FM09 should they change this ?

i do like the 2D match day pitch but it takes away things like how good the goals were and stuff, the thing is.. if they made it 3D then it would be to similiar to fifa and PES and they would have to concentrate to much on getting the graphics right..

what do you think?

3D would be awful.

The amount of bugs that were on the 2D match engine this year was far too much too handle, and changing to a 3D engine would be taking the game forward far too quickly.

I say get the 2D match engine perfect before even thinking of switching to a 3D match engine.

Originally posted by Ridleys:

3D would be awful.

The amount of bugs that were on the 2D match engine this year was far too much too handle, and changing to a 3D engine would be taking the game forward far too quickly.

I say get the 2D match engine perfect before even thinking of switching to a 3D match engine.

I agree

3D would be awful.

far too quickly??? this is not the nasa space program, we had 2d for four years....time for a change

Look at LMA and fifa manager - these are two crystal clear reasons why 3D match engines would not be a good idea.

A ridiculous number of animations would be required to do all of the things the 2D match engine does without looking silly - and any 3D engine can only have a finite number.

I mean, if the new PES can't get it right (with all their experience), how do you think SI are going to?

And yes, they probably would spend too much time on getting the graphics right.

wow this is a real good discussion lol i dunno really in my opinion i dont care there are plus's for both

+ i really want to be able to see the spectacular goals

- i dont want it looking rubbish though

maybe after a good goal is scored they can take all the players away just on the screen and all you can see i a 3D version of where the ball was hit and where it went into the goal but leave out the players (maybe just focus on the keepers and the ball ?

that would be cool as it would be a good compromise

I would be in favour of a combination of both.

I want to see my little dots running around in 2D so I can watch the whole match at a higher speed.

But I would like to see the highlights in 3D, seeing that overhead bicycle kick or you player lobbing the keeper would add a huge dimension.

knowing why the keeper just seemed to lie there and not move after saving a shot, only for a player much further away to run over and tap it in would also be clear. I shouldn't have to guess (imagine) that he is lying down, or on his knees and can't get there in time.

The 2D engine is still the best way to view a full match in my opinion.

3D matches would be bugger, repetative and spec intensive. I don't want to have to update my computer to handle a feature that at the moment won't add any enjoyment. Sure it would be cool to see a goal here and there to begin with, but when you've seen the same thing hundreds of times...or the same bug as the 3D graphics and match engine match up....you'll soon grow tired of it.

I like the 2D match engine. I love it in fact, I think it gets across a great deal of information and the 08 version looks a lot more organic than any previously. I can live without seeing it all in 3D, I have an imagination and I'm not afraid to use it icon_smile.gif

3D would be awful.

I kind of agreewith you, but i think they should change it at some point. I mean, i'm a big fan of LMA and everything about fm08 is better than it exept the matches. it would definatly take some getting used to though...

Oh not this ridiculous discussion again.

Does anyone really think that if SI haven't thought of 3D graphics before? Is the SI head programmer reading this thinking, "3D? D'oh! Why didn't we think of that sooner? Right, stop ALL the FM09 testing, we're going back to the drawing board." (Or maybe put it in FM10).

And, does anyone really think our opinions count? If SI are actually ABLE to put 3D graphics on the the game I'm sure they will. If it's possible, if it's playable and if it's commercially viable, they WILL implement 3D graphics. If not, they won't.

My opinion? At the moment the other games with 3D graphics are rubbish and the graphics do nothing to improve them. The graphics, although looking pretty at first, are quite dull and repetitive after a while. If it adds to the FM experience, do it. If not, don't.

Originally posted by Malcolm Syers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ridleys:

3D would be awful.

I kind of agreewith you, but i think they should change it at some point. I mean, i'm a big fan of LMA and everything about fm08 is better than it exept the matches. it would definatly take some getting used to though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was playting LMA yesterday for the first time ever, and the match engine was an absolute joke. Truly awful.

I say get the 2D match engine perfect.

In other words, 07's engine.

The current ME is in 3D you know. You can see the height of the ball and players jumping.

The 3D will put caps on everyone's head. The 2D may not be so detailed but it gives you rooms for imagination. For example, if the ball hit the bar and got in, the 3D will just show you as much; but for 2D you might say it hit the ball and the back of the keeper bounced to the inner post and rolled in. Your imagination is the most fun part. Don't lose it!

HELL NO! You gotta understand the imagination is a big fun factor and the fact the game being 2d makes it playable by fairly old computers as well, not everyone has super-dooper up-to-date PCs.

Just upgrade the current 2d game engine that is all. icon_smile.gif

Well lets be realistic. There is no way in hell SI are now going to make a 3D match engine in time for FM09 release.

Secondly. Have you ever watched a 3D AI vs AI match on PES of Fifa? Fifa Manager and LMA managers 3D match is rotten. And that' with the kind of experience EA have at making 3D crap.

