Champions Cup Final... 5 Players Away On International Duty

Playing as Aston Villa in 2015 and reached the Champions Cup Final despite starting in the group stage as 4th seeds and having to play Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man Utd and Man City on the way. Lost my 1st choice right back for the final because of suspension but wasnt worried. Got to a week before the final which is played on 30th May and 5 players get called up for international duty. There is nothing I can do as its for the 4 home nations cup (or whatever its called) and can't withdraw them. I have now got 3 centre mids and my captain centre back all missing for the final as well as my back up right back who would of started. Why would a player want to go and play in that almost meaningless competition and miss what would be the biggest game of their club career. Im sure if this was real life then the problem would be sorted. To say im furious is an under-statement.

Not in the same boat as you but in my current save i got to FA Cup final with Newcastle and was without all 4 wide men for the game through international call ups. Did me a favour really though, won 5-0.

Had it happen two years previous when at Ipswich, lost my two young attackers for both play-off semi finals. Frustrating but what can you do, beats having your keeper getting a stubbed toe 2 days before finals, as i had loads in FM11..

I wonder if they ever try to fix this sort of thing.

I've been bumping my gums about it for years, but no joy. Mainly U20/U21 intl clashes.

Usual response is "if it's a U20/U21 competitive match then you can't withdraw them".

Like every year irl teams playing Premier League and European games lose players to 'competitive' international matches?? African Nations Cup aside.

So don't hold your breath. Nobody from SI will comment.

Same thing happened to me when my young goalkeeper went to 'French Youth Invitational' giving up playing the Champions League Final vs. Barca. I cannot withdraw him and had to use my even-younger, never-played second goalkeeper, he shitted his pants by debuting in champions league final of course and we lost big.

Archived