Fix the transfer system

Went Real Madrid and offered Ronaldo out for 2.5M and only one team wanted him. Chelsea, and they offered 0 up front and 2.5 over 48 months. Ridiculous. However, not as ridiculous as what occurred next... I offered him to clubs for 40k, yes, 40 thousand, and nobody was interested never mind made an offer.

It's beyond a joke now. You can't sell anybody for their proper value and the odd time you do manage to attract a club for your player, they naturally offer 0 up front. Please sort this out as it's ruining the game.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What club in the world could afford to offer Cristiano Ronaldo the kind of money he is on at R. Madrid that isn't such a significant step down for him career wise that he would actually want to go and play there?

I can name 2

Man Utd

Barcelona

You're right, can't see any problems with either of those :rolleyes:

What club in the world could afford to offer Cristiano Ronaldo the kind of money he is on at R. Madrid that isn't such a significant step down for him career wise that he would actually want to go and play there?

I can name 2

Man Utd

Barcelona

I lol'd when you said Barca was a step down from Madrid :p...

Sure. I just think this is a really stupid thread is all. I could understand the OP's point if he wasn't using the 2nd best player in the world, at the peak of his power, at one of the world's top two or three clubs, with money to rival the GDP of a small country as his example...

Sure. I just think this is a really stupid thread is all. I could understand the OP's point if he wasn't using the 2nd best player in the world, at the peak of his power, at one of the world's top two or three clubs, with money to rival the GDP of a small country as his example...

I think he has a point though, I mean, Man City, Chelsea, even Anzhi the way they have been spending could afford his wages, I know your post talked about career moves etc, but he isnt rejecting them, they are not interested in him.

I think that its fair to say that if Real Madrid put him up for sale tomorrow for 40k there would be some takers

Ok, what I want you to do now is load up FM and get up the list of richest clubs.

Look at the top 20 clubs, lets assume that they would all be able to afford his wages.

Now, lets look at how many he would be prepared to move to. Well obviously you can count out Barcelona, Real Madrid and Man Utd.

Now, he wouldn't join Arsenal, FC Bayern, S.L. Benfica, Liverpool, Tottenham, Athletico Madrid, Juventus, Porto, Dortmund, Valencia, Villareal, Marseille and Malaga, all too low a reputation.

That leaves Chelsea, Man City, Inter Milan and A.C. Milan.

So, 4 clubs in the world that might be able to afford his wages and that he might be prepared to join, however in reality both Milan sides probably couldn't afford his wages at the moment, which leaves Chelsea and Man City.

Why do you find it so surprising that nobody has tried to buy him if there are only 2 clubs in the world that he would be prepared to join who could also afford his wages?

Again I think you are also missing the point. This is not about who he would want to join, its about who would want to have him join. Do you really think that Man City would not bid for him just cause they had a hunch he would say no (despite IRL him saying he would play there)?

Well I think there is an argument to say that perhaps they wouldn't. Not until they win a major trophy like the CL or the PL. Don't you remember a couple of years ago when city were looking to make a statement and they bid 130 million quid for Kaka and he basically told them to shove it up their a$$? That was really, really embarrassing for them at the time and it took them a while to rebuild their image. They made a statement alright - "nobody takes us seriously right now."

I can name 2

Man Utd

Barcelona

The issue isn't him not wanting to join any teams. The issue is that, when offered at 40k, not one club showed an interest in the second best player in the world. You really don't see the problem?

He would probably go to Man City IRL btw, it's Ronaldo we're talking about.

So you offered him out at the start of the first season? After most teams had already spent their transfer budgets and had their wage budgets largely filled?

No. I started a new game with Madrid purely to test the transfer system as it had already been annoying me in my current save, and I offered him to clubs immediately. Probably before any club could even negotiate any deals in the game for them to use up all their transfer and wage budgets.

As has been discussed in other threads multiple times, FM works on the system of reputations. Man City would look at Ronaldo and have to decide "Are we a club with a big enough reputation that Player X would join us" - the answer would be "No." Hence, no bid forthcoming. I'm not saying it couldn't use some work, but it's what works right now.

