FM 2012 on VMWare / Windows Server 2008R2

Hi, I'm having problems running FM (and FM editor) in virtualized environment and just to want to know if anyone else have had any such problems. After I've installed Steam and the game itself and try to run it it seems to just load into memory and hang there, with no visual indicators that it actually works. I can see the process running in the task manager but can't see the windows of the game itself nowhere on my screen. I've tried compatibility mode, switches (small_screen, windowed) - nothing works. Or maybe it's a problem with the system? I'm on a Windows Server 2008 R2. My VMware client is vSphere 4.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not familiar with VMware, but make sure you are passing through enough video memory (isn't the default 16 MB?). Also, it is entirely possible that the virtual drivers are not compatible (for example, with VirtualBox, you need VirtualBox Guest Additions to do any video acceleration).

I'm not familiar with VMware, but make sure you are passing through enough video memory (isn't the default 16 MB?). Also, it is entirely possible that the virtual drivers are not compatible (for example, with VirtualBox, you need VirtualBox Guest Additions to do any video acceleration).

Well, I've set it up to use 128 MB for grpahics but still doesn't work. I've just checked system log and I can see that it crashed nearly 4 hours after running in the background. What's interesting is that it still hangs in open processes in task manager. It didn't even create a proper crashdump. I'm now ready to give up playing FM on VMware, I'll try Virtual PC on my laptop instead and see how that works.

Thanks anyway

Archived