Player not learning a new language.

I think languages have 'difficulty' ratings as well, as in how long it takes to learn that language.

On an old FM10 save, my goal was to learn as many languages as poss as an in-game manager journeyman and Italian took me way longer to learn than any other European language, so maybe that doesn't help?

Or maybe he's just a Tevez and can't be arsed? Or thick. :D

His determination is 9, but still... 5 years to learn italian, being Brazilean. Italian, Spanish and Portugues arent that different, it would be easy for him to learn it. And its been 5 years!! i dont think this is right...

Tevez probably doesnt know how to write his own name correctly... But thats not the point, Tevez in fact knows how to speak the basics of English, but thats about it. Its not russian or chinese, its Italian, and as i said, its not soooo diferent from Portuguese.

I don't think it's explicitly coded into the game, but some people are more naturally adept at learning a language, and people who want to learn will also learn well. I've learnt 2 foreign languages, and I like to think I'm good at doing so. On the other hand, other people will hate learning a language and some will struggle regardless of their attitude towards it.

I think it falls under adaptability in the game. Is versatility still an attribute in the game, or is that what adaptability replaced?

I think it falls under adaptability in the game. Is versatility still an attribute in the game, or is that what adaptability replaced?

They're both in there: adaptability relates to the ability to settle in an unfamiliar culture; versatility the ability to learn new positions.

They're both in there: adaptability relates to the ability to settle in an unfamiliar culture; versatility the ability to learn new positions.

Fair enough. Adaptability must be the attribute that should influence how fast/slow a player picks up a new language. But I guess it's not always a guarantee.

No matter his adaptability, he cant be 5 years in a country and not know how to speak the basics... Thats not real, even if he is self centered, and very introverted, he would know how to comunicate with people. Its impossible that you spend 5 years in a country and you dont know how to order a meal, or how to say attack, defence, press, or words like that, that are tied to your work

The Italian language consists of 30 phonemes in comparison with French (40) and English (44). It is by far the easiest European language to learn (technically speaking) with English being the hardest in the world only rivaled by Japanese and Chinese (42 each).

Its defo a bug, after 5 years you'd understand the basic of things within that country. If he only learnt the basics and then transffered to a different contry and lost that language, i'd understand.

Micah Richards (in FM11) has the same issue. 2 and a half years with me at AC Milan and didnt learn the language, 6 months at Lyon, BAM! French (basic)

Archived