Ok, what I want you to do now is load up FM and get up the list of richest clubs.

Look at the top 20 clubs, lets assume that they would all be able to afford his wages.

Now, lets look at how many he would be prepared to move to. Well obviously you can count out Barcelona, Real Madrid and Man Utd.

Now, he wouldn't join Arsenal, FC Bayern, S.L. Benfica, Liverpool, Tottenham, Athletico Madrid, Juventus, Porto, Dortmund, Valencia, Villareal, Marseille and Malaga, all too low a reputation.

That leaves Chelsea, Man City, Inter Milan and A.C. Milan.

So, 4 clubs in the world that might be able to afford his wages and that he might be prepared to join, however in reality both Milan sides probably couldn't afford his wages at the moment, which leaves Chelsea and Man City.

Why do you find it so surprising that nobody has tried to buy him if there are only 2 clubs in the world that he would be prepared to join who could also afford his wages?

That's a lie. I bet you any of those clubs can afford him for 40k. Let's say his wages were 30M USD a year (about 428k a week). I bet you right now Benfica is paying twice that amount every month just for clauses. I'm sure all of those clubs could afford his wages. Ronaldo might not want to leave, but if you **** him off, he will.

As has been discussed in other threads multiple times, FM works on the system of reputations. Man City would look at Ronaldo and have to decide "Are we a club with a big enough reputation that Player X would join us" - the answer would be "No." Hence, no bid forthcoming. I'm not saying it couldn't use some work, but it's what works right now.

It doesn't work at all. I think you're giving the game far too much credit as far as realism goes.

If Cristiano Ronaldo was transfer listed and the asking price was 40 thousand pounds, I can almost guarantee you that United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona, The Milan clubs, PSG, Anzhi et al would all be interested. Nobody was interested in the game, not one club. It's nothing to do with clubs thinking 'would he want to join us?' and deciding no. It's everything to do with a very flawed transfer system.

Why would Chelsea offer 0 up front and 2.5M over 48 months for him? What is the benefit of that when they've probably got about at least £30M to spend?

I've got scout reports on some 16 year old regens where my world class scouts tell me that I'll have to pay at least £25M for them yet I can't garner the interest of one single club when I transfer list a football legend for 40k?

Come on man.

Well I just don't agree with you is all. I'm playing the game just fine and am having no trouble selling my players. I just sold a 29-year-old Marouane Chamackh literally while we've had this conversation for 8.5 million quid (lump sum) to Dortmund on the first round of offers. I think you've chosen a very silly example with obvious flaws that I've pointed out. If you've got others then lets talk about those?

Well I just don't agree with you is all. I'm playing the game just fine and am having no trouble selling my players. I just sold a 29-year-old Marouane Chamackh literally while we've had this conversation for 8.5 million quid (lump sum) to Dortmund on the first round of offers. I think you've chosen a very silly example with obvious flaws that I've pointed out. If you've got others then lets talk about those?

Okay. I had an offer accepted for Cavani but I had his agent tell me something along the lines of "The contract will need to be very good for my client to consider/accept" blah blah.

I believe the contract offered was more than very good....

210k every week. An appearance fee of 210k again. A goal bonus of 210K. All in that's 630K on a good week. A yearly wage rise of 50%. 2.1M bonus after scoring 5 goals.

By the end of his contract he'd have been earning over half a million pounds a week in wage along without counting bonuses that'd be getting picked up left, right and centre.

All of this without even bringing the massive step up it'd be to go from a 65k wage at Napoli to an astronomical wage at probably the biggest club in the world in Real Madrid.

edinson.png

Well I don't know what to say about that as in my game (Oct 2013) Edison Cavani currently plays for me at Arsenal. He cost me 25 million, and I'm paying 120k p/w with 12.5k appearance and 12.5k per goal with a match highest earner clause. I had to haggle him down from 140k p/w 20k/20k, but it wasn't that difficult...

For what it's worth, he is worth every penny! :p

What is YOUR reputation? Did you start off as an ex-Sunday league player or something?

International footballer.

