Craziest managerial decision u have ever made....??

I current manage Hartlepool and after 7 seasons i finally got them into the premiership,a new board meant a few shillings to spend on players but a crappy ground holding only 12,000 means not a lot of income comming through the gates,im prolly gonna get relegated but at the start of the season Arsenal approached me and offered 17 grand per week with a budget of 97mill which i could have extended to 133mill with a lower wage structure.

Now i always wanted to get a low team into top flight and win something and 7 seasons work was a lot to give up on so amazingly i rejected the offer and stayed loyal to Pool.

Has anyone else done something like this which defies logic icon_smile.gif

After 5 successful years at Bayern Munich I left for AC Milan, the board were awful and I really didn't take to the league but I won it anyways and left (despite being offered a 3 yr contract) for Valencia after only one season. Now i'm on the verge of being sacked by Valenica and wishing i'd stayed in italy.

Originally posted by OzY_Gooner:

bought c.ronaldo for 81mill pounds :0

Yeah, I'd have to say buying Ronaldo and Rooney for £86 and £60mm respectively on my Milan game was a pretty big mistake.

Also, selling van der Vaart to Chelsea for £40million was pretty bad... turned out that he was my only good player.

Oh yeah, and leaving Inter to take over at Carlisle Utd. because I wanted a challenge... boy, was that a spur of the moment decision.

I may have just made the craziest decision of my managerial career at Fiorentina due to my obsession with wanting to build a team with a core of young Italian players (seemingly whatever the cost!).

I was trying to sign Sebastian Giovinco from Juventus at the start of the season, but they demanded £20 million so I backed off. Mid-November though I probed again and had a £16 million bid accepted so I promptly offered Adrian Mutu around, since he was transfer listed by request, and Bayern offered £15.5 mill (accepted by the board) and Milan offered the same which I myself accepted (I assume the board didn't intercept that one because they are a rival, but I didn't want to scupper a move by having him reject Bayern and have no other options).

So Mutu, with a Worldwide (I think) reputation is leaving for one of my biggest rivals in January and a young totally untested kid is going to arrive to replace him next summer. I knew when I did the whole deal that I'd have to wait until summer because he's on a season-long loan at Empoli, but I really wanted to sign him. Now I'm going to have to play the second half of our season without a worldclass striker and with no replacement and hope Mutu doesn't come back to haunt me with Milan icon_razz.gif

Then next season I get to see if Giovinco is any good at all (he's not scored in 12 games for Empoli this season icon_biggrin.gif)

Left Palace who I was on the verge of getting promoted with (took over when they sacked Warnock and just avoided relegation, next season finished 7th and missed play offs by goal difference) to join Middlesborough... then I realised Boro had just got relegated to League 1 and all their players wanted to leave icon_frown.gif

Or accidentally confirming the England squad for the World Cup that didn't have Rooney, Owen, Lampard, Gerrard or Terry in as I'd left them out of the previous friendly game... oops!

I agreed to manage Leeds, a few years into the game. Such a stupid idea. Their expectations were pretty high, and they weren't too pleased when I got relegated. I did at least survive until the next season, but being in the bottom half of League 1 at Christmas sealed my fate.

my stories are so unbelievable,

numba 1 being a shkahtar for 17 years winning everythin n nethin now i can w.e job i want and so i decyded to leave to manage huddersfield i got them in the oremiership won that and everythin then for sum stupid reason left them and joined a strugglin fisher athletic in the conference hahaha y did i do that i dnt know.

also paying 45 million for a player that cudnt play for me for 3 years due to work permit issues

• 4 weeks later...

Take charge of Tottenham

Build a good team

Win some minor trophies

Buy a player for 7 millions

Player stars in his first season and I...

WIN THE TITLE

I now have the best team in the country...BY FAR

Next season, that player is sold by the board for 15 millions

I RESIGN!

In FM08? I bought a young regen called Matt Morell for £17m, he looked the business. I'd never spent over £10m on any player but I thought it was a good idea to sign him. I ended up selling him to Arsenal 3 seasons later for £5.5m.

