Homegrown player status issue

I have a bunch of my players who should be listed as homegrown players, but aren't. They don't have the "HG" icon next to their names even though they should, and it's making it difficult to properly register my squad for the Euro Cup and other competitions. Any ideas?

homegrownstatus.png

Guys like Kevin Thomson and Marco Verratti aren't listed as homegrown players in the nation and club rspectively, even though they should be. It says under the "homegrown status" column that they should count, but there's no "HG" icon next to their names, and when I add them to the list of registered players, they don't count toward the homegrown totals.

Hmm, not sure then. Does sound a bit odd, from the looks of it those 3 should be classed as HG for you. I can't really help beyond post above because not yet qualified for any UEFA competitions on an FM12 save.

Edit - Nottingham Forest knows more than me on it, but what he says sounds like the answer. To qualify for 3 years they surely have to be at your team before their 18th birthday? If not, then they're not HG.

In the past, the rule has always been that if you turn 21 during your third season at the club, you qualify as a homegrown player, so guys who I signed at 18 like Verratti and Sanogo should count. If Thomson doesn't count, then that "homegrwn status" screen is really confusing since it lists him as homegrown in the nation in one place, but not in the other. Why would it say "trained in nation (0-21)" under the homegrown status column is he wasn't trained in the nation as the club?

Thomson says Trained in Nation which is Scotland. So he isn't homegrown in England.

Verrati and Sanogo are trained at club. They will be trained at their previous clubs.

Also, click the Euro Cup thing that youu have minimised. It'll explain everything there.

That German guy, Risso will be trained at club in a year as well. It tells you the due date of the players for becoming qualified. I'd assume if they don't have it there, they never will become trained :thup:.

But everyone is trained at a club or in a nation... it should say "Trained at club" or "Trained in nation" next to every player if it's referring to their previous club or nation. Likewise, Collison isn't homegrown in Wales, or Williams in Australia, they're both homegrown in England.

They should count as HG, the problem seems to be this strange "0-21". This does not appear in the regulations and appears to be an invention of SI, I have asked in other threads about this but have had no official clarification. Going by the info. you have provided, Verratti and Sanogo are covered by 18.10 below.

So, (once more):-

Regulations of the UEFA Champions League 2011/12 Regulations

Player Eligibility

Article 18

General provisions

18.08 No club may have more than 25 players on List A during the season. As a

minimum, eight places are reserved exclusively for “locally trained players”

and no club may have more than four “association-trained players” listed on

these eight places on List A. List A must specify at least eight players who

qualify as being “locally trained”, as well as whether they are “club-trained” or

“association-trained”. The possible combinations that enable clubs to comply

with the List A requirements are set out in Annex VIII.

18.09 A “locally trained player” is either a “club-trained player” or an “association-trained

player”.

18.10 A “club-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the start of

the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during

which he turns 21), and irrespective of his nationality and age, has been

registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire

seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant

national championship and ending with the last official match of that relevant

national championship) or of 36 months.

18.11 An “association-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the

start of the season during which the player turns 15) and 21 (or the end of

the season during which the player turns 21), and irrespective of his

nationality and age, has been registered with a club or with other clubs

affiliated to the same association as that of his current club for a period,

continuous or not, of three entire seasons or of 36 months.

As you can see both types of "locally trained" players achieve this status between the ages 15-21.

So what is this 0-21, SI?

In FM2012, a player needs to be at the club either for three seasons or 36 months before he turns 21 to be counted as "trained by club (15-21)", and thus be counted as "homegrown" in european competitions. Appearantly he does not have to be at the club for three entire seasons to get this homegrown status. This means you have to sign the player before his 18th birthday (36 months), or he must be 17 or younger at the start of the season you sign him (3 seasons). To be safe I would recommend to sign before 18 and keep him at the club until he's HG as it seems a bit of a lottery the other way.

If a player turns 21 during his third season or during the season he reach 36 months, but before he actually reach the full 36, with the club he gets a homegrown status of "trained by club (0-21)". This counts as nothing for european registration, but I'm assuming it counts as homegrown in domestic registration in leagues such as the English Premier League.

