How to get Reserves to play a specific player?

Yes, if you click on the players profile or right click the players name and then hover over the squad bit, you can select available for reserve squad.

If you don't mean that, you can't actually make a player play for the reserves unless you control the reserves and it'll be up to the coach or assistant who does.

yeah,I made him avaliable for reserves but I would like to get him to play more for reserves.Guess I will have to control the reserves for that?

Yes you would unfortunately. Do you want this player to just get some match practice, because he's just come back from an injury? Or is because he's a decent prospect?

You can make every other player that plays his postion unavailable. Means he'll be played even when his condition is very low but then the AI often does that anyway.

That's still not ideal though is it? Making all players of the same position unavailable. That would probably cause more harm than good.

I think this is an area where there is a big gap in the game. You really should have the ability, as manager, to dictate which players get playing time in the reserves without actually managing the team yourself. You should also be able to advise your assistant manager that you want so and so to play in the reserves in a particular role, especially young players who are developing. If a player is coming back from injury, you should be able to do the same as international friendlies where you can say "45 minutes only" etc.

Hell, it should be as simple as having a tactics screen for the reserves where you can pick players, pick their roles etc, and this is how they will play under your assistant or first team coach. It's madness that you have to manage reserve and youth games yourself to have any input into player development or injury rehab.

Say, for example, you have a key player coming back from injury. He needs match fitness before a vital fixture. You put him in the reserves to get fit and the assman doesn't play him. Or he plays him for 90 minutes, leaving him knackered for the weekend. You can instruct a world famous international manager half way round the world to give your player 45 minutes in a friendly, but you can't ask your own assistant to come into your office to do the same thing. Madness.

• 2 weeks later...
Say, for example, you have a key player coming back from injury. He needs match fitness before a vital fixture. You put him in the reserves to get fit and the assman doesn't play him. Or he plays him for 90 minutes, leaving him knackered for the weekend. You can instruct a world famous international manager half way round the world to give your player 45 minutes in a friendly, but you can't ask your own assistant to come into your office to do the same thing. Madness.

I totally agree here, thats why many a moon ago I decided my Assistant/Coaches are not going to groom/ruin my potential stars. Hence, i ended up controlling the Reserves and U18's.

I was so sick and tired of making a player available for the Reserves, only to find my Assman had stuck my CM in the GK postion, to then decide that 6 mins was enough game time for him and sub him off.

This does have its benefits tho; as soon as any player is eglible for a Full Time contract he can leave my U18's and train with the 1st Team players.

As i watch all my games in full this doesn't take too much extra time, as i only watch the Reserves and U18's in key highlights and usally this is the time to go make coffee, smoke etc.

As a result i seem to to get a better idea of who is actually ready to make that step up to the 1st Team, and which postions/roles they are most effective playing in.

Long gone are the days of "player x is serverley lacking in match practise", I guess its just the next step from what the late great SFraser said.

"While all youth development begins with an effective and efficient scout network, the most vital, crucial, core aspect of youth development is how the manager organised his club. This is what separates the wheat from the chaff, literally. Do you have a handful of wheat or several piles of chaff?

A club is not composed of two or three different clubs. A club is composed of two or three different types of matches and a whole bunch of players trying to improve themselves and win football matches. The most important thing by far when it comes to Youth Development is to completely wipe away the prior conceptions of "First Team, Reserve Team, Youth Team" and instead have a single united club where every player is known by the manager, understood by the manager, developed by the manager, and has a place in the overall heirarchy of the club. The worst thing a manager can do is have too many players for the amount of matches his club plays, or have too many players for his management ability.

There is a simple test to find out if your club is poorly organised:

Go into a save that is at a very busy time of the season, such as Christmas in the Premier League. Go into your First Team Squad and click the filter options and show Reserve Team, Youth Team and tick "Hide Unavailable".

If there are any players that Lack Match Fitness in your entire club that are not just back from a serious injury then you have far too many players for the amount of football at your club.

If there are any players you don't recognise and know nothing about then you have far too many players for your personal ability to manage.

It's that simple. Youth development relies entirely upon having a club size and club composition that you can manage. If either of the two apply to you then you need to start taking the axe to some contracts if you want to effectively develop youngsters.

The next thing to realise is that the only difference between all the different squads at your club is that First Team Players wont get picked for the Youth Team, and the Reserve Team Players wont get picked for anything but the Reserves. Having players in the Reserves is a bad idea. Players in your Youth Team will be picked for Reserve Matches and players in your First Team you select for Reserves will play in the Reserves. This means more football for these players, and football is good for footballers.

The only difference between players at your club should be those players that will play Youth Team and Reserve Team football but are unlikely to play many First Team games, and those players that will play First Team and Reserve Team football but not many (or any) youth team games. That should be the only difference. And between all those players you should have a nice, balanced, deep squad of say 4 or 5 players per position to play all the football your club is involved in."

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I'm sure in previous FM's you could go to your reserve team and allocate a position for your reserve player. This would ensure that the ass man picked him.

It's no guarantee that the player will play in that chosen position as the Assman overrides your choices. The best you can do, without taking control, is to remove all potential rivals from that squad for the matches you want a certain player to play in.

Archived