My biggest mistake was even thinking of accepting the Man U job after 3 successful seasons in the SPL with Celtic, which saw me win 3 League titles, 3 Scottish Cups and 2 League Cups and enter the Scottish Hall of Fame. I was offered the contract after telling the press I would be interested, my board and fans were obviously quite displeased. Built my relationship with them back up though, after turning down the contract to stay with my beloved Celtic team, but that little incident with Man U has haunted me ever since! I mean what was I thinking? I'm a Liverpool fan and I love the Celtic team that I've managed to build up over the course of 3 seasons? Why would I have left that for the club I hate the most?! icon_razz.gif

Buying Kaka for £50 million then seeing him get a 9 month injury through a broken leg icon_frown.gif

Then it got even worse when his contract ran out and he wouldn't accept a new one.

He played an astonishing 4 games for the club! The biggest waste ever icon_frown.gif

Back on the original Zealot 01/02 clan, I made it to the Premier League at Tottenham Hotspur via a few clubs. I paid £45,000,000 for an Argentine striker, aged 21 and relatively unproven. It was three times what I had ever paid for anyone before (in any game or version) and I've never paid near it for anybody again since.

He repaid my faith though, as he helped me to four Premier League titles and two Champions League over the next ten seasons.

On FM07:

I signed a regen striker with bags of potential as a youngster of about 18, but he never broke through to the first team, but I still managed to sell him for about £10mil.

Perhaps 10 years later I notice he has fullfilled his potential and become excellent, and splash out about 70million to bag him from Milan, as I had nothing better to do with my money.

Unfortunately he is just one of many strikers; perhaps 4th choice in a rotation system, and after 2 fruitless first-team years, scoring about 5 goals in 25 appearances, dropped him to reserves, and finally sold him 2 years later, age 30/31, for about 1.5million.

Learnt to control my splashing of cash on unneccessary players after that.

Originally posted by Hershie:

On FM07:

I signed a regen striker with bags of potential as a youngster of about 18, but he never broke through to the first team, but I still managed to sell him for about £10mil.

Perhaps 10 years later I notice he has fullfilled his potential and become excellent, and splash out about 70million to bag him from Milan, as I had nothing better to do with my money.

Unfortunately he is just one of many strikers; perhaps 4th choice in a rotation system, and after 2 fruitless first-team years, scoring about 5 goals in 25 appearances, dropped him to reserves, and finally sold him 2 years later, age 30/31, for about 1.5million.

Lol, bet you was gutted.

Originally posted by YesYesOhYay:

became real madrid manager but resigned 55 days later ! icon_biggrin.gif

I did similar on a previous 08 save.

Spent 4 years building up a quality Millwall team and getting them into the Premiership. Jumped at the chance to take over at Sevilla and lasted 3 weeks before resigning.

Originally posted by jblufc1306:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

On FM07:

Lol, bet you was gutted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah. 300million-ish to spend in about 2020. I do get attatched to players though, and can keep players who I bring up through youth system until they're in their late 20s without playing them, because I don't want to see the players I've developed leave.

Have lost quite a lot of transfer revenue that way, by not selling backup players when I get a good offer, and then when I finally bring myself to sell them, getting nowhere near as much.

Originally posted by Pricey85:

Getting the Posh to the championship then succumbing to FMM, ruined my game!

HAHA, same here. FMM really ruins the game for me. But I can't help it. Team losing... must use... FMM... Not enough money... ugh... F...M...M...

Then in no time, I have a super team of unknowns out of the blue. I decided to restart and uninstall FMM. But until now... I miss it... like a drug... ugh... FMM...

Now with my new game, became a well known manager by bringing Leeds up. They refused to expand stadium and improve training facilities. Confident enough, I resigned.

Still unemployed and eating bananas for 2 years now. WTF!?!?!?! icon_razz.gif

i resigned as manager after luton after only staying one season with them and got offered the job at Fiorentina with transfer budjet, little did i know they were in debt and i went to ask for more wage money to try and at least get some free transfers and they said no, i ultimatumed and they sacked me after 1 day in charge lol.

Originally posted by Liverpool24:

i resigned as manager after luton after only staying one season with them and got offered the job at Fiorentina with transfer budjet, little did i know they were in debt and i went to ask for more wage money to try and at least get some free transfers and they said no, i ultimatumed and they sacked me after 1 day in charge lol.

sorry forgot something, " with transfer budget of around 650k"*

Archived