Is this a bug or just me missing something?

Yaya Sanogo played one game for Auxerre in the first season, before signing for Manchester City. While at Man City he was placed on the loan list, I signed him on loan for 3 months for 3 months in September. He went on play 13 games for me scoring 7 goals. When the notice came in that the loan was about to end, I decided to try and sign him. Eventually cost me £7.25 million over 4 years. His loan ended 5 days before the transfer window reopened. He returned to Man City during those 5 days and played one game for them, coming on as a sub. When the transfer back to my club went through on January 1st, I couldn't register him to play as he's already played for two different clubs in a one year period. I'm £7.25 million out, and can't play him, even though I was the second club he played for, before he ever played a game for Man City, who actually became his third club in a year.

Is there some obscure rule I don't know about, or is it a bug that needs looking at.

Yes he played one game for Auxerre, signed for Man City, never played a game for them before signing for me, so I was the second club he played for. He was with me between September and December, went back to Man City because his 3 months loan was up, when he agreed to sign for me he still hadn't played for them. Then after he agreed his contract with me, Man City brought him on as a sub for one game. 2 days later his transfer to me goes through and his status is marked as ineligible as he's already played for two clubs.

All i could think was the loan didn't count too, if i'd known this could have happened i'd have never tried to sign him.

He played official games for Auxerre and Manchester City on the same season if i'm getting it right, he can't play for a third club(don't think that loans count for those rules) until the season ends.

The problem was that he played one game for City on January.

you are sport on, sorry i completely missed the Auxerre bit!

To make it worse, i'd already agreed to sell Jermaine Beckford who he was replacing, now i'm really short of players up front, and no money to bring anyone else in. My own fault I guess, but didn't know this could happen.

In real life a transfer of this nature would never go through without an assurance from the selling club that they're not going to screw you by playing the guy in a game in the five days between the transfer being agreed and the window opening. Furthermore, you can bet this would result in legal action between the clubs.

My gut would be it's a bug.

When that sort of thing happens I generally resign, leave the Club in the lurch & get myself another job, with more money & a better reputation club; just like a real-life Football Manager. Wow, I'd forgotten how realistic this game was!

Short term loans don't count towards this rule and so his time at you on loan do not count as his second club of the season.

Had you already made the permanent bid for him when Man City played him?

"when he agreed to sign for me he still hadn't played for them. Then after he agreed his contract with me, Man City brought him on as a sub for one game."

Sounds like he had

Archived