I can only assume it's because this is technically his first season as a Napoli player therefore he doesn't want to leave so soon after joining. Happens all the time and all very believable, but where it all falls apart is when his agent tells me he'll consider if the offer is right and then I offer that. Nobody would say no.

No. I started a new game with Madrid purely to test the transfer system as it had already been annoying me in my current save, and I offered him to clubs immediately. Probably before any club could even negotiate any deals in the game for them to use up all their transfer and wage budgets.

Umm as soon as you start a new game most clubs have made all their transfers because of all the real life transfers taking up a decent chunk of transfer and wage budgets.

Umm as soon as you start a new game most clubs have made all their transfers because of all the real life transfers taking up a decent chunk of transfer and wage budgets.

I really don't think it should matter. The likes of Anzhi, PSG and Man City aren't going to sit on their laurels when the best/2nd-best player in the world is up for grabs just because 'our transfer and wages budgets are already set'. It shouldn't work like that.

I really don't think it should matter. The likes of Anzhi, PSG and Man City aren't going to sit on their laurels when the best/2nd-best player in the world is up for grabs just because 'our transfer and wages budgets are already set'. It shouldn't work like that.

Of course not but you have to take into account whether he would want to join those clubs. Obviously i think the issue is why aren't they making an offer? But unfortunately many AI controlled clubs on fm won't even make an offer for a player if they don't think that player is interested.

I can't see ronaldo wanting to go from madrid to anzhi or psg and is he likely to go to man city when man utd are still on his favoured club list? Of course that shouldn't stop them from at least making an offer but i'm not sure how this situation is proof of anything tbh, other than the OP acting in a very unrealistic way by offering out one of the very best players in the world.

unfortunately many AI controlled clubs on fm won't even make an offer for a player if they don't think that player is interested.

And this is where I see the problem lying. AI clubs aren't nearly ambitious enough when it comes to signing players of a higher prestige than the club. I've had more than a few instances where I was told by my scouts that the player would have 'no interest' in joining my club, only to wind up signing him (albiet for hefty wages). AI clubs shouldn't just back off every time they think they're going to be rejected.

i have a hard time selling players too... i think the problem with ronaldo is he won't want to play for most other clubs, and most other clubs can't afford his wages.... but i'm havinig a hard time selling most players for anything reasonable. i'm always getting ripped off, and i'm always overpaying for everyone i buy for the most part.

AFAIK, AI clubs do not bid when they think they have no chances of getting the player (be it for a wage problem or a rep problem)

but it seems like sometimes you can't sell anyone.

i couldn't sell joe cole for 3 years. he ended up retiring because he rotted away in my reserves.

i couldn't sell stewart downing

i couldn't sell aquilani for a year and a half, and ended up ditching him for like 4.5m or something over 48 months because i just wanted him gone and thats all i could get

lots of stuff like this... just annoying... not always the case

i sold skrtel for 11m, lucas for 14m... but i wasn't trying to sell them, i just got offers for them randomly in the summer.

AFAIK, AI clubs do not bid when they think they have no chances of getting the player (be it for a wage problem or a rep problem)

Then SI need to take this "feature"/"bug"/"action" out of the game. Clubs are not even bidding for him at 40k. If RM put him up for 40k, every club in the world would bid, from Blackburn to Dortmund to Lyon! Simple as but this isnt the case. The game needs changing to signify that the player is transfer listed and clubs can afford to bid for him, its then the PLAYERS Choice to move on or stay put, not the clubs to "presume" he wouldnt join.

I don't think every club in the world would bid for him in my opinion the clubs that could afford his wages in game would be Man United, Barcelona, Man City, Anzhi, PSG, Malaga, Juventus, AC Milan, and Inter. It makes me wonder does the AI have the ability to switch transfer funds to wages? If someone like Liverpool or Bayern Munich saw a player of his quality for 40k surely they would switch their budgets around to be able to offer him a contract.

I don't think every club in the world would bid for him in my opinion the clubs that could afford his wages in game would be Man United, Barcelona, Man City, Anzhi, PSG, Malaga, Juventus, AC Milan, and Inter. It makes me wonder does the AI have the ability to switch transfer funds to wages? If someone like Liverpool or Bayern Munich saw a player of his quality for 40k surely they would switch their budgets around to be able to offer him a contract.

