Friendly tours out now ?

Greetings Footy gamers..

Cop a load of this !

http://users.tpg.com.au/phbird//LaticsTour.jpg

SORRYYY ??..:-O

At this rate SI are running perilously close to eliminating the FUN (remember that ?) from this game.

After all aren't all the Footy Manger style games just meant to be Fantasy Footy on a computer ?

Jesus wept...

no, FIFA Manager is more of a fantasy football game, FM is more of a simulation. If your board feel that it is too far to travel for not enough gain then why would they allow it?

no, FIFA Manager is more of a fantasy football game, FM is more of a simulation. If your board feel that it is too far to travel for not enough gain then why would they allow it?

Thanks for your interest..

How come it's been okay up to now ?..that in preparing your club with pre-season friendlies you could go anywhere ?

Perhaps it's allied to the financial state of a "League One" club..I don't know...but it even knocked me back on a tour of Ireland for heaven's sake.

Getting a bit anal ?

Saying that..on another matter..I do appreciate SI's wishing me a happy birthday..didn't see that coming..;-]

I'm just worried about the future of this great game..

Cheers..

Greetings Footy gamers..

Cop a load of this !

At this rate SI are running perilously close to eliminating the FUN (remember that ?) from this game.

After all aren't all the Footy Manger style games just meant to be Fantasy Footy on a computer ?

Jesus wept...

FM is a simulation. It's not realistic to have small teams travel to different countries for friendlies. if the distance is too far they will not sanction it due to costs.

OTOH, aussieant, you changed your username! :D

FM is a simulation. It's not realistic to have small teams travel to different countries for friendlies. if the distance is too far they will not sanction it due to costs.

OTOH, aussieant, you changed your username! :D

Yes I did! I kept getting people telling me my spelling and grammar was poor, they thought because of my user name I was Australian so spoke English as my 1st language. Was easier to change it :)

Greetings Footy gamers..

Cop a load of this !

Jesus wept...

If you're a smaller rep team you won't be able to go on a tour like that due to low finances, I know this as when I was in the lower leagues in Spain (Segunda division B and Liga Adelante) I couldn't organise a friendly outside of Spain. it's just one more realistic thing. It could just be the fact that SI have removed the workaround where you could arrange a huge amount of friendlies in foreign countries to boost your finances when playing as a lesser known club.

OH sorry..here was I thinking how, over the years, FM was a fun game to play !

How deluded of me..;-/ Bollocks !

Hey..get this..there is no "realistic" !

There is only reality, and one's perception of it, and this defines how we deal with it (ie. positively or negatively).

Okay..SI want to put out a "simulation"..fine. But..in this direction the fun I've had, and the freedom, seems to be dissipating with each new edition.

Other recent horrors of note..

1.Unless there's some mistake I've made in setting up a game, I've never see such a poverty in available Free Transfers ! And what's happened to the listing of contracts which end on 30th June in the first year ?

Oh..and this cropped up, apropos of the Tours..

http://users.tpg.com.au/phbird//LaticsTour2.jpg

A tour of Northern Ireland..2 clubs accept my invitations for friendlies..but..some dodgy message about clashing fixtures comes up.

What clashing fixtures ?..The clubs accepted, and my club didn't have any..

BTW..this tour was okay-ed, but a tour of the Republic was, as previously, deemed too far.

Cue grinding of teeth that disturbed the neighbours !

I think this game is broken..how sad.

Oh well Deus Ex continues to delight.;-D

I think the friendlies system now is the best it's been. It used to be that a Blue Square Premier team could invite Barcelona B for 6 friendlies in a row, garnering 6 full houses and the resulting bundles of cash would fuel a pretty easy promotion push. Fun? Probably. Realistic? Definitely not. A game such as FM that prides itself on the accuracy portrayed in all facets of the game shouldn't have silly things in that just couldn't happen in real life.

I suspect alternative management games are available that let you choose to do unrealistic things. Although actually, maybe there aren't. Guess no-one bought those ones.

Philbaby being from Oldham I can tell you that even going to Northern Ireland would be pushing it for Oldham Athletic. The Latics don't have the money to rebuild the stand they knocked down let alone sod off on a pre season tour of NI, in fact the furthest they traveled in pre season this year was Barrow.

OH sorry..here was I thinking how, over the years, FM was a fun game to play !

How deluded of me..;-/ Bollocks !

Hey..get this..there is no "realistic" !

There is only reality, and one's perception of it, and this defines how we deal with it (ie. positively or negatively).

Okay..SI want to put out a "simulation"..fine. But..in this direction the fun I've had, and the freedom, seems to be dissipating with each new edition.

Other recent horrors of note..

1.Unless there's some mistake I've made in setting up a game, I've never see such a poverty in available Free Transfers ! And what's happened to the listing of contracts which end on 30th June in the first year ?

Oh..and this cropped up, apropos of the Tours..

http://users.tpg.com.au/phbird//LaticsTour2.jpg

A tour of Northern Ireland..2 clubs accept my invitations for friendlies..but..some dodgy message about clashing fixtures comes up.

What clashing fixtures ?..The clubs accepted, and my club didn't have any..

BTW..this tour was okay-ed, but a tour of the Republic was, as previously, deemed too far.

