Would extra RAM make much difference to FM performance?

On most operating systems (Vista especially) 2GB isn't enough anymore to perform to an acceptable standard (at least by what I class as acceptable) to play most games generally you will want 4GB this allows plenty for all the systems tasks and gives free room for if something else comes along wanting more memory. FM isn't the biggest resource draining game out there, but if you tab out to watch a video on the internet, or to browse through something on your PC it can quickly begin pushing the 2GB limit and starting putting and pulling more stuff from paged memory which is sluggish and it just slows the whole thing down. The processor is important too, but there's no point in having a ferrari if all you've got to drive it on is a dirt track.

I had a laptop which only had 2gb ram and i had turn everything off but still took a age to do a season. Also got very hot but now i have taken the plunge and got a desktop which has got 6gb ram and runs like a dream, can now load and run loads off leagues etc and also looks good on 42" tv

Sorry, didn't see you had stated your intentions in post 1...Check your resource monitor while you play FM and multitask...If you are using all the available RAM, then please upgrade asap...If you are not then it would only make difference if you currently have a single block of 2 GB and can go 2+2 dual channel as this increases performance (works better with CPUs with 2 or more cores so it depends on the CPU you have).

Also, should he not check out the limitations of his OS first as well? I was under the impression the 32 bit version of Vista for example only supported up to 4gb? That would mean if he has a gfx card running as well, he wouldn't actually be able to utilise the full 4gb? Or have I completely made all this up in my head, and I am talking complete boulderdash?

Also, should he not check out the limitations of his OS first as well? I was under the impression the 32 bit version of Vista for example only supported up to 4gb? That would mean if he has a gfx card running as well, he wouldn't actually be able to utilise the full 4gb? Or have I completely made all this up in my head, and I am talking complete boulderdash?

3gb to be precise. You can install more but it won't be utilized on 32 bit systems.

32 bit can't read 4 GB. Still going from 2 to 3.5 will provide enough buffer if he is maxing 2 GB out. If 2 GB are not maxed at current usage, then the problem is slow processor, which is quite expensive to upgrade.

3gb to be precise. You can install more but it won't be utilized on 32 bit systems.

It is not very precise I think - my impression was that it can vary from 3 GB to 3.5 GB depending on the system and the OS version. However, it won't matter for FM whether it is 3 or 3.5 as it doesn't use that much RAM unless you overload the PC with much stuff alongside the game.

Archived