Completely disagree with you, HOW does a club know it cant afford someone's wages until they enter negotiations with the player? Ok, he might be on £250k a week, but that how negotiations works, he may come down to 150k a week but have some bonuses to make up the difference. What the problem is here, he been offered out for 40k and no teams in the world are interested in him regardless of his wages??

Its a bug/feature that shouldn't be in the game, if he is transfer listed, clubs SHOULD at least bid and then go from there.

Completely disagree with you, HOW does a club know it cant afford someone's wages until they enter negotiations with the player? Ok, he might be on £250k a week, but that how negotiations works, he may come down to 150k a week but have some bonuses to make up the difference. What the problem is here, he been offered out for 40k and no teams in the world are interested in him regardless of his wages??

Its a bug/feature that shouldn't be in the game, if he is transfer listed, clubs SHOULD at least bid and then go from there.

They know they cannot afford him just like Sunderland for example would know in real life that they would not be able to offer him. I agree that more teams should go for him but his high rep along with his huge contract would put teams off going for him like it would in real life.

Ah the old input an unrealistic situation and expect a realistic result. I love these threads.

There's nothing wrong with wanting this. The game should be able to handle unexpected "bonuses" and should ruthlessly exploit them. That would make the game more awesome, as the game can deal with more scenarios.

If a world-class player were offered out for essentially free, every single team should be barging in with a bid, from rubbish clubs that are no-hopers who are bidding "just in case", to rich sugar daddies, to other world-class clubs.

A truly great game should be able to handle just about every single unusual scenario out there, whether it be bidding £100m for an amateur player or offering out Ronaldo for essentially free. A truly great game should be able to react in a realistic way even for unusual scenarios. It shouldn't actually care if a scenario is unusual or not - to the game, it just deals with a scenario. Whether it is unusual or not is a human construct that means very little to a computer.

Exactly. How many times have we seen players leave on a free or next to nothing, have a cut or in some cases a rise in wages but recieve a big signing on fee because there is no transfer fee involved?

If a player is recieving a £10m signing on fee, im sure they would drop £50-100k p/w in wages as the signing on fee will balance it out.

They know they cannot afford him just like Sunderland for example would know in real life that they would not be able to offer him. I agree that more teams should go for him but his high rep along with his huge contract would put teams off going for him like it would in real life.

These are presumtions and cannot be reflected in RL. He's been transfer listed, teams who can afford his transfer fee should go for him, regardless of rep, wages, contract etc. The fact ZERO clubs bid for him is unrealistic regardless of wether its Sunderland, AC Milan or PSG.

There's nothing wrong with wanting this. The game should be able to handle unexpected "bonuses" and should ruthlessly exploit them. That would make the game more awesome, as the game can deal with more scenarios.

If a world-class player were offered out for essentially free, every single team should be barging in with a bid, from rubbish clubs that are no-hopers who are bidding "just in case", to rich sugar daddies, to other world-class clubs.

A truly great game should be able to handle just about every single unusual scenario out there, whether it be bidding £100m for an amateur player or offering out Ronaldo for essentially free. A truly great game should be able to react in a realistic way even for unusual scenarios. It shouldn't actually care if a scenario is unusual or not - to the game, it just deals with a scenario. Whether it is unusual or not is a human construct that means very little to a computer.

How did i know you would quote me............

Your right tho, Aberdeen or Dundee would be chomping at the bit to throw their worthwhile £40K to Real on the off chance Ronaldo has been smoking crack and decides the SPL is his next move.

Your also right the game should be able to cope with every single situation, its an absolute joke that SI cannot make the game account for every single possible scenario in the world, shame on you SI. Time to think again.

Ah the old input an unrealistic situation and expect a realistic result. I love these threads.

The realistic situation is that most clubs have replaced the majority of their squads within 5-6 years. In FM they replace good players who retire with useless wrecks. Why is it so difficult to program the AI to re-evaluate their squad every 30th June, transfer list or force out whoever they deem redundant so as to free up resources, and then use up their transfer and wage budgets on as many players they can get hold of that would strengthen their team? All these features are already in the game but they are not used by the AI!