Cue grinding of teeth that disturbed the neighbours !

I think this game is broken..how sad.

Oh well Deus Ex continues to delight.;-D

Sorry mate. If FM isn't fun enough for you, there's always this. It's free too. :thup:

Yeah, it's fun to exploit things like these and earn boatloads of cash, but it's unrealistic and good thing SI fixed it. It was broken before, but now it's fine.

Fortunately, they still have the corner exploit so you can still have your fun.

As a Pompey supporter I quite like the idea of a bit of common sense being used with friendly tours. Rather that than going off to the USA while the club is just about managing to exist ;)

and as result missed what was the better much back home :D

For the last couple of years, Gillingham have played preseason friendlies in Calais (as well as non-league Kent sides). Given the geography of that big London thing adding an hour onto any journey we make, it's quicker and cheaper to go abroad than going to the other end of England. Great day trip.

I don't have FM12, but hopefully it does let us hop over the Channel...

As Crawley manager I got told a tour of Wales was not allowed as it was too far away yet I was allowed to have friendly matches against Sunderland, Middlesboro and Gateshead.

Yep..Exactly what I'm on about..Hopefully a comprehensive patch( oh sorry..a software enhancement ..in MS speak.) will level this crud out big time.

Btw..the fees for friendlies are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned (like worrying about the "economy")..I usually just fish around for whoever is available that won't flog my team.

Now that freedom is denied me. (Who, managing a team in the Conference, would invite Barcelona ? Offering up your throat for cutting there ! )

SI..wake up. you're shooting yourselves in the foot. Go back to FM2010 for a template.

Remember..if something ain't broke..don't fix it !

People would invite Barcelona, play reserves or youths so the morale effect didn't matter, and make millions of pounds to get promoted. It needs improving to take geography into account as well as nations, but is is a good idea.

SI..wake up. you're shooting yourselves in the foot. Go back to FM2010 for a template.

Remember..if something ain't broke..don't fix it !

But it was broke. Maybe not in the sense that friendlies couldn't be played, but the system was easily exploitable. I believe that it's SI's duty to look for stuff like this and come up with a better system, that doesn't eliminate any fun you have. The way I see it, the game certainly isn't ruined because I have less choice with me pre-season friendly arrangements than in earlier releases. Why don't you invite the foreign side to play a home game in your own stadium, that way you can still beat them ;)

On a personal note, my home town club plays in the Austrian 4th tier and is an amateur club with ambitions (but little realistic chance) to get beyond that. Despite that, before the recent financial crisis, they had a regular training camp abroad: on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey one year and in some other beach resort in Spain another year. I believe they had to take a break from that due to the lack of sponsors in the difficult economic climate of the past few years, but it certainly shows that traveling abroad isn't impossible even for relatively small teams.

Sorry mate. If FM isn't fun enough for you, there's always this. It's free too. :thup:

Hmm..maybe not..;-/

>Yeah, it's fun to exploit things like these and earn boatloads of cash, but it's unrealistic and good thing SI fixed it. It was broken before, but now it's fine.

Nah !

So, by that reasoning.. how guilt ridden SI must be for putting out a game over the years that was.."unrealistic"..oh shucks !

>Fortunately, they still have the corner exploit so you can still have your fun.

Ooh..tell us more !

Also..the editor is handy for ..ahem..fixing things in the game.(.nudge, nudge..) I'm not bothered by the poverty stricken transfer budgets, or wages any more !! ;-D

Since its entirely possible to go into the editor and add millions to your clubs account, why the hell cant we go to Tahiti to play friendlies (as a lower level club) just for the romantic fun of it?

FM has become often tedious.

Pointless features like press conferences and team talks that are boring and easily manipulated are kept in the game.

SI are just about the only large gaming company that doesnt allow their game to be modded. Which usually makes the game far better.

This is what happens when there is no competition.

Since its entirely possible to go into the editor and add millions to your clubs account

FM has become often tedious. Pointless features like press conferences and team talks that are boring and easily manipulated are kept in the game.

Pretty much what I'm saying..the editor has given me the chance to have some transfer kitty at the start. There's no fun in going all Man City though if I'm managing a club from a lower Div. Ahem..I like to keep it..somewhat realistic.;-E), but reckon we're entitled to a fair go. Who cares what's happening in the real world at the club ?

By the way..rather than a simulation, FM has been turning into an RPG..So much was admitted a few years ago by Miles Jacobsen, I'm pretty sure. Hence all the talkie-talk opportunities added in. Apart from the one welcoming you to a club, most are a waste of time anyway. I'm sure we're not penalised if we skip them..;-!

If I was a REAL manager, that's how I'd operate..no press chats, no "unveiling"of new recruits (oo..er..),and definitely NO talking out of turn by my players(or Tweating, bleating,,whatever). Dressing room solidarity is paramount !

The slackness in world football in this matter is appalling these days.

• 1 month later...

Bringing up an old thread, as I just got the game.

On 2011 I was able to bring my lower league team overseas for friendlies to make a boatload of cash. No longer the case this year. After a bit of crankiness over this i feel it was a good idea. It wasn't realistic for my Halifax to go the Caribbean to a big money payday. Although the beach time would have been nice.

Archived