How can the manager of a record breaking team NOT win Manager of the Year?!!

So in my first season I racked up 120 points in the Blue Square Premier with Grimsby, breaking Crawley's points record for the division.

David Hockaday's Forest Green finished 40 (yes, FORTY!), points behind my team, but got promoted via the playoffs.

My team had a +70 goal difference, we scored 40 more goals than Forest Green, and conceded 20 less.

We also won the FA Trophy.

Now can someone please tell me why David Hockaday won Manager of the Year, and not me???

It's not based on whether you've won the league or what trophies you've won during the season. It's based on how your team have done. So Grimsby were predicted to finish 7th iirc and you've not only won the league with them but have won it fairly comfortably. Forest Green Rovers were predicted to finish in the relegation spots iirc and they've won the Play-Offs. I think that achievement out ranks yours and that's why he's won it :thup:.

It's not based on whether you've won the league or what trophies you've won during the season. It's based on how your team have done. So Grimsby were predicted to finish 7th iirc and you've not only won the league with them but have won it fairly comfortably. Forest Green Rovers were predicted to finish in the relegation spots iirc and they've won the Play-Offs. I think that achievement out ranks yours and that's why he's won it :thup:.

I can see how that would work, but does a team that is expected to finish 16th and gets promoted via the playoffs really carry more weight in the game than a team who are predicted to finish 7th, but actually win the league with 120 points (a new league record!), with such a massive margin of both points and goals scored / conceded between the two teams?! Doesn't seem quite right to me, but no problem. I'll live! : )

The thing is Grimsby aren't actually a bad side and the Forest Green Rovers manager would have had less money and wages to spend. So yes, in theory he should still have won.

The team predicted to win 1st had more money than his team yet did not accomplish the same. He should've won the award.

Money and expectations aside, in my second season at Ajax I managed to win the league, dutch cup and the Champions League. One could argue that that would be sufficient to win the Manager of the Year title, but alas; John van den Brom, back at ADO Den Haag wins it, cause he finished 10th (which is about on par with the expectations for such a team) :confused:

Being the grey mouse of the competition isn’t actually a big achievement imho.

What? :confused:

Anyway, I finished 6th with Wolves and won Manager of the Year, so right now I have no problems with the award. In real life, I think Mick would be knighted for taking Wolves to 6th :D

Archived