The realistic situation is that most clubs have replaced the majority of their squads within 5-6 years. In FM they replace good players who retire with useless wrecks. Why is it so difficult to program the AI to re-evaluate their squad every 30th June, transfer list or force out whoever they deem redundant so as to free up resources, and then use up their transfer and wage budgets on as many players they can get hold of that would strengthen their team? All these features are already in the game but they are not used by the AI!

You always completely over exaggerate the situation, every time. Its no where near as bad as your posts make out. Yes we all know the AI needs to improve in the long term, but its not the complete disaster you always make it out to be. The AI buys players, it replaces bad players, it replaces old players, it doesnt always make the best signing avaliable, but thats not really the worst thing every. The AI develops young players if they are good enough, the AI goes after good young players, what it doesnt have is the foresight we have when it comes to squad building so in the long term their squads will never be as good as ours.

Your right tho, Aberdeen or Dundee would be chomping at the bit to throw their worthwhile £40K to Real on the off chance Ronaldo has been smoking crack and decides the SPL is his next move.

Your also right the game should be able to cope with every single situation, its an absolute joke that SI cannot make the game account for every single possible scenario in the world, shame on you SI. Time to think again.

I suppose if you had your way Anzhi wouldnt have even bothered trying to get Eto'o because they lack the reputation, despite having the money :rolleyes:

Thats the issue here. Teams SHOULD be bidding for players in these situations. Any club that is a front runner in their league, from one of the top leagues in the world, can consistently offer Champions League football and can afford the wages would have a go. Why not?

How much is Ronaldo on again in Real? £200k? Well I would assume every top tier club is able to cough out at least, say, £30m in transfer fees. £30m over three years for example equals roughly £200k p/w. Every team that's willing to pay £30m for a single player should be willing to bid £40k for Cristiano Ronaldo because they quite obviously could afford him.

I agree that this is a difficult scenario for the game to handle because nobody really should be offering Ronaldo out for peanuts. But to say that it is somehow right that there are no takers is silly. The 'can't afford his wages' argument does not hold water at all.

I suppose if you had your way Anzhi wouldnt have even bothered trying to get Eto'o because they lack the reputation, despite having the money :rolleyes:

Thats the issue here. Teams SHOULD be bidding for players in these situations. Any club that is a front runner in their league, from one of the top leagues in the world, can consistently offer Champions League football and can afford the wages would have a go. Why not?

Its not about my way, i dont have any say in the game.

No one in the world could have predicted Eto moving to Anzhi, thats the problem, your looking at an extremely isolated incident and expect the game to always follow through like that. Who are we kidding here, there are maybe 4 teams who could afford Ronaldo's wages, he already plays for 1 of them, one of the others he has already played for. Even on a free Ronaldo would bankrupt most clubs with his wages and everything else. You also have to consider when he is being offered out, have the big teams already signed players, have they already built their squads for the year, most of the big teams could have already spent their money for the year.

How much is Ronaldo on again in Real? £200k? Well I would assume every top tier club is able to cough out at least' date=' say, £30m in transfer fees. £30m over three years for example equals roughly £200k p/w. Every team that's willing to pay £30m for a single player should be willing to bid £40k for Cristiano Ronaldo because they quite obviously could afford him.

[/quote']

Name all the teams in recent years who have spent £30m on one player.

When I mean "every club" I mean "every club that has a realistic chance of keeping him" - by that I mean around top 6 in England, top 2 in Spain, top 3 in Italy, top 3 in Germany, top 2 in France and the various sugar daddies around the world (Anzhi and the Middle East). Some other teams might be able to conjure up some sponsor magic, where the sponsor pays an unusually low sponsorship deal but gets more of the commercial profits of Ronaldo in return, as well as a large payment up front to help with his signing-on bonus.

