Designated Player Question for MLS

Im currently managing DC United in the MLS and after some information regarding the designated player signings.

Basically how does the game decided when you can and cant offer a designated player contract. Im not into signing old guys and have actually managed to get Darron Gibson on a DP contract, but then im going for someone else and its not allowing me to offer a DP contract.

I have 2 available slots so thats not the problem, does it work on reputation or something and can you offer a DP contract to someone already at the club?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I believe it's based on player reputation. Theoretically, this should allow you to sign "big name" players...but in actuality, you'll likely end up with declining players over the age of 30. Occasionally you might find some young talent, though- be sure to have your assistant coach compile a list for you around 3 times a year.

It is a reputation thing. The DP is not only supposed to be a good player but a player who sells shirts. If you are trying to sign someone the board doesnt feel is high profile enough they wont allow the contract option.

Archived