I have no idea if this is how it's supposed to be, but it's how it is. It's way to little information about homegrown status in the game, as far as I know the only place to get some info is in the squad view in the OP screenshot, but this does not say anything about if its 0-21 or 15-21.

In FM2012, a player needs to be at the club either for three seasons or 36 months before he turns 21 to be counted as "trained by club (15-21)", and thus be counted as "homegrown" in european competitions. Appearantly he does not have to be at the club for three entire seasons to get this homegrown status. This means you have to sign the player before his 18th birthday (36 months), or he must be 17 or younger at the start of the season you sign him (3 seasons). To be safe I would recommend to sign before 18 and keep him at the club until he's HG as it seems a bit of a lottery the other way.

The player needs to be 'registered' with the club and will still get "HG at club" status if signed on his 18th birthday.

If a player turns 21 during his third season or during the season he reach 36 months, but before he actually reach the full 36, with the club he gets a homegrown status of "trained by club (0-21)". This counts as nothing for european registration, but I'm assuming it counts as homegrown in domestic registration in leagues such as the English Premier League.

Are you saying this is the way it works in FM, hence the 0-21? If you are, could you please tell me how you know this?

I have no idea if this is how it's supposed to be, but it's how it is. It's way to little information about homegrown status in the game, as far as I know the only place to get some info is in the squad view in the OP screenshot, but this does not say anything about if its 0-21 or 15-21.

It's supposed to be as per the regulations posted in #15, "Club" or "Nation" it's 15-21 years of age. The scenario you describe doesn't exist in those regulations, that's why it appears to be an SIism. It would be nice if someone from SI were to clear this up.

The player needs to be 'registered' with the club and will still get "HG at club" status if signed on his 18th birthday..

Yes, you can sign players on their 18th birthday too, and get the 15-21.

Are you saying this is the way it works in FM, hence the 0-21? If you are, could you please tell me how you know this?

I've only learnt from playing the game, so I'm not saying I know this for a fact, only that this is how I've found it to work in the game. I've only played FM12 with clubs in the Serie A, and haven't found any advantages with the 0-21 so I'm only guessing it's for domestic registration such as the EPL 25 man squad registration? But as a general rule I've found that players signed at 18(+1 day) and older turns "HG at club (0-21)". But if for instance a player turns 18 in july 2012, and you sign him in August 2012, he turns HG at the end of the 2014/15 season (before his 21th birthday) and thus gets the 15-21. As long as he is 17 or younger 1st of July you're safe.

It's supposed to be as per the regulations posted in #15, "Club" or "Nation" it's 15-21 years of age. The scenario you describe doesn't exist in those regulations, that's why it appears to be an SIism. It would be nice if someone from SI were to clear this up.

Yes, by how I understand the official Uefa rules, it appears to be a bug causing us to have to sign players a year earlier than we actually should need to. HG (0-21) are in reality HG (15-21) in most cases. Another possibly bug is players signed in the january window gets HG (15-21) after their third season (in other words less than 30 months after joining) with the game ignoring the "period starting with the first official match of the relevant

national championship"-part of the rules.

• 4 weeks later...
If i'm understanding it right, the 0-21 players are the ones that are signed after they turn 18?

I have a few 0-21 on my current save now, can't register them as HG for European competitions.

Except the rule is that of the 18th year compared to the season. In other words, if the player turned 18 the 30th of June and joins the 1st of July he won't become home-grown 15-21 in the game but he will in real life. The birthday has nothing to do with anything - it's the birth year that counts.

The rule is that if a player turns 19 before January 1st of his first season at the club or in the nation, he will not become home-grown at all. There is no such thing as HG 0-21!

I see thanks.

That seems to cause an issue with all those players from nations outside the EU that can't join until they are 18 if their birthday happens outside the transfer window.

It's not the xfer window, it's the season during which a players birthday occurs.

18.10 A “club-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the start of

the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during

which he turns 21), and irrespective of his nationality and age, has been

registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire

seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant

national championship and ending with the last official match of that relevant

national championship) or of 36 months.

So a player could turn 18 after the summer xfer window (e.g. Sept 2nd) then join your club at the start of the winter window and still become a "Club Trained Player".

• 2 years later...

Archived