attributes being TOO HIDDEN and basically leaving you taking (poorly) educated guesses about players' personalities based on a couple of non-univocal adjectives and on mental attributes that may or may not actually be relevant...

In this case I think we can blame it on the researcher who "overlooked" Hamsik's lack of composure and generally speaking overrated his mental traits... Hamsik is a good player but his erraticness should have been reflected even in his visible attributes.

More in general, I do think we should be allowed to "find out" about or players' psychology while they're at the club... The longer they stay the clearer the picture (and the ATTRIBUTES) will be.

Just reading "Balanced" or "Resolute" is nowhere near enough, and even the experience we get via team talk feedback and private chats is clearly inadequate to assess a player's mental strengths and weaknesses.

Agree with a lot of this, especially the bold.

Though in fairness i think the researcher did a pretty good job. Hamsik is overall a pretty good composed player, who can be be inconsistent, especially under pressure (as is reflected in his hidden stats) not sure he should be downgraded because he lacks consistency, after isnt that the point of the consistency attribute, though i would lower his penalty taking attribute.

The real issue is more with the hidden attribute being too hidden

The real issue is more with the hidden attribute being too hidden

Is it though?

You have personality, media handling style, match widgets, as well as scout/coach/assistant reports that comment on personality, strengths & weaknesses.

The people that put the effort in to understand their team are rewarded.

Is it though?

You have personality, media handling style, match widgets, as well as scout/coach/assistant reports that comment on personality, strengths & weaknesses.

I already knew that Hamsik isnt a good penalty taker from watching him very closely throughout FM11. But it takes serious effort im game to work out something that you probably learn quicker if you were in the shoes of a real life manager.

The personality comments are very bland, only exposing the extremes of players, and giving you very little info in between, for this that would become more obvious IRL. I dont think you should be exposed to it all immediate, but more should be revealed throughout the game as you get to know the players better. Personally i put in a lot of effort to understand my players, and you are not rewarded all that well. Certainly more than enough missing to baffle your average FMer

Is it though?

Sure, but all those things only cover well pretty extreme cases...

But when you get a player with "Resolute" personality and "Media-friendly" media type becoming complacent in matches, it's really hard to tell if it's due to your press conferece or to your team talk, to the importance of the match, to the hard tackles he has received, to the current score, to the fact he's just having a random quiet day etc...

Those are semi-good indications but still leave you guessing, while I'm moderately sure most top-level clubs do have psychologists helping managers and coaches to deal with players' psyche.

See above...

Archived