I understand that everyone wants to see the likes of Ronaldo strutting his stuff like he does for UTd, or that goal that crashed in off the bar. It's not going to happen. Ever. It will never look smooth and flow like a real match. Not with AI vs AI anyway. So lets just drop this now.

arhhh as usual someone takes it the wrong way and everyone starts following like a sheep..

what i said was to have a match engine where when a goal is scored you can see in proper 3D without players just goalkeeper, ball and goal so you can see the flight of the ball

but i agree i love imagining cesc fabregas sliding a through ball to henry but i would like to see the way it hit the net in the 93 minute in injury avoiding the team from relegation

but i say that they should put it in 2011 so they can work on it until its perfect ...

this game must evolve somehow in the future

Originally posted by DietSpam:

It wont happen for FM11 either. I don't think they will ever go the full 3D like Fifa or PES and i'd be happy with that.

You call 3D evolving? Look at Fifa Manager and LMA.

Evolution is more about change than improvement. Revolution would be a better word for that icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by GoonerFM:

arhhh as usual someone takes it the wrong way and everyone starts following like a sheep..

Is this you speaking from your 3 days experience of the forum?

Originally posted by Box:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoonerFM:

Is this you speaking from your 3 days experience of the forum? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha.

Originally posted by GoonerFM:

what i said was to have a match engine where when a goal is scored you can see in proper 3D without players just goalkeeper, ball and goal so you can see the flight of the ball

but i agree i love imagining cesc fabregas sliding a through ball to henry but i would like to see the way it hit the net in the 93 minute in injury avoiding the team from relegation

but i say that they should put it in 2011 so they can work on it until its perfect ...

this game must evolve somehow in the future

Making the game 3D wouldn't evolve it, it would be 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I think the 2D system is brilliant, unique and just better than having a 3D one, where the graphics resemble something from FIFA 2000.

it would be great to have a 3d match engine, fifa have one and while its far from perfect looks a hell of a lot better than watching blobs run around a 2d pitch. there is no way they will have 3d though, if they cant get a 2d match engine anywhere near decent what hope do they have?

(btw fm 07 match engine was absolutely amazing.)

I would love to see some form of 3d element, it doesn't have to be pretty, even just the dots in 3d, and on an axonometric angle (sim city style) so you can see depth, hight advantages / disadvantages, and alow for better explanation of what happens.

Yes its nice to use your imaginenation for a while, but then i just end up holidaying evey game just to get the result. I loose interest in the 2d ME very quickly, and would love some other fun stuff to play around with so you can view the match and your players

Some ideas id like to see:

Panable 3d match screen so you can move around the pitch zooming in and out - not in awesome life like graphics - but maybe classy pollygon type players, showing their height and colour of thier hair - thats it, no facial features etc, thet will ruin the 'imagination' element and perhaps slow down the game.

Viewable stadiums, so when you get an expansion, you can see it under construction etc. Same with training facilities and youth academy. Also include other construcable items, such as addition car parks ( increase game day tickets and revinue), accomadation features ( better condition recovery times)

A goal replay feature like PES - lots of dif angles etc.

Goal celbrations - make them a bit more involving - show the crowd go nuts as your player runs up to them with arms raised...ect

Crowd tiffos - ballon displays, banners etc. all in the teams colour and varying on importance of the game.

thats all i can think of at the mo, but i really want to see more graphical imput into FM09

Originally posted by fmfan08:

what if we had an option for say.....both?

Lets wait 'till SI can handle one match engine before we think about asking for two.

As for the whole thread:

icon13.gif ... 3D would be completely unecessary for a game of this style. Why does EA have one, you ask? - Because their complete morons.

It has to be either fully 3D or not at all. How much would you like a little loading screen to pop up when you score a goal so it can load the 3D version of your players celebrating, which you don't need to watch anyway? Interspersing random 3D bits wouldn't work.

hi all, I think the FM2009 could bring useless to our coge wages. I was wondering, would be very REAL COOL if we could use this money to buy a small team after safe a lot of it and become the president of the team. So we can hire a coge that will gonna make the training, tactics, substitutions or a manager so we don't have to buy players for the team. Stays how we choose at the time we HIRE: a coge or a manager.

So we can buy players for the team, hire/employ people to staff and everything. As well as invest on traines senior and youth, built stadium, negotiate sponsors and be in control of all money. I think would be AWESOME. But I also think that wouldn't be cool if would be possible to be the manager of my own team.

Originally posted by Denken:

hi all, I think the FM2009 could bring useless to our coge wages. I was wondering, would be very REAL COOL if we could use this money to buy a small team after safe a lot of it and become the president of the team. So we can hire a coge that will gonna make the training, tactics, substitutions or a manager so we don't have to buy players for the team. Stays how we choose at the time we HIRE: a coge or a manager.

So we can buy players for the team, hire/employ people to staff and everything. As well as invest on traines senior and youth, built stadium, negotiate sponsors and be in control of all money. I think would be AWESOME. But I also think that wouldn't be cool if would be possible to be the manager of my own team.

A. This has absolutely nothing to do with the original topic.

B. This has already been discussed and shot-down numerous times.

C. What's a "coge"?

The game has plenty of other areas that need much improvement before a 3D match engine should even be considered. The 2D is perfect for analyzing the game and building your tactics.

I'd prefer if they spend extra time overhauling the transfer market system, the morale and confidence areas, and the player interaction rather than making sure the 3D player looks good in his uniform.

Archived