The game shouldn't, and likely doesn't, deal in "discrete" scenarios. All it really needs to work with is a supply-and-demand and rational bargaining sort of way where a rare player (very few players are as good as Ronaldo - low supply) gets offered for a price that is miles below market value, leading to huge interest as Ronaldo will generate commercial and footballing returns miles above the offered price. Ronaldo will definitely have a huge wage cost but Real Madrid's commercial revenue is very high too - Ronaldo offers a genuine financial return.

It's just a marketplace. A player is offered for miles below market value - bargain, full-stop, and if you can afford the costs up front, Ronaldo will indirectly pay that back over time, plus a return. Maybe you will be able to sell him for £20m or something the next season, for a quick ~£20m transfer profit. Bidding £40k for Ronaldo and having a chance to negotiate with him represents outstanding value for money. As he showed with Manchester United and Real Madrid, he can single-handedly win you games, single-handedly boost your commercial revenue and single-handedly raise the profile of your club - Ronaldo is like a free club boost at that price. Sure he has high "maintenence" costs but the knock-on effects will last for a very long time and in the long run, Ronaldo is a very good investment. Just ask Real Madrid, and they paid £80m for him!

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/284914-How-do-YOU-deal-with-the-sale-of-your-star-players

I started a thread not long ago about not getting any offers for my best players. Not just from offering them out, but top players who most teams would IRL and should be trying to snap up. I have now decided that the AI in FM is bad in regard to this. And therefore I am just going to continue playing this save in FM11 because I'm enjoying it and from the threads I've seen on here there has obviously been no improvement in this area. I think the whole AI system needs overhauling. E.g - Transfers, chairman ambition, player ambition, manager ambition and manager sackings/replacements(linked to chairmen), AI squad building - not just buying good players but also developing their own(right now in my save Barcelona and Real Madrid have 4 Spanish players between them), and I'm sure there are other things that I can't think of right now.

For this reason I'm not going to buy another version of FM until I see improvements in this area - So I will be on the forums waiting until i see feedback that is positive in this regard.

As the dragons would say... I'm OUT.

Its not about my way, i dont have any say in the game.

No one in the world could have predicted Eto moving to Anzhi, thats the problem, your looking at an extremely isolated incident and expect the game to always follow through like that. Who are we kidding here, there are maybe 4 teams who could afford Ronaldo's wages, he already plays for 1 of them, one of the others he has already played for. Even on a free Ronaldo would bankrupt most clubs with his wages and everything else. You also have to consider when he is being offered out, have the big teams already signed players, have they already built their squads for the year, most of the big teams could have already spent their money for the year.

Like ive already said, if the transfer fee is next to nothing, teams will use some of their transfer budget to balance the wage. I think AcidBurn has already pointed out about transfering transfer budget to wages. Whether the AI does this under certain situations is another issue, but should be a realistic posibility.

If Ronaldo is on say £200k p/w Plently of teams will either be able to offer say £120k p/w and add a large signing on fee to counter the drop in wage, or simply convert £10-20m or whatever they are comfortable with of their transfer budget into wages over the ength of the contract. That way the club isnt out of pocket and neither is the player.

Maybe the game AI isnt intelligent enough to do this yet. If it isnt, its something that should be looked into for the future. If it already is and its not doing it, there is a problem. Either way there is a problem.

When I mean "every club" I mean "every club that has a realistic chance of keeping him" - by that I mean around top 6 in England, top 2 in Spain, top 3 in Italy, top 3 in Germany, top 2 in France and the various sugar daddies around the world (Anzhi and the Middle East). Some other teams might be able to conjure up some sponsor magic, where the sponsor pays an unusually low sponsorship deal but gets more of the commercial profits of Ronaldo in return, as well as a large payment up front to help with his signing-on bonus.

Top 6 in England!!?? We're talking about arguably the worlds very best player, he is not going to sign for anyone, especially not him, he knows how good he is, he is not going to sign for anyone not in with a realistic shout of winning everything they compete in. Again, who is going to pay his wages, Arsenal definitely will not pay, Liverpool could not afford him, Chelsea maybe, United probably, City def, so we have 2 maybes and 1 def in the worlds richest league. Sponsor magic doesnt happen in game and yes before you say it maybe they should add it, but its so rare its not worth worrying about.

Archived