Random "I Feel Old" Thread

Sorry if this is random and in the wrong place. Couldn't find anywhere more suitable!

Just cringed...

I just signed a new contract in my second season at Aberdeen and it referred to me as a 27 year old manager (which is my actual age) but it made me realise just how long I've been playing this series! In CM3 I used to add myself as a player and had to make 'myself' older so I was old enough to actually be a player. Now I'm so old I'd be reluctant to sign myself! Anyone else had this feeling or something similar? Or am I crazy?

When I first started playing the series Sol Campbell was shown as being able to play pretty much anywhere on the pitch and was one of the hot prospects on the game. It was a novelty to sign foreign players. Everton were a good team to manage (cheer Paul and Olly :)) and I was playing on one of the fastest machines available at the time, a 1mb Amiga. Yeah I feel old

When I first started playing the series Sol Campbell was shown as being able to play pretty much anywhere on the pitch and was one of the hot prospects on the game. It was a novelty to sign foreign players. Everton were a good team to manage (cheer Paul and Olly :)) and I was playing on one of the fastest machines available at the time, a 1mb Amiga. Yeah I feel old

Is that true?? I remember playing CM on an Amiga, and Everton did seem over-cooked!! Then the guy that introduced me to CM told me the creators of the game (the Collyer brothers) were mad Evertonians. Surely they didn't?? :D

I've been playing it so long that hot prospects I used to sign when I started out on CM are now declining players in or entering their 30's :(

I always think of the Dutch players, such as Kluivert, Seedorf and Davids who were kids. Also slightly bigger Ronaldo at PSV.

I remember bringing Gary lineker back from Japan to play for Leeds. Yes i am old

i could never get him to sign for me!

Funnily enough I was testing out my old Amiga at the weekend and of course I used CM93 for the job, had a great time just looking through all the squads.

I'm 20, but I increase my age to 30 at the start of each game to make things more plausable.

I've been playing manager games since I was 8, (Yes, really!), with USM 98/99 continuing through LMA until I switched over with FM2006.

Even though I'm clearly not old, it makes me realise how long it's been since I began playing management games when I realise that names like Ginfranco Zola, Luc Nillis, Ritchie Humphreys, Benito Carbone, Paolo di Canio, Warren Barton and Nigel Martyn aren't around for me to sign anymore...

Even though I'm clearly not old, it makes me realise how long it's been since I began playing management games when I realise that names like Ginfranco Zola, Luc Nillis, Ritchie Humphreys, Benito Carbone, Paolo di Canio, Warren Barton and Nigel Martyn aren't around for me to sign anymore...

Remember some French left winger at Monaco who was 17/18 that few in England would have heard of him unless they played the game, but the player to get at the time. Thierry Henry I think was his name.

Remember some French left winger at Monaco who was 17/18 that few in England would have heard of him unless they played the game, but the player to get at the time. Thierry Henry I think was his name.

Thierry Henry? Oh, you mean that duff winger fron Monaco who couldn't hit a donkey's arse with a banjo. I've heard promising things about a Mr. Guivarc'h; banging them in for fun at Auxerre. Newcastle have spent well...

Now Augustine Okocha, PSG's finest, there's a player.

Chris Hope, Michael Duff and David Collins. Now those boys could play on CM. :D

I always thought Phil Jones at Blackburn was well overrated on FM, just seeing Blackburn occasionally admittedly on teevee. But fair play to FM researchers. He seems to be turning out as potential real deal England regular.

And Rafael Van De Vaart. Great player for me on an FM save that I never rated irl. Yet one of the Premiership's top players in past 12-18 mnths. What do I know! :D

Yeah I totally feel this thread. I might only be 25, but it's the first season where I've been able to add myself as a manager and it actually accept my age as being correct. I too used to create myself and friends in CM01/02. What a series

Sorry if this is random and in the wrong place. Couldn't find anywhere more suitable!

Just cringed...

I just signed a new contract in my second season at Aberdeen and it referred to me as a 27 year old manager (which is my actual age) but it made me realise just how long I've been playing this series! In CM3 I used to add myself as a player and had to make 'myself' older so I was old enough to actually be a player. Now I'm so old I'd be reluctant to sign myself! Anyone else had this feeling or something similar? Or am I crazy?

27 and you're so old you'd be reluctant to sign yourself? Cheeky whipper snapper. :D

Not quite Stanley Matthews but I saw Jimmy Greaves and Bobby Charlton play often on MoTD as a kid. I started supporting Spurs because back in the 60s the FA Cup final was virtually the only live match on TV and coverage started from midday. I started watching it for the '68 final, both London teams. so living in the Midlands I had no particular reason to favour one over another, but for some totally arbitrary reason, probably just liking the name, or maybe because Spurs played in the same strip as England and I'd watched the '66 World Cup final but without that making me interested in football in general, as the day progressed I decided I really wanted Tottenham to win. So when it came to the actual match I was really involved for the first time, and I've been stuck supporting Spurs ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, i remember i used to pretty much always manage as Monaco.

Henry, Trezeguet and Bakayoko were my faves, can't remember which Champ Manager it was (Possibly 94/95 or 95/96) but i was still at school at the time.

Yeah, i remember i used to pretty much always manage as Monaco.

Henry, Trezeguet and Bakayoko were my faves, can't remember which Champ Manager it was (Possibly 94/95 or 95/96) but i was still at school at the time.

Ibrahim Bakayoko was a CM genius - didn't he sign for Everton irl for a season and do absolutely sweet FA?

Gareth Jellyman - one the young players at Posh, Lineker back from Japan and Sulzeer Campbell who as some said above could play everywhere.

What makes me feel really old is the fact that I've now seen the sons of two players, one of whose debuts I was at play first team football.

36 tomorrow...but I feel young cause my dad at 60+ still plays.

Congratulations Tom!

My 1st games where with ManUtd back when Giggs, Scholes (sp?) and Beckham where just kids.

Now I look at Giggs and I think that he is really old. But then I realize that Im older them him.

I am 52 years of age and have been playing management sims since 1996 I am probably the eldist on this furam and not the best speller.

Unfortunately you are not, I turn 60 next April. So I have transitioned from a youngish talented manager into an old stage hand. Never was young enough to play for one of my sides. Started way back with the original game and grown old with it!

I now coach my nephews on how to play FM the 442 way! Is there any other formation?

Im 29 and dont consider myself old but players around 27 i do lol

I think we're all a bit like this. My guess would be it's because, while 27,28,29 year olds are all young men by any stretch, in football terms they're starting to think about their careers winding down.

37 here.

Makes you feel odd when you look at players that are younger than yourself and say to yourself: Narh.. too old. No future in them. They'll degrade to crap soon enough...

And at the same time I'm making steady progress in the local fitness center with what I can cope with lifting...

I remember seeing a pre match clip of two very young lads kicking a ball around in the tunnel at Old Trafford. Paul Ince and Peter Schmeicel's sons. Kasper was one to sign on Fm a few years ago but seems to have been wound down now. The reason that Everton were so good in the first editions of CM was that they had some great players statistically (Anders Limpar, Duncan Ferguson, Neville Southall, Pat Nevin etc etc) but irl they were always injured/suspended/having an off season!

As long as I can realise the dream (which I bet most of us have or had) of scoring the winning goal for my country in the World Cup final, then I do not consider myself old. My benchmark for this is that I'm a week older than David Beckham. Once he retires from playing, THEN I'm old.

(My country is Scotland, but I can still dream